Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bricked OTT TV BOX M8S

Hello.

I presume, that I have bricked my OTT TV BOX Model: M8S. I flashed OpenELEC from this link via USB pendrive (recovery method):
    http://amlinux.ru/image/5.0.8/OpenEL....arm-5.0.8.zip
    After flashing my device is almost dead. Almost, because USB Burning Tool (I have tried several versions, included most recent)
    is recognizing device correctly, but flasing is impossible. After 9 seconds flashing process stops at 2% and i can hear sound
    from Windows like disconnecting device from USB port, and connecting after few seconds. This "flashing" process never exceed 2%
    and always stops on "Download DDR" status.

There is no indication (device has only one blue LED on front panel) on front LED. Three different USB cables has been checked,
    on two computers (both Win7 64bit). Drivers are installed correctly.

Error code is:
    [0x10105002]Romcode/Initialize DDR/Read initialize status/USB Control setup error
    Some logs:
    [21:51:29 030][HUB5-4][Err]--[21:51:29 030][HUB5-4][Inf]--Failure : 2, FailureMax : 3
    [21:51:29 539][HUB5-4][Err]--usb_get_configuration ret=-5 error_msg=sending get cached configuration ioctl failed, win error: [Device is not connected]*
    [21:51:29 539][HUB5-4][Inf]--Failure : 3, FailureMax : 3
    [21:51:29 539][HUB5-4][Err]--[0x10105002]Romcode/Initialize DDR/Read initialize status/USB Control setup error
    *[This part is in Polish, so translation is probably slightly wrong].
    Images 3, 4 and 5 show flasher app status.

I have tried all possible firmwares from many sources, none of them boots from SD card. I assume, that I'm making bootable SD
    card correctly:
    1. BootcardMaker,
    2. Choose u-boot.bin from firmware package.
    3. I have tried two SD cards (32gb and 2gb) with FAT32 and FAT file system formatting with different sector size.
    4. After formatting all files from firmware archive has been copied to SD card.

PCB (top and bottom view) of my device (red circles is my mod): attachments 1 and 2.
    Look at silk layer: Top layer says that is M8 V8_6, bottom sticker says M8S.
    Before bricking, I have checked processor with CPU-Z: S812 has been recognized.

Questions:
    1. Is there any person on this forum, who have exactly this device and have flashed it correctly? If yes - with firmware did You use?
    2. Do I have a chance to dump entire flash via UART from identical, unbricked device and send it to bricked one?
    3. Do You have any suggestions (maybe different SD firmware) to revive this 50$ coffee holder?

Greetings from Poland.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by redliquid; 10-29-2015, 08:08.

Connect it to an USB 3.0 port, maybe it doesn't have enough power.

Comment

Originally posted by csgabe View Post
      Connect it to an USB 3.0 port, maybe it doesn't have enough power.
      Hi,

I have tried that. USB2 and USB3 behave the same way. Today I will try again to connect 29 and 30 pin of NAND flash by soldering mod wires + jumper to them. Maybe before I tried that (needle between pins) connection wasn't stable enough.

Anyone else have an idea?

Greetings.

Comment

You read my topic? in polish : Czytałeś mój temat ? http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-model-kca-003

In this model, it seems to me that you have to give jumper for USB Burning ROM. Do not connect the AC adapter , the power has to be USB Use the USB port , which is on the left . On the corner.

If you do not succeed , try with the SD card as described.

Pozdro z Polski

Comment

Originally posted by hipisxbit View Post
          You read my topic? in polish : Czytałeś mój temat ? http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-model-kca-003
          I will read Your topic all again, maybe i missed something. Czytałem.

Comment

I have read all Your topics again. Unfortunately none of Your methods works with my device :/ Seller sent me firmware ( https://mega.nz/#!jx4jTBwQ!dWJmjB9NT...YD_hXDyFThv66o ) but his firmware also doesn't work.

Is there any change to flash this device via UART port? Have someone tried that?

Comment

Hi,

First of all - thanks to hipisxbit for his help.

I have successfuly recovered my OTT TV BOX M8S. Firmware, that I tried to flash via USB Burning Tool was incorrect. For other people, who has bricked that device: if USB Burning Tool is recognizing device, there is no need to do anything with NAND pins nor OTG jumper (if You have one). Proper *.img file for USB Burning Tool is essential. If you have incorrect file, there will be errors like I described in the first post.

For my device proper img file I found on baido. Downloading was pain in the ass, so I created a mirror for future use (maybe someone will need that file):

https://mega.nz/#!1Fw1Ta5a!0kpwpqjiY...Q-B09FRcGrsAHY

File Name: cyx_m8s_v8.6_ap6330_8g2g_kodi_addons_ota_150908_US B.img

I suppose, that this device has been manufactured by cyx (or cyxtech). I recognized valid file by "V8.6" label on device PCB silkscreen and "V8.6" inside the file name. Also WIFI module (AP6330) was the same.

I flashed device with power plug connected (without it USB Burning Tool (and Windows) did not recognized device). After "Start" button was clicked, my device restarted once after 6% or something like that, and after two minutes of progress I saw "Burning successfully" message. Device is fully functional. Happy end.

Greetings from Poland!
              Last edited by redliquid; 04-10-2016, 18:50.

Comment

Thank you for this post! I found that it enabled me to get my M8 to come back to life! I have an OTT S812 M8 2G/8G box which had "K200.BCM4335" in the original firmware readout when the machine first ran. Then, like many people here, I tried flashing an update which did not work. My M8 was dead to the world - no blue light, no red light, no nothing. I attempted to boot with an SD card using the SD card maker software, but it would never boot. Then I started trying .img files with the Amlogic USB tool. My M8 was seen by my PC, so that was a good sign, but I kept getting the failure at 2% - the error thrown on the Amlogic USB tool was "romcode/initialize ddr/read initialize status/usb control setup error". I tried .img after .img until this one in the link above went beyond the 2% and I'm back in business. The only problem is the wireless doesn't work as this build is for that 6330 WIFI, not the 4335 one. As I use wired LAN only, it's no big deal. I am just grateful to have a functional machine again. Thank you RedLiquid!

Comment

Originally posted by zebra14 View Post
                  Thank you for this post! I found that it enabled me to get my M8 to come back to life! I have an OTT S812 M8 2G/8G box which had "K200.BCM4335" in the original firmware readout when the machine first ran. Then, like many people here, I tried flashing an update which did not work. My M8 was dead to the world - no blue light, no red light, no nothing. I attempted to boot with an SD card using the SD card maker software, but it would never boot. Then I started trying .img files with the Amlogic USB tool. My M8 was seen by my PC, so that was a good sign, but I kept getting the failure at 2% - the error thrown on the Amlogic USB tool was "romcode/initialize ddr/read initialize status/usb control setup error". I tried .img after .img until this one in the link above went beyond the 2% and I'm back in business. The only problem is the wireless doesn't work as this build is for that 6330 WIFI, not the 4335 one. As I use wired LAN only, it's no big deal. I am just grateful to have a functional machine again. Thank you RedLiquid!
                  This firmware should work with wifi and bluetooth:
                  MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

If not, try this - SD Card method should start, when device is booting properly:
                  MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now
                  Last edited by redliquid; 03-03-2016, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by redliquid View Post

This firmware should work with wifi and bluetooth:

If not, try this - SD Card method should start, when device is booting properly:
                    https://mega.nz/#!9d5ywa6S!mW7scmK3N...HDYv7e_y5_a300

Good sir,

I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you, like zebra14 I tried img after img I was so close to tossing the thing through the window lol (ok maybe not..) actually yes maybe...

Finally passed the dreaded 2% mark and back in business, the box I bought is this:
                    http://www.****.com/itm/391402448409...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you know of a working .img for Android 5.1.1 or even 6.0 ?

Comment

Hi interesting thread I have a new M8 purchased 2 weeks ago on a sticker underneath the PCB is M8-ver 8.9 2G-8G.
                      In the advanced tab in settings is Model K200 Android 4,4,2
                      Build K200. BCM433520160126
                      Kernel 3.10.33
                      Ubuntu @ Google server#1
                      Processor is not listed I presume S812 I wish to check this with CPU-Z and I have dowloaded and installed this on my W7 64bit computer and it is working fine. I understand from a tutorial on YTube that this program can be run from a flash drive. Is this how I check the CPU in my new M8. At the moment my PC will not recognize my M8 using a male to male USB cable. I am stuck at the moment until I can identify the processor in this box. Any info on how to do this would be appreciated. Altstart

Comment

Originally posted by Altstart View Post
                        Hi interesting thread I have a new M8 purchased 2 weeks ago on a sticker underneath the PCB is M8-ver 8.9 2G-8G.
                        In the advanced tab in settings is Model K200 Android 4,4,2
                        Build K200. BCM433520160126
                        Kernel 3.10.33
                        Ubuntu @ Google server#1
                        Processor is not listed I presume S812 I wish to check this with CPU-Z and I have dowloaded and installed this on my W7 64bit computer and it is working fine. I understand from a tutorial on YTube that this program can be run from a flash drive. Is this how I check the CPU in my new M8. At the moment my PC will not recognize my M8 using a male to male USB cable. I am stuck at the moment until I can identify the processor in this box. Any info on how to do this would be appreciated. Altstart
                        1. You should install CPU-Z at the M8 device, not W7 (via play store).
                        2. If device is fully functional You should install proper drivers first.

Comment

Originally posted by eddybear View Post

Good sir,

I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you, like zebra14 I tried img after img I was so close to tossing the thing through the window lol (ok maybe not..) actually yes maybe...

Finally passed the dreaded 2% mark and back in business, the box I bought is this:
                          http://www.****.com/itm/391402448409...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you know of a working .img for Android 5.1.1 or even 6.0 ?
                          I haven't tried to install Android 5/6 on my M8S, so I can't help You with this one. The only advise I have You should try image after image. Maybe some will work. Chinese clones are unpredictable.

Comment

This was an excellent post, a big thanks to redliquid for coming back to update on his results. His solution worked for me also. It was a big hint that as long as the box is showing Connect Success in USB Burn Tool that the only issue to overcome was having the right image file... for me, the image file posted above for the V8.6 box worked, although my board says M8 V8_9

Another hint is that once the burn tool shows Connect Success, you can release the toothpick or whatever is holding down the reset button.

As it went through the process, it got past the 2% barrier quite quickly, got to around 6%, then showed an error. I just waited as I heard the USB disconnect then reconnect chimes, and after a few seconds it started again, and this time completed with no problems.

Here is a pic of my board for anyone that wants to compare. NAND Chip is H27UCG8T2ETH 608A - M8 V8_9 (sold as M8S):

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by disstopic View Post
                              This was an excellent post, a big thanks to redliquid for coming back to update on his results. His solution worked for me also. It was a big hint that as long as the box is showing Connect Success in USB Burn Tool that the only issue to overcome was having the right image file... for me, the image file posted above for the V8.6 box worked, although my board says M8 V8_9

Another hint is that once the burn tool shows Connect Success, you can release the toothpick or whatever is holding down the reset button.

As it went through the process, it got past the 2% barrier quite quickly, got to around 6%, then showed an error. I just waited as I heard the USB disconnect then reconnect chimes, and after a few seconds it started again, and this time completed with no problems.

Here is a pic of my board for anyone that wants to compare. NAND Chip is H27UCG8T2ETH 608A - M8 V8_9 (sold as M8S):
                              I'm glad, that my information was helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X