Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8S SUPER COOLING MOD

MY LATEST ADVENTURE WITH THE M8S TV BOX

I had the idea of liquid cooling my m8s tv box but just couldn't think how to accomplish this without the diy skills to cut measure and to drill components,so i had an apifany,i new that cooking oil can be used as a submersible oil as it can be used for simple household oiling of hinges etc,but i thought it's none conductive with circuit boards so why not drown the poor thing in that?Bad idea?The preperation before hand was for me to produce a shim a copper plate shim to be precise,I had a copper hp ml370 g4 server heatsing so i wobbled the fins off that and hey presto cut the stick up edges off with scissors and you have a neat tidy rectangle flat copper shim,and not the cheap nasty 2% copper either,i then heatgun removed the M8S heatsink via 100c and lifted it off with a flathead screwdriver,it was a stuborn one.After this i isopropyl cleaned the lot and then mounted the the shimm i simply glued each corner of the chips with locktite and pressed the shim on really hard but not enought to damage the solder balls beneath the chip,i then added a 5v micro fan to he shim locktite glued again and filed a hole for the cable to escape.

Then i got the tupaware box clip on lid heavy duty medium sized and heated a stanley knife,and cut a corner esacape for each edge for any extra wires,ie.hdmi/fan cable/usb 2 cable for powered usb hub,i then got the now put back together M8S TVbox and placed it in the tupaware box with the vents facing upward towards the lid, I got a bottle of cooking oil and simply poured it into the tupaware i did this on the vents on the bottom of the M8S box firstly in order to be sure it was filled wit oil,i then continued to fill and rock the tupaware occasionally to be sure the oiled had filled all gaps and spaces.

I then got the lid heated a stanley knife after i maked around the 90mm zalman fan i use in order to score the outline,i then cut with the heated stanley knife to remove the section full size of the fan,this meant the fan could fall through the hole when pressed on,i then hotglued the corners of the fan in order to make it stick to the lid with the fan blowing inside with the fan it self raised of the lid,leaving a nice gap inside the tupaware between the lid and the oil,so that when it's turned on thereis a space o circulating cold air above the oil which is coninuous acting like a cheap radiator i suppose you could say.

Any way the results from antutu testing are linked below and i wll get some pictures of the box uploaded,it's rudimentary it looks crude because it is,but it works very well,and very efficiently,i am impressed by the gain in speed and fluency,i will get some videos linked but it may be some time yet as busy.

http://bu.antutu.net/s/?p=f814b51e21...3cb0afc499fe72

VIDEO

Hi everyone i have returned with my m8s tv box,i have shimmed the soc and ram chiips.But for something more adventurous idecided to oil cool it in a tupaware...

Sorry about the filming angles it's done on a phone,but here's a small snippet of it as it stands completed,I'm currently uploading a stability test showing gta san andreas playing and folder surfing,sorry for the terrible commentary on the upload which i will post asap here i am no celebrity lol.

Video 2

Last edited by PHYSC; 04-05-2016, 23:52.
    What is the world if you don't explore?

Got any fries to go with that? Should keep it from rusting too.
    I have taken some pretty extreme cooling measures before, but you take the cake.
    I see you are living up to your sig.
    Looking forward to the pictures.

Comment

I still like the usb case fan and cork board pins crazy glued for feet attached with 2 rubber bands to the feet. Cheap fast and cools without ripping the box apart. 😛
      Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

I used stability test no root app to run a stress test,went out all day and just got back after leaving it run,13 hours 45 minutes later and it was still going strong.The bonus of it was that it remained around 44c temp all that time,so yes the box is running pretty simlarily to what pc temps under liquid cooling would run at.The cat meowed interrupting the recording the camera is shaky but I'll upload the video soon and post it as a proof of that test,the cpu temp app i didn't record but clearly it shows 1000's of cycle processes for both cpu and gpu on the results as it runs through the testing phase.
        What is the world if you don't explore?

Comment

Working...
        X