OpenElec vs Android + Kodi for M8S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenElec vs Android + Kodi for M8S

Ho there, folks! Some time ago I've purchased M8S OTT Box. Now, I have Android on it, and it does seem to run fluently. Today I'm wondering, whether OpenElec will perform better on it? Main purpose is to watch IPTV and stream movies/serials. Besides, s812 does not seem to me as a gaming platform, so yeah, I'm gonna use it for KODI only. But before changing anything I would like to hear some feedback on the matter. So the question is are there any courageous dudes here that dared to try OE on M8S?
    Last edited by rgnr; 06-27-2016, 06:33. Reason: added tags

if you are only using it for kodi I would suggest openelec
    Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

kinda a late reply but for streaming just about any linux/kodi solution is always better then a android/kodi solution... As suggested OpenElec is worth looking at tho you will find that officially OpenElec doesn't support the M8S unless you look at one of the spin-off developements that support the non-official boxes... I have my own private developement based specifically on the M8S hardware and it works great (even better then the newer S9xx boxes from the same manufacturer)... its been awhile since i looked at support for the M8S from OpenElec or LibreElec but the last time i did look there wasn't very much for the M8S that was using the current 16.1 kodi... Surkovalex might be the place to start as he did have both a M8S and a S812 project in one of his earlier source trees but it was using 15.2 kodi... the other good thing was he actually had the right remote and proper AP6330 drivers so everthing actually did work... unfortunately the last time i looked tho his and most others like Libreelec developements didnt have M8S projects as they seem to be mostly supporting other boxes like the newer Arch64 driven boxes... If your not afraid to get your hands dirty and learn to develope its not to hard to take the older Surkovalex development tree and start upgrading the important packages in it.. things like gcc and the linux and kodi trees can be ujpdated to run even the newest 17 based alphas on the M8S... compared to the S802/S805 based boxes the S812 M8S box works extremely well but your probably gonna have to do a fair amount of your own work to get there... if your interested in going down that road and want to put in the work start a thread on the topic and see that i get the link and i will help where i can in posting in regards to the subject... i just have limited time so i tend to just check in here every few days...

Android on these boxes really is a waste of resouces unless theres something specific you need that only runs on Android, otherwise Linux is truly the answer as there are some many things that can be coded up to run on the hardware using Linux... currenty ive got web browser, rom emulators for all the old game boxes and satelite setups as well... most of this type of stuff you probably wont see out in the general public and most public develpements seem to be based on wider support for many differnt boxes which can make things like those extras to hard to create release ready projects available... eg; trying to get a web browser can be a real because of the different programming issues hardware wise... thats why i picked a specific box and developed only for it... As much as i hate Eny's lack of any real software support i find they actually make a decent hardware build so ive stuck with them over the years...

just some thoughts... hope they help...

Comment

Working...
      X