Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I still save my M8S+ ?

Hi everyone,
    I am new here, and I own a OTT M8S+. Recently my unit has been performing poorly and most recently doing random boot up for no reason. I open up the unit to check if there are any signs of faulty component. I notice this one cylinder shape component that looked as if it was leaking. Could this be the issue of the random boot up? What is the component called? Thank you.
    Attached Files

Hi AbeATV

If I was to hazard a guess I would say that it sounds like one of the resistors.

Can you add a picture that can illustrate where it is and what it is for those in the know when it comes to electrical circuitry to give more informed advice and opitions?

Thanks.
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Hello, from the picture, this looks like a capacitor from what I can see, however cannot be certain from picture. Caps do leak, but that is alot of leakage if it came from that component. Still, cannot rule it out. Can you make out any printing on the suspected component?

In any event, if you have a suitable substitute power supply, I would try it before digging into the board.
      A suitable substitute power supply will have, Identical Volts(usually 5vdc in these devices), equal or better current(Amps), a connector that fits your device, and very important, Tip Polarity must be the same, usually "tip positive" in these devices. All of these are usually displayed on the Power supply, so make comparison with the original.
      ​​​​​​Good luck.

​​

Comment

Here you go. Please help to identify that component.
        Attached Files

Comment

That component is a quartz,he is conected to the processor and is running on a specific frequency.

Comment

You are correct. Further inspection I found the number "32768" when when I google lead me to this

I suspect the brown stuff is not from that component. I didn't see any sign of leaking. Maybe the brown stuff was from the factory?

Comment

I think the Brown Stuff is some sort of Glue.
              They used it to fix it on the PCB.
              Maybe your Power Supply is faulty and Outputs not anymore the needed Stable Power.
              Can you try it with a different one?
              Also, you can try this Firmware on your Box --> http://download.probox2.com/PROBOX2-...S-20161221.zip

Neomode

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
                I think the Brown Stuff is some sort of Glue.
                They used it to fix it on the PCB.
                Maybe your Power Supply is faulty and Outputs not anymore the needed Stable Power.
                Can you try it with a different one?
                Also, you can try this Firmware on your Box --> http://download.probox2.com/PROBOX2-...S-20161221.zip

Neomode

I suspect the reboot/freeze problem was due to the plastic pin holding down the heat sink was damaged causing the heat sink to not fully touch the CPU. I should have done temperature test.

I'll try to do a few more test with different power adapter and see if it remain stable.

As for the firmware you suggest, I can't update my M8S+ as I am getting this error:

Thank you.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                X