Using old AMD CPU heat sink on my M8S+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using old AMD CPU heat sink on my M8S+

I was not happy with the high temperature on my OTT M8S+. So I did a test by first turning the unit upside down and exposed the bottom in an air conditioned room at about 25 degree Celsius.

As you can see, the M8S+ original heat sink is held down by cable ties. The original clip was damaged beyond repair and it was one of the reason why my M8S+ had earlier suffer constant reboots as the heat sink was not fully touching the chip.

On idle with the original heat sink, the temperature hovers around 65 degree Celsius.

It goes up to over 90 when running 3D Mark especially during physic test.

..and around 80s running youtube at 720p/60fps.

So I got a hold of an old AMD CPU heat sink lying around and temporary replacing the small heat sink on my M8S+ unit but using the same thermal pad. I didn't even clamp down the heat sink.

The result I got was better than the original heat sink.

Idle temp went down to around 45 degree Celsius

...and reach as high as 65 with 3D Mark

Finally the temperature hovers around 58 with the same youtube video.

Looking at the statistic, it seems the bigger heat sink managed to keep my M8S+ temperature below 70C.

I'm thinking to try out another test using the original tiny heat sink but with fan attached to it although I prefer passive cooling to keep the noise down. Unfortunately passive cooling with this heat sink means my M8S+ will end up looking ugly.

What do you guys think?

Hi mate, On this forum do a search and you will find a lot of info on cooling these boxes.
    Have fun and a few laughs at what you find.
    Cheers
    Kevin

Comment

Hi ,

On the big E u can buy ThermoPads for cooling the CPUs . Until now i did not try it but want to

order some in the near Future . Looks interesting . And what about a Fan mod ???

nice Day

gefattern

Comment

Here it is, modding my M8S+ with the old AMD heat sink. The heat sink itself is held down by hot glue on the case itself but not on the board as I worried about damaging it. I decided not to use any CPU fan just to save money and eliminate noise.

I did CPU temperature test and I'm getting reading as high as 71 degree Celsius, a bit higher than I tested earlier but it may be due to the fact that early test result was without bottom cover and was upside down making heat dissipate faster.

The heat sink was quite warm to the touch but not enough to burn my finger so I was happy with the result I'm getting.

My next attempt at doing this kind of modding will be on my Alfawise H96+ Pro unit.

Comment

• trebor
          trebor commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks Great
          You pass the excellence in butchery with a cause
      Working...
      X