Few quick questions about X8-H Plus..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few quick questions about X8-H Plus..

Been interested in this box for a while. One key draw for me is that it's capable of Dreamcast emulation.

Seems like this is the place to be for the discussion (xda developers forums for this device seem quiet).

I love idea of having a remote control which I can use to voice input a song name... have it play. Currently doing exactly that on my CyanogenMod 11 galaxy s3 and liking it.

I can launch Google voice search by double pressing my home button on my s3. Searching for music opens the Google Play Music app. (Lovely stuff).

1), know its possible to change the launcher on these x8-h plus box; .... is it possible to go one further and somehow configure one of x8-h plus's remote control buttons to launch Google Voice Search?

2) Amazon Fire TV remote has a dedicated voicesearch button. If I were to aqquire on of those, what do u think are the chances of getting it working with this MINIX box? And, potentially being able to config the voicesearch button to launch Google now?

3) are there any custom ROMs yet which resemble lollipop and its material design? --I'm sure 4.4 would be good enough with a good launcher but it would be nice to know before buying it.

4) Netflix.. is it still imited to 720p? (Android app)

5) YouTube android app.. YT on movie phones seems to be limited to 720p playback these days.. how about on this MINIX box?

6) 4K. Its really great that it can do 4k video using minix's stock app, but can the XBMC (the one they bundle with it) handle the same? (I'm not concerned whether that's through h265 or not).

Lastly, sorry if this sounds like a lazy post, I know the information is probably in these forums somewhere, but I'm having a bsuy day and spent too long trying to dig up info on xda already :-S
    Last edited by SkEvol; 04-01-2015, 12:51.

I will try to answer some of your questions.

Originally posted by SkEvol View Post

3) are there any custom ROMs yet which resemble lollipop and its material design? --I'm sure 4.4 would be good enough with a good launcher but it would be nice to know before buying it.
    None that I know of.

4) Netflix.. is it still imited to 720p? (Android app)
    limited to 480p only.

5) YouTube android app.. YT on movie phones seems to be limited to 720p playback these days.. how about on this MINIX box?
    limited to 720p.

6) 4K. Its really great that it can do 4k video using minix's stock app, but can the XBMC (the one they bundle with it) handle the same? (I'm not concerned whether that's through h265 or not).
    yes.

Comment

@WeK05

Hi, I identified you as "Audio Visual Master" at the minix forum, so I ask you here, are you sure about the 4k at the stock (13.3) xbmc?
      I didn't tried it but yesterday I tried to find out which changes are made at the new 13.3.3 (really hard work ) and at 13.3.3 BETA 5 I found "- Added 4K playback support for X8-H PLUS" (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/v1...-13#post-20732)...
      So I ask my self, why do I get a X8-H PLUS already flashed with fw003 but with old 13.3 instead of 13.3.3 final (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/of...nix-fota.4050/) and also no update via FOTA???
      THX
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

no_spam_for_me

Minix XBMC 13.3.3 final version is here : http://www.minixforum.com/threads/v13-3-3-final.4044/

I have no direct association with Minix. This is just my personal reasoning. Minix XBMC is usually updated along with a new firmware. Since fw004 hasn't been released yet, fw003 is still bundled with 13.3. May be Minix doesn't want a beta version to be bundled with the firmware. I don't know. The final version supports 4K playback, but I don't think 13.3 supports it. I have lost track of all the different versions .

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
          [USER="34763"]... I have lost track of all the different versions .
          You too ?
          (I don't understand why they don't post a change log)

RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Kodi (xbmc) 14 works like a charm. I deleted xbmc 13

Comment

Meanwhile, because of crashes at 13.3.3, I'm using SPMC 14.2
              Semper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

BTW: you can install MINIX-version, KODI and SPMC parallel...
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Yes you can, I only deleted xbmc 13 because I don't use it anymore.

Comment

I use kodi 14.2 and it's work good except the kodi crash when I wake the box up so it's mean it's crash if you have kodi open and put the box into sleep and when you wake the box, I use kodi as launcher so it's restart the kodi every time I wake the box it's a bit annoying, minix have not got any improvement at this side
                  Last edited by Shadi86; 04-26-2015, 13:30.

Comment

It is not minix's fault it crashes. It is how kodi is designed. It also happens (not always) when switching between screens.

Comment

I do not think it's Kodi fault also, I think it's more that minix have the deep sleep and that makes it crashes maybe I have wrong, the crash also happens when I watch live TV channel, so it's difficult to say that it's only how kodi it's designed.

Edit: it's happen also with spmc, and I want to notice that I have few other box and I have no crash at all with them, only with minix I have crash.

Comment

Your right, MINIX has admitted that the sleep mode is buggy and on the next update (just read it on the MINIX forum)

Comment

Shaking the dust off this thread in case anyone has any info about my question s 1 & 2. (Op)

; basically I'm still looking into voice input on android and wondering, since this box doesnt have a mic in jack, would it be possible to use a USB microphone to activate 'OK Google' on the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by SkEvol View Post

; basically I'm still looking into voice input on android and wondering, since this box doesnt have a mic in jack, would it be possible to use a USB microphone to activate 'OK Google' on the machine?
                            Yes, I use the built-in mic from my USB webcam for "OK Google"

Comment

That's great to hear that it's possible :-) do you find it useful?

Comment

Working...
                              X