Android Lollipop 5.1.1 on Minix x8-h Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android Lollipop 5.1.1 on Minix x8-h Plus

I am trying to put Lollipop on my Minix x8-h Plus.

I have flashed the PROBOX2 EX+ ROM on it and it works fine with few exceptions. There is no sound/Audio from the headphone jack, the IR remote does not work, the A2 Remote works with its basic functions, some settings such as digital sound other than PCM, e.g. HDMI and Display zoom are non-persistent. Also, some unpredictable freezes occur especially when Kodi is running.

WeTek Core which has an almost identical HW has issued a recent FW version 1.2 with combined Lollipop and OpenElec (dual boot). So far, I have not been successful in installing this FW on the x8-h Plus.

Hans anyone tried either FW from PROBOX2, with more luck, or the WeTek Core FW?

Thanks in advance

I've tried the PROBOX2 EX+ ROM which works great, except no sound/Audio from the headphone jack.
    This is a "No-Go" for me, because, for music, the box is usually connected to my amplifier through the headphone jack.
    Additionally, I couldn't get work Viper4Android via Bluetooth, so I moved the Minix into the bedroom for video streaming only (HDMI).
    No crashes so far, but I don't use Kodi.
    I would switch back to Kitkat, but with LP my video streams (especially HLS), start much much quicker, (better/other buffering?) so I will keep LP on it.
    For everything else, I've recently bought a M8S+ with LP5.1.1, which does the job for not even half the price of the Minix.

Comment

Originally posted by vel2000 View Post
      I've tried the PROBOX2 EX+ ROM which works great, except no sound/Audio from the headphone jack.
      This is a "No-Go" for me, because, for music, the box is usually connected to my amplifier through the headphone jack.
      Additionally, I couldn't get work Viper4Android via Bluetooth, so I moved the Minix into the bedroom for video streaming only (HDMI).
      I would switch back to Kitkat, but with LP my video streams (especially HLS), start much much quicker, (better/other buffering?) so I will keep LP on it.
      For everything else, I've recently bought a M8S+ with LP5.1.1, which does the job for not even half the price of the Minix.
      Which FW version of PROBOX 2 did you use?
      The minx has a headphone jack while PROBOX 2 has an A/V jack which are essentially different; so it is not only a SW but also a wiring issue. Therefore, I have put Abdul_pt ROM on mine and it works perfectly; I strongly recommend it.
      Here is the link:
      http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...abdul-x8h-plus

As for LP 5.1.1, it is a shame minix does not update its FW, the company would make many users happy, which should not be too difficult given the price of the x-8h plus and that they offer it on their Neo u1.

Comment

For test purposes, I installed PROBOX2 EX+ ROM on my Minix x-8h Plus. Her are my observations ...
        - Obviously, there is also no Audio from the headphone jack.
        - The digital sound setting is not persistent, i.e. you can set it to whatever you choose but it resets itself to PCM.
        - To obtain sound at all from KODI 16.1, you have to set the Audio channels to 2.1 (anything higher than 2) and choose Stereo Up-mixing. The box is connected to TV through HDMI.
        - No audio from YouTube or games; it seems there are serious HDMI-audio problems
        - I tried KODI 17 Alpha 3 and it starts fine but freezes the box when trying to play a movie; a power cycle is then needed to reboot.
        - I cannot find a setting for Adaptive Display Refresh rate (for 24p).
        - the air mouse and the keyboard are functional, but the home screen and options buttons do not work.

- Finally, Antutu Benchmark 6 returns approx. 40000 (compared to 34000 under KitKat) !! So it seems that LP 5.1.1 is worthy the update.

Overall, the major problem is HDMI Audio.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Everbrave; 08-02-2016, 02:35.

Comment

I gave up on trying to flash Lollipop on my Minix x8-h Plus; so I reverted to the original Minix ROM (FW09) and I'm giving it to my daughter. For myself, I bought a Minix U1; why Minix again? because it was available in my store, no other brands!
          I guess this is what Minix wants ... they won, but still I cannot understand the NO-Upgrade policy of Minix!
          Last edited by Everbrave; 08-12-2016, 11:30.

Comment

wrong thread, deleted

Comment

I've also noticed, that the firmware doesn't save Display settings.
              Doesn't matter on my full HD Sony TV, but the bedroom TV needs some "overscan adjustments", which don't survive a reboot.
              PS: But Youtube works for me.

Originally posted by Everbrave View Post
              I guess this is what Minix wants ... they won, but still I cannot understand the NO-Upgrade policy of Minix!
              Sad to hear, but because of this "NO-Upgrade policy of Minix", I won't never buy them again.
              Fortunately, in my current country, there are tons of devices to chose from.
              Most of them for not even half the price of the Minix's...

Comment

I've also noticed, that the firmware doesn't save Display settings.
                Doesn't matter on my full HD Sony TV, but the bedroom TV needs some "overscan adjustments", which don't survive a reboot.
                PS: But Youtube works for me.

Sad to hear, but because of this "NO-Upgrade policy of Minix", I won't never buy them again.
                Fortunately, in my current country, there are tons of devices to chose from.
                Most of them for not even half the price of the Minix's...
                Yes, the display setting is not persistent.
                I wonder why the Audio is working with you and not with me! Can you please tell me your configuration? FW version, sound setting and connection to TV.

On Minix, which product you intend to buy instead of Minix?
                Thanks

Comment

I agree that I'm not going to also to buy minix product again!
                  €160 and not at least lollipop!
                  Everbrave, good that you have opened this thread.

Comment

Which functionality are you missing in Android 4.4.2 which makes it necessary to upgrade to 5.1.1? For an android player I even prefer staying on 4.4 what is one of the most stable android releases so far.. (ps, I don’t work for Minix )

Comment

Originally posted by bartj12 View Post
                      Which functionality are you missing in Android 4.4.2 which makes it necessary to upgrade to 5.1.1? For an android player I even prefer staying on 4.4 what is one of the most stable android releases so far.. (ps, I don’t work for Minix )
                      The latest SPMC 16.4.81 and Kodi 17 is not compatible with KitKat firmware, so that is very big reason to get Lollipop.

Comment

Originally posted by bartj12 View Post
                        No you question is ok but if you buying something a bit excpensive you excpect also that you get update.Mo123 says already that we dont get SPMC 16.4.81(i dont know what this is) and Kodi 17.
                        As customers,we must ask for our money as they ask as shops.We are not making donations but we paid them.

Comment

Originally posted by Costas View Post

No you question is ok but if you buying something a bit excpensive you excpect also that you get update.Mo123 says already that we dont get SPMC 16.4.81(i dont know what this is) and Kodi 17.
                          As customers,we must ask for our money as they ask as shops.We are not making donations but we paid them.
                          The MiniX X8-H Plus is a bit expensive and then they don't upgrade it to Lollipop, not nice.
                          Maybe because users should then buy the U1 instead that comes with Lollipop?

SPMC is a customised fork of Kodi optimised for Android tv boxes like Amlogic and RK that add several features and improved video playback not included in the official Kodi.
                          Here is the latest compiled version.
                          What the title says. v 16.5.0 RC: http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/SPMC-20161121-1c72918-spmc-jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk Package name is different, so can be installed side-by-side with a...

If you compile the latest one from the source code it can't even install on KitKat any more, parsing error, I tried.
                          The same with the stable Kodi 17 after it is released.
                          KitKat firmware just don't contain all the new code from Google to play video and audio better that is included in Lollipop.
                          But if you don't use Kodi, KitKat firmware can still work good for other tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

The MiniX X8-H Plus is a bit expensive and then they don't upgrade it to Lollipop, not nice.
                            Maybe because users should then buy the U1 instead that comes with Lollipop?

SPMC is a customised fork of Kodi optimised for Android tv boxes like Amlogic and RK that add several features and improved video playback not included in the official Kodi.
                            Here is the latest compiled version.
                            What the title says. v 16.5.0 RC: http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/SPMC-20161121-1c72918-spmc-jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk Package name is different, so can be installed side-by-side with a...

If you compile the latest one from the source code it can't even install on KitKat any more, parsing error, I tried.
                            The same with the stable Kodi 17 after it is released.
                            KitKat firmware just don't contain all the new code from Google to play video and audio better that is included in Lollipop.
                            But if you don't use Kodi, KitKat firmware can still work good for other tasks.

Thanks mo123 for you explanation, I'm using Kodi and it is very pity they are react as this there by minix.
                            Have I nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by Everbrave View Post
                              I am trying to put Lollipop on my Minix x8-h Plus.

I have flashed the PROBOX2 EX+ ROM on it and it works fine with few exceptions. There is no sound/Audio from the headphone jack, the IR remote does not work, the A2 Remote works with its basic functions, some settings such as digital sound other than PCM, e.g. HDMI and Display zoom are non-persistent. Also, some unpredictable freezes occur especially when Kodi is running.

WeTek Core which has an almost identical HW has issued a recent FW version 1.2 with combined Lollipop and OpenElec (dual boot). So far, I have not been successful in installing this FW on the x8-h Plus.

Hans anyone tried either FW from PROBOX2, with more luck, or the WeTek Core FW?

Thanks in advance
                              Hi Ive seen that you were able to flash X8H plus with ProboX2 EX+ Lollipop Rom....Ive been triying to but no success..coudl you please let me know how you did it?
                              Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X