No announcement yet.

[WARNING][UNBRICK-How-To] OTT M8S Owners [WARNING]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ The build is still 20151029 even though the post is Nov 15th, so I still think that Oct29 is the newest

Comment

I as you can tell I am new to this forum, I would appreciate if you could possibly help me. I bricked my m8s which is what led me to here.I followed your instructions for stage 1 and everything seemed to go okay until I rebooted the box. Now I only have the m8s amlogic logo and it does not go passed that. I am also unable to get box in to recovery mode as when I do screen goes completely black and stays like that until I reflash stage 1 which brings me back to wear I am with just the logo.

One thing I wanted to ask was am I meant to tick the "erase bootloader" and then change "erase flash" to erase all?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, were you able to get pics of the inside of your box yet? I think some people are trying your method and failing because they either don't have the BCM chip or it might even be a complete different board. Having a few pics in your original post might just add some great info to your excellent write-up.

Comment

Firmware in op works for me on this ott m8s box. s812, gbe, 2.4/5.8 4335, 2gb, 8gb
          Just took a few quick snaps (My workspace is non conducive to taking decent photos atm. . If anyone needs anything blown up or what not, let me know.)

gallery
          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...21BN0wza2JWWDg
          zip
          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...lJfLXhIZ1FvOWM

OP: If these pics 'work' for you, feel free to use them in whatever way. (use them in OP until better pics show up, etc. )

Also interesting is the serial header. If I get some extra free time(not very likely), I'll try and dig up my adapter and see if I can tap into uboot/console/etc.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.
          Last edited by s8m; 12-19-2015, 00:15.

Comment

OK, mine is essentially the same, except the PCB is M8 V8_8, and they have added pads for the BCM module (so no green daughter board as in your pic). I've got two with the same PCB, but on the back of the unit one says v4 and the other says v6.

Comment

Originally posted by brew99 View Post
              OK, mine is essentially the same, except the PCB is M8 V8_8, and they have added pads for the BCM module (so no green daughter board as in your pic). I've got two with the same PCB, but on the back of the unit one says v4 and the other says v6.

Ive received My M8S and im extremely disappointed. Performance is awful.

Antutu yeilds about 30,000 (if it manages to complete the benchmark).

3DMark unlimited extreme gives a score about 4500-4700 points.

Geekbench results a score of about sc=550, mc=1660

WiFi performance is just like other m8s boxes ( about 2.5 MB/s sitting right next to router)but the chip package has different marking number and ethernet is about 5MB/s

Im suspecting the terrible performance is due to the extremely low internal storage read and write speed which are approx 8MB and 3MB respectively as reported by A1 SD bench app. Please view the attached pics and give opinions and benchmark results

My Rom built number is M8S.BCM4335.201510291048
              Attached Files

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by wroom View Post

Ive received My M8S and im extremely disappointed. Performance is awful.

Antutu yeilds about 30,000 (if it manages to complete the benchmark).

3DMark unlimited extreme gives a score about 4500-4700 points.

Geekbench results a score of about sc=550, mc=1660

WiFi performance is just like other m8s boxes ( about 2.5 MB/s sitting right next to router)but the chip package has different marking number and ethernet is about 5MB/s

Im suspecting the terrible performance is due to the extremely low internal storage read and write speed which are approx 8MB and 3MB respectively as reported by A1 SD bench app. Please view the attached pics and give opinions and benchmark results

My Rom built number is M8S.BCM4335.201510291048
                  The kernel settings are turned WAY!! down, even editing the limited kernel options it comes with will make a huge dif in performance, it is like night and day. A modified kernel would be best to impliment other options the stock kernel does not have, at the moment we don't have that so I strongly suggest tweaking the stock one. That alone will get you alot more performance. Also I always delete data and erase the kodi it comes with and download and install the official one from kodi.tv I have 15.2 and 16 on my boxes are they always run great.

FYI I edited the OP and are uploading the files now, as of now Dropbox is done I am doing GDrive and Mega now.
                  Last edited by JohnRB; 12-23-2015, 22:01.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRB View Post

The kernel settings are turned WAY!! down, even editing the limited kernel options it comes with will make a huge dif in performance, it is like night and day. A modified kernel would be best to impliment other options the stock kernel does not have, at the moment we don't have that so I strongly suggest tweaking the stock one. That alone will get you alot more performance. Also I always delete data and erase the kodi it comes with and download and install the official one from kodi.tv I have 15.2 and 16 on my boxes are they always run great.

FYI I edited the OP and are uploading the files now, as of now Dropbox is done I am doing GDrive and Mega now.

Thanks for the reply.
                    Ive already tweaked the kernel setings whr the cpu was limited to only cycle max to 1600Mhz and i changed that to 1999Mhz and changed the governor from hotplug to ondemand . Already reinstalled kodi and and running a diffferent wizard. I dont know wat else i can do. Its still all very sluggish except kodi

This box does not performs as a quad-core 2Ghz with 2GB ram

The only thing ive yet to do is reflash the box with ur modded rom.

Wanna give any other suggestions before i reflash?

Have you looked at this?

Last edited by wroom; 12-24-2015, 12:23.

Comment

One thing I found with this box is that when it was right beside my wifi router (i.e. 2 feet away from Apple time capsule), the wifi performance was absolute @#@#. I needed to move it away atleast 6 ft to be able to get great performance. I now have it upstairs, and still link up at 120MB/s on 5GHz. Have no problem streaming 1080p. I also played 4k off a USB thumb drive and it was OK.

You absolutely need to wipe the stock Kodi as it is bloated with addons. Put the official Kodi 15.2 release on and add only the addons you need. It should run without any major problems. I have no lagging of the android or Kodi

Wroom, looks like you have a Sandisk chip and I have a SKhynix 8GB. Not sure if that makes a difference
                      Last edited by brew99; 12-24-2015, 16:00.

Comment

OP, can you list the things you changed in the kernel? Mine runs ok for me, but if you are able to get more out of it, I'd be interested

Comment

brew99 can u post benchmark results?. Thats wat im wondering, the storage chip might be the issue. Also, can u do storage benchmark and post the result Yes, im interested to know the kernel mods too.
                          Last edited by wroom; 12-24-2015, 20:57.

Comment

Antutu same at 30,000

using a1 SD bench I get for Int. memory Read = 29.3MB/s Write = 11.5 MB/s

I would say there is something wrong with the memory speeds you are seeing

Comment

brew99 hmmmm, thats wat I get for buying cheap. is ur firmware also M8S.BCM4335.201510291048? My read/write have gone up to 18.6MB/s and 9.5MB/s

JohnRB thx for posting the rom. Atleast now i have backup if i need to reflash. I flashed my unit with the megatron m8s/m9 firmware which resulted in soft brick but recovered after i flashed box with stage 2, but there is no performance gain tho. Do i need to flash stage 1 first to correct any kernel issues Educate me bro ............
                              Last edited by wroom; 12-25-2015, 05:57.

Comment

Mine was less than $50usd, I now have three and all work great. Firmware is similar format, but build is oct21.

Can you return it?

Comment

Working...
                                X