[WARNING][UNBRICK-How-To] OTT M8S Owners [WARNING]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WARNING][UNBRICK-How-To] OTT M8S Owners [WARNING]

**************I HAVE TRACKED DOWN SOME NEW FILES NOW ABLE TO RESTORE THE BOX to 10/29 WITH 2 STEPS******************
    FEEL FREE TO SEND ME ANY LINKS TO ANY ROMS THAT WORK ON THIS BOX AND I WILL ADD THEM HERE ALONG WITH WHO SUBMITTED THEM

So there has been much confusion lately because alot of the newest OTT M8S have a BCM4335 WiFi/BT chipset and the older ones have an AP6330 chipset. So many older ROMs and modified FW for the M8S's will not work in the BCM4335 version. This varies from, a working ROM with now WiFi/BT, or a bricked device. The easiest way to tell what version you have is to look at the firmware version (This only applies if you have the stock ROM it came with, if it's not it is going to display the last FW you flashed, in that case look at the photos below) you will see M8S.BCM4335xxxxx / M8S.AP6330xxxxx.

I will explain to you how I unbrick my device and share all the files I use alog with some other utils. Now I have not been able to find an M8S.BCM4335 .img file that works (actually flashes to 100% and works) with this player. So What I does is use an M8S.AP6330 .img file that flashes correctly but after the install is complete you do not have WiFi/BT, so then we are able to use a SDCard to flash firmware to M8S.BCM4335.201510291048 firmware via recovery giving us the proper firmware and all of our functionality back.

Now there is more than one way to skin a cat, all i am doing is sharing my procedure with you all, I do not guarantee anything, anything you do or don't do is your fault, the only guarantee I can give you is I have done this dozens of times.

I AM UPDATING THE FILES NOW AS OF NOW DROPBOX and Google IS FINISHED UPLOADING TO MEGA NOW

Software Links
    Each mirror link has the same files

AMLogic Folder - Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dagxp4d65...WnC7WEgpOR3KYa
    AMLogic Folder - Google Drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...HpjRmN3OFFtZjA
    AMLogic Folder - Mega Decrypt Key: !a_yeZ2CUgZY7mOOxwVv2EQ https://mega.nz/#F!rEkgTBRQ

The file we are going to need for this process are (feel free to take any other files you want):
    USB.Burning.Tool-MultiVersions.rar
    Stage1_M8S.AP.NO.WIFI.BT-IMGflash.rar
    Stage2-NEW-M8S.BCM4335.Oct29.2015-SDflash.rar

UNBRICKING M8S.BCM4335.xxxxxxxx
    First we need a Windows machine with USB Burning Tool (I use v2.0.5.9) and the correctly install libusb drivers. Newer Windows users may need to manually install the drivers and disable driver signing, Google it if you are confused, the drivers are in the folder if USB Burning tool doesn't install them successfully. You wouldn’t believe how many times I have seen people not be able to unbrick there device because the drivers are not working correctly.

Then we need to connect out M8S to our PC via the outside USB Port without the power attached to the player. Best to use your upper rear USB ports, those tend to be on the motherboards main chipset others can be unreliable.

Fire up USB Burning Tool, and extract Stage1_M8S.AP.NO.WIFI.BT-IMGflash.rar

Use a toothpick or something to hold down the button inside the AV port, while holding down button plug the power in, you should see the main window of the USB Burning Tool change (lines will appear) you can then let go of the button.

Load the STAGE1 img file into USB Burning Tool, choose erase all and reset after completion, then hit start. It will flash to 100% then reboot, if it did not seem to reboot it ok do it manually by pulling power then plugging back in. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY DO THIS WHEN THE FLASHING PROCESS IS DONE!!! (YOU SHOULD SEE ACTIVITY RIGHT AFTER REBOOT IF YOU DON’T UNPLUG POWER AND PLUG BACK IN, IF YOU STILL GET A "NO SIGNAL" IT DIDN’T WORK) when your screen comes back let it sit for 10-15min so it completely loads and runs all its initial scripts, after that you will have a working box but with no WiFi/BT. At this point that is ok and expected. Continue....

After that all finishes unplug the power, extract Stage2-NEW-M8S.BCM4335.Oct29.2015-SDflash.rar, the copy all the files from inside the extracted folder Stage2-NEW-M8S.BCM4335.Oct29.2015-SDflash, and put into root of sdcard. Connect SDCard, hold button down and plug the power in, continue to hole the button for about 10 seconds. Now it going to recovery and start the update, your screen is going to bug out, your going to panic and same OMG it breaking, This IS FINE LEAVE IT ALONE IT WILL BOOT UP WHEN ITS DONE, just walk away for 10/20mins, it will come back. That's it your on the latest fw. That's it now you have a fully functional M8S.

Like I said previously this procedure is just the one I use and I know it works every time so I am simply sharing it, I am not saying another way is wrong, or you cant do it another way. Strictly sharing my experiences. I will lend a hand to anyone I can when I have free time, but unfortunately like most I would assume, I don't have much free time nowadays. Enjoy, Happy Flashing!!!

Want to double check if the upgrade files/img is the right one for your box?
    Open build.prop (in a text editor ) in the system folder of the files you downloaded.
    Search for BCM and then AP, it will find one of those in the text and whatever it shows you that's the version the software its for.
    BCM.... or AP.....
    Last edited by JohnRB; 12-23-2015, 21:39.

Just signed up to tell you this.

You just made a very frustrated person very unfrustrated. >< Thank you so much.

My OTT m8s mbox 2gb/8gb GBe/dual band 4335 life story:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HDMI auto-detection doesn't seem to want to play nicely with my clone+tv combo. Disabling auto-detection and setting resolution/refresh manually would not persist through power cycle/hard reboot.

Language would revert back to Chinese after power cycle.

Clock time would revert back to unix start time on power cycle. *Causes a google play login error notification until time set/sync.

CEC would not persist through power cycle. Need to be disabled/re-enable/configure after each power cycle

Digital audio manually configured settings lost on power cycle.

Power menu apps would not work (Material Power Menu Root - etc.,)

Kodi/Zeroconf wasn't playing nicely, forcing manual configuration of host in Yatse remote.

Kodi network stack would crash if syncing library database with Yatse remote.

Chmodding of system file required to playback hevc properly. Othersie it would black/green screen. (Workaround was to jump ahead 10 seconds, then manually set 3 seconds into video.)

System would lag out when playing media, or updating library. Making the menu/navigation sluggish/sometimes unusable.

Visualizations were choppy if playing anything over 320kbits (flac, etc).

I tried updating to stage 3 with the updater app, no go. stage 1, no go. formatted sdcard FAT from within the android box's android storage settings menu, re-copied the update.zip from my pc to the sdcard .. >.> tried 1 last time .. BooM!

Now, while HDMI auto-detection still doesn't work, I WAS able to disable auto detection this time, set the resolution/refresh manually.. power cycled the device.. and ... Yatzee! Still 1080p!

English language also persists after power cycle.. ><

Time still resets, however, timezone + automatic network time settings persist. Great!

CEC settings persist.

Digital audio manual settings persist.

Power menu Reset now works.

No chmod dance needed to get HEVC playback running smoothly.

.. Visualizations running primo, even while scanning media. Navigation is buttery smooth.. Haven't even enabled "force GPU rendering for 2d drawing" yet.

And the cherry on top? Yatse is syncing, at the same time, no network stack crash!

After a month or so of frustration/loathing .. This device is now exactly what I was hoping for. And more. (Running about 10,000x smoother)

Should tie me over till the 10bit hevc hdmi 2.0 boxes come down in price ^ ^ (Can anyone enlighten me as to why people are backing up 8 bit blurays in 10bit format?)

You're my hero. 10,000 thankyous.

I owe you, at the very least, a refreshing beverage. Post/shoot me your paypal!

Comment

Sorry My Bad I do not see any Pictures? Where do we find these BCM numbers??

Comment

Originally posted by Kezz View Post
        Sorry My Bad I do not see any Pictures? Where do we find these BCM numbers??
        It was included in build number, and iirc, on the PCB. I think cpu spy or the like can also find it..

Main menu > Settings > Other > Build Number:

M8S.BCM4335.2015########

addendum: I was previously running M8S.BCM4335.201509251818 which was severely borked with permission issues, etc.

M8S.BCM4335.201510291048 <-- So far, sooo good.
        Last edited by s8m; 12-07-2015, 15:57. Reason: more info

Comment

Thanks OP for the great write-up....I have yet the need to unbrick my device, but I'm sure this will come in handy. I'm on OCT21 firmware and it too is great, this is the reason I have yet to try the newer OCT29 (which I beleive is the newest at this time). I've ordered a back-up box, so when that arrives, I'll play a little with the firmwares available.

On a side note, has anyone got info on the wifi chip inside? Its not a broadcom chip but as far as I can tell, it has "KM3207048 XJ-A" written on it. Google didnt return much for it.

Comment

Originally posted by brew99 View Post
            Thanks OP for the great write-up....I have yet the need to unbrick my device, but I'm sure this will come in handy. I'm on OCT21 firmware and it too is great, this is the reason I have yet to try the newer OCT29 (which I beleive is the newest at this time). I've ordered a back-up box, so when that arrives, I'll play a little with the firmwares available.

On a side note, has anyone got info on the wifi chip inside? Its not a broadcom chip but as far as I can tell, it has "KM3207048 XJ-A" written on it. Google didnt return much for it.
            Found a curious **** listing:
            New Wireless WIFI Module IC KM3207041 XJ-A Resistance for Gaxlaxy S4 I9500
            Description
            This is a New Power Amplifier IC SKY77615-11 Chip for Gaxlaxy S4 I9500.
            Excellent to replace your old damaged Gaxlaxy S4 I9500 Power Amplifier IC SKY77615-11 Chip.
            Shipping Region: All over the world
            Compatible with: Gaxlaxy S4 I9500 only

However, the SKY77615-11 shows up as a cellular chip.. hrmm.

Very curious.

Hrmm:

Will dig a bit more later..

Comment

Sorry I had an issue with my camera and stuff, I will add pics ASAP. I also added some info to the end of the post.

Comment

OP, have you tried/had any luck installing a recovery option? cwm/twrp?

Comment

Hi Guys

I have an M8S that has the Blue Light, and No Signal when powered on.

Tried to follow the steps offered by JohnRB but no luck.

Tried Erase All with reset after completion but it just keeps doing the same processes over and over again!
                  I got to about 7 timed of 100% before I gave up.

When I put the setting to Normal Erase without reset on completion, it just ends at 100% once...

I managed to run the USB Burning Tool, with the image provided.
                  Gets to 100% Burning successful and disconnected the USB.

Waited 10 minutes before removing the power supply and insert the SD Card with the new firmware, but I cannot seem to get it to boot from the SD Card.
                  For some strange reason, I get nothing from the box. Just a blue light, with No Signal!

Really hope someone can help, or point out if I'm doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Suley_T View Post
                    Hi Guys

I have an M8S that has the Blue Light, and No Signal when powered on.

Tried to follow the steps offered by JohnRB but no luck.

Tried Erase All with reset after completion but it just keeps doing the same processes over and over again!
                    I got to about 7 timed of 100% before I gave up.

When I put the setting to Normal Erase without reset on completion, it just ends at 100% once...

I managed to run the USB Burning Tool, with the image provided.
                    Gets to 100% Burning successful and disconnected the USB.

Waited 10 minutes before removing the power supply and insert the SD Card with the new firmware, but I cannot seem to get it to boot from the SD Card.
                    For some strange reason, I get nothing from the box. Just a blue light, with No Signal!

Really hope someone can help, or point out if I'm doing something wrong.
                    Don't just jump from one step into the next follow the instructions, I can tell by your last statement that you have not. You can't just kinda follow instructions and expect it work.

"Gets to 100% Burning successful and disconnected the USB. Waited 10 minutes before removing the power supply and insert the SD Card with the new firmware, but I cannot seem to get it to boot from the SD Card.
                    For some strange reason, I get nothing from the box. Just a blue light, with No Signal!"

When flashing image is finished you can pull power then turn it back on if it don't come back to life and starts to boot and finish the install then this isnt going to work for you. If step 1 didn't work when you followed instructions to the letter, obviously 2 and 3 aren't going to work. If that is the case something else is wrong, you are misidentifying your device, or 1 of 100 other things. All I can tell you is try it again reading the process and following not skimming through it and kind of following it.
                    I made some edits to hopefully clear up a few steps in the process people may have been misunderstanding. I wish I had some kind of magic answer for everyone having an issue I know its frustrating but I didn't sell you the device all I can do is share my experiences and hopefully someone stuck in similar situation. What I can tell you is most issues arise because people flash things without realizing what they re flashing, what kind of device they "Really" have. So be vigilant about what device you have, what your correct stock version is, and be prepared to do alot of reading and searching. I wish I had the time to help everyone out on a 1 to 1 bassis but I don't. If/when I can help I will. Feel free to msg me but you have no right to mother F me if I don't get back to you as quickly as you would like if I do at all.

Comment

Originally posted by s8m View Post
                      OP, have you tried/had any luck installing a recovery option? cwm/twrp?

Have not tried because I have not found the correct version for this device yet, I have been looking high and low, I submitted request to get added to AMLogic Source SSH Repo but they have been dragging there feet. Feel free to add any info you think would be usefull and I will edit the OP and add it along with credit where it is due.

Comment

Originally posted by s8m View Post

Found a curious **** listing:
                        New Wireless WIFI Module IC KM3207041 XJ-A Resistance for Gaxlaxy S4 I9500
                        Description
                        This is a New Power Amplifier IC SKY77615-11 Chip for Gaxlaxy S4 I9500.
                        Excellent to replace your old damaged Gaxlaxy S4 I9500 Power Amplifier IC SKY77615-11 Chip.
                        Shipping Region: All over the world
                        Compatible with: Gaxlaxy S4 I9500 only

However, the SKY77615-11 shows up as a cellular chip.. hrmm.

Very curious.

Hrmm:

Will dig a bit more later..

The device this OP is about Certainly has a Broadcom BCM4335 WiFi/BT chipset

Comment

Does anyone have the M8S.BCM4335.201509251818 version to download? I think It is the version that came with my box and I'm starting to realise I should have left it alone. The 13/10 and 29/10 versions won't play HEVC 4k files very well on my box and kodi 15.2 freezes quite a lot.
                          Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by M8SSS View Post
                            Does anyone have the M8S.BCM4335.201509251818 version to download? I think It is the version that came with my box and I'm starting to realise I should have left it alone. The 13/10 and 29/10 versions won't play HEVC 4k files very well on my box and kodi 15.2 freezes quite a lot.
                            Cheers.
                            As a whole the software and roms for all these boxes have alot of flaws. I can tell you the latest software works beat for me. As far as Kodi i never use the version included in roms they are often loaded down with tons of useless less than perfect plugins. I am running the latest 16 beta 3 and it runs alot better. It is still a beta so sometimes there are issues but the 15.2 release strait from kodi.tv has always run great. Also make sure old data doesnt get carrried over from one app version to the next its beat to start clean. On another note the kernel, its settings, and overall rom performance is terrible. Even with basic kernel knowledge and a tweaking app you can get alot more performance out of the box, in my case it is night and day. It runs 100% after tweaking the ROM. I have been nagging AMLogic to add me to its source repos but i am still waiting.

If you or anyone else find other BCM4335 ROMs please let me know and i will add to the OP. That means any new or older builds, or even the same builds i have listed but in a different format, img, sdflash, update.zip. I will add them and credit who tracked them down, its never a bad idea to supported software in one place when its needed.

Comment

Originally posted by M8SSS View Post
                              Cheers.
                              This is my favorite site for BCM4335 versions http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot....0&by-date=true There's one from the 15.Nov, but the 17. November rom NOT for our box.

Comment

Working...
                              X