No announcement yet.

NEXBOX MXQ PRO TV Box 64Bit Android 5.1 OPENELEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who have bricked their box (this particular box, and others like it) and cannot get into recovery, here's what I've learned:

Toothpick method doesn't work:
    The reason is probably that the microswitch is not connected on the motherboard. Not much you can do there as far as I have found.
    What worked for me was the shorting of the pins of the NAND chip.

This is the entire process of flashing and thereby unbricking the unit:

- Install the USB burning tool and make sure the usb drivers were installed in the process
    - Run the USB burning tool as administrator (this is important, as the process can fail if you don't do this. Typically it will fail quite quickly in the burning process if it fails)
    - Get the USB cable ready (​don't worry about the power connector you do not need it). Have it plugged in to your PC on one end.
    - Short pins 17 and 18 on the NAND chip with a small screwdriver or other metal object and hold that in place. The pins down the left side of the chip are pins 1-24.
    - Keep the pins shorted while you insert the USB into the OTG port. It has to be the OTG port or this will not work. On the Nexbox MXQ Pro it's USB 4 port.
    - The LED should light up red and stay red, and in USB burning tool you should see that the device is connected
    - You can now release the short of the NAND chip
    - Import the image file into the burning tool and click start (don't change any settings)
    - Let the image load to the box - this will take a few minutes. Don't interrupt the process.
    - When it's done, press stop and disconnect the device.
    - Connect the device normally to your screen and power it up
    - Now give it time, mine needed about 15-20 minutes to boot the first time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by DH1979; 07-25-2016, 06:26.

Comment

I finally got kszaq's LibreELEC build working from emmc on my Nexbox MXQ Pro with help from the post on the LibreELEC forum (see link below):

Here are the steps:
      - make sure you have a working Android environment on your NexBox device
      - Download kszaaq's latest LibreELEC build (zip file, not img.gz file) and unzip the file
      - Format an SD card to FAT32
      - Copy the aml_autoscript and the update(zip) file to the SD card
      - Insert the SD card into the NexBox and point the backup&update app to the update file on the card
      - run the update and enjoy LibreELEC

From playing around with it so far it's not 100% stable, but it works well.
      Audio passthrough has been fine for Dolby and DTS so far and remote works fine too.

Hats off to kszaq!

Keep in mind that there is no easy way to get into recovery from here to run updates that may follow for LibreELEC that way, so you may have to flash back to Android with the USB burning tool (follow steps from post 16 above) and install the latest build of LibreELEC from scratch.
      May be useful to backup your settings in that case :-)

Have fun!

Comment

Is there any custom rom for this? With the stock one I have some problems: like OTA update not working, wifi freeze sometimes, bad audio quality, no notification panel and most app are marked as unsupported in the play store (forcing to download the apk).

Comment

Working...
        X