MINIX NEO U1 - Amlogic S905 / Android 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MINIX NEO U1 - Amlogic S905 / Android 5.1

w00t w00t, here it is guys the latest MINIX release and the first ever from them featuring the S905 SOC. Im sure someone had to have shared this somewhere on the forums by now but I cant find it so here's a post for the official sub forum. Hardware details can be found below and I'm told Geekbuying is receiving their shipment this Saturday so they should be available for consumers to purchase very soon! Pricing is @ approx $129.90 USD which makes it quite a bit more expensive then other S905 based Mini PCs but it is a MINIX device after all which means its almost guaranteed to have great support and quality hardware. Ill post my full review on it for you all to see soon as my sample unit is received. In the mean time if you have any questions I believe the only place its been officially announced is on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/minixtech/) so you can check there and feel free to discuss here!

Official Specs as Posted By MINIX John @ http://www.minixforum.com/threads/ou...cription.9393/

SPECS:

- Quad Cortex A53 CPU (next generation 64-bit architecture)
    - Penta Core Mali-450 GPU
    - Supports up to 10-bit – Not found on previous MINIX models, or even RockChip’s latest generation chipsets – RK3368.
    - Supports ‘True’ 4K @ 60Hz – NEO X8-H Plus only supports 4K @ 30Hz – another big strength of NEO U1.
    - HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 – NEO U1 has Miracast support for all smartphone brands.
    - 2GB RAM
    - 16GB eMMC 5.0 (MLC)
    - Gigabit Ethernet
    - Dual-Band 2 x 2 MIMO ac Wi-Fi – Inclusion of an internal antenna in addition to the external antenna, offering incredible connectivity and Wi-Fi performance – superior to all previous MINIX models.
    - Bluetooth 4.1 – Instead of Bluetooth 4.0 found on previous MINIX models.
    - Android Lollipop 5.1 – We have kept the MINIX Launcher but the overall user interface has now improved – the settings menu etc. look similar to Android TV. Much easier to navigate, improved functionality and appearance.
    - Same form factor as NEO X8-H Plus but ports have been repositioned (all 3 USB ports on the right-side).
    - NEO U1 can be powered on/off using the included IR-Remote, no need to use the physical power button on the side of the main unit like previous models.
    - Built-in F.O.T.A (Firmware-Over-The-Air) Update System – so there should never be any need to manually update/install the firmware.
    - Supports the following:
    7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
    DD+/DTS (pass-through)
    Dolby TrueHD (pass-through)
    MINIX Neo X8-H Plus vs. MINIX Neo U1 Spec Comparison

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13569.png
Views:	373
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	541244 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 8.33.42 AM.png
Views:	368
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	541250 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13570.png
Views:	338
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	541245 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13571.png
Views:	324
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	541246

Attached Files
    Last edited by alwaysbless; 12-27-2015, 17:27.

Wow nice.....Nearly as informative as this one.

Minix NEO U1

Cheers

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
      Wow nice.....Nearly as informative as this one.

Minix NEO U1

Cheers

LOL, I know you review a lot of these things so you may not be as excited as I am but damn to consider a MINIX box an 'OTHER AML' box is straight disrespect, we may have to fight over that one

Comment

No fight from me.
        One is in the 905 thread one is not, seems odd.
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

No fight from me.
          One is in the 905 thread one is not, seems odd.

Other is a section for no name products from manufacturers not big enough to have an official sub forum thats why I said it was disrespectful of you to say that of MINIX lol

Comment

A good point and duly noted, but until it gets a thread it is just but an "OTHER AML" with no disrespect intended
            I am sure the other as you say "no name products" would feel equally hurt about your comment. lol
            Cheers
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

None taken, I didnt think anyone around here created 'official' threads any more. Bobs been MIA for months now and there have been many releases that have never seen a thread opened by a mod. Mostly these days its just you to be honest lol. But cool you own the other area, Im here, maybe some day someone will create something official that will be a better for everyone

Comment

The mods are around and making new threads/Stickies as required when there is a solid need.
                They do an excellent job to keep things under control.(they do have other thing to do)

I like to pass/get the info out there.
                If its new and you visit Freaktab you can find most in one place, start a bit of chat then a few get onboard.

Thats how the Other AML thread appeared.
                All good fun and bit of banter is also fun once in awhile
                Cheers

treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

The mods are around and making new threads/Stickies as required when there is a solid need.
                  They do an excellent job to keep things under control.(they do have other thing to do)

I like to pass/get the info out there.
                  If its new and you visit Freaktab you can find most in one place, start a bit of chat then a few get onboard.

Thats how the Other AML thread appeared.
                  All good fun and bit of banter is also fun once in awhile
                  Cheers

I see, well thank you for your invaluable input you have clarified a lot of things for me

Comment

Speaking of. Whenever people asked about lollipop for Minix x8-h plus the official response was its too buggy. Clearly not buggy for the new device they want to sell. All box makers are the same. Cheap or expensive

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Damac10 View Post
                      Speaking of. Whenever people asked about lollipop for Minix x8-h plus the official response was its too buggy. Clearly not buggy for the new device they want to sell. All box makers are the same. Cheap or expensive

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Hahaha of course not, its also interesting that they are positioning this device with a low cost CPU as the successor to the Neo X8-H Plus in a lot of their marketing specs (e.g. Supports True 4k, Bluetooth 4.1 etc) and selling it for in the same ball park. Im very interested to see what their S912 box is going to cost maybe around $175 - 200 which is NVIDIA Shield Territory

Comment

Originally posted by mulderfox
                        Any idea if a root is already in the works or not? It would be a great help!

I read on CNXsofts site last week that someone was able to root the Mi 3 TV Box which uses the S905 Soc - He linked to this site here http://en.miui.com/thread-66761-1-1.html for instructions but this doesnt look likely itll be a very user friendly method so Id wait for some of the devs here to get their hands on things and hopefully simply the process

Comment

Tear down from CNXsoft

treboR
                          Please consider
                          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Good read, looks like components found within are def of higher quality then most which at least partially explains the price tag being @ 130

Comment

Got to love their choice in heatsinks. I just wish they would ventilate their cases a bit. As usual though, nicely executed.

Comment

Working...
                              X