Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minix U1 - OTA update "root" check - WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix U1 - OTA update "root" check - WHY?

Ken MINIX

I have to ask... Why are you spending programmer time on your OTA update APP to block a root check?
    No offense but are you trying to be like Apple?

I have made a custom ROM already with root but then when I check OTA, it will not work because you detect root!

Now let me say, I have already hacked your OTA update to remove that check and it works!

I will not publish it and respect your desire to do this BUT.... I will be honest here... WHY?
    Seriously WHY do this.... I do not understand this reasoning but if you explain it, maybe I will.

Anyway all, expect a Finless Custom ROM soon!
    However to respect Minix desire for OTA control, I will not provide a crack or hack in my custom ROM to make this work even though I can!
    If you upgrade to my Finless ROM, to get the latest Minix OTA, you will have to flash back to their stock ROM.

I have to respect Minix and their OTA process and not hack it. Though I wonder why they are being so damn harsh to the MOD community?

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

I think it's better to block the OTA update than screw up the custom roms like Amazon does, just my take. Some apps that use drm won't run on a rooted device, Android getting more like Apple.
    ​Archos Gen9 A80S cm-11.0
    Kindle Fire 2 cm-11.0

Comment

I made a EZ root ZIP and I could make a EZ unroot ZIP.
      I wonder if any of the root hiders would work?
      Hmmmm I will test some stuff.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I think they made it that way, because of Android 5 block based OTA update mode. If you have root & modify even a file, OTA will fail.

Comment

hmm..
          just a thought.. why not make a custom rom with ota.. without root (keeping the root checker)
          and give user the option(s) to root/unroot there devices..

Rooting, installing custom roms allways come with risks.. and most vendors/resellers state any modification = no more warrenty / support
          yet.. finless has made many roms..fixing issues that minix has failed to fix (in the past)
          i think its in minix intresseds to help finless.. as a device supported by freakteab sells allot better

keep-up the goodwork finless

Comment

Hi Bob,

For those who prefer playing with custom ROMs,
            I don't think they actually give a shit to the OTA update.

It's only meant to avoid unexperienced users getting themselves into trouble.

Comment

Who can tell me if bix is rooted can i update GIRMWARE VIA USB FLAS UPDATE? From recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by MINIX View Post
                Hi Bob,

For those who prefer playing with custom ROMs,
                I don't think they actually give a shit to the OTA update.

It's only meant to avoid unexperienced users getting themselves into trouble.
                Hello everybody!

Well, I'm not unexperienced user, but I don't even want to put a custom rom at the moment. I'm fine with the original one! I just would like to have the opportunity to root my device, modify just few things and keep receiving updates from Minix, using the original FW.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  Ken MINIX

I have to ask... Why are you spending programmer time on your OTA update APP to block a root check?
                  No offense but are you trying to be like Apple?

I have made a custom ROM already with root but then when I check OTA, it will not work because you detect root!

Now let me say, I have already hacked your OTA update to remove that check and it works!

I will not publish it and respect your desire to do this BUT.... I will be honest here... WHY?
                  Seriously WHY do this.... I do not understand this reasoning but if you explain it, maybe I will.

Anyway all, expect a Finless Custom ROM soon!
                  However to respect Minix desire for OTA control, I will not provide a crack or hack in my custom ROM to make this work even though I can!
                  If you upgrade to my Finless ROM, to get the latest Minix OTA, you will have to flash back to their stock ROM.

I have to respect Minix and their OTA process and not hack it. Though I wonder why they are being so damn harsh to the MOD community?

Bob
                  Maybe a little late but the reason is this;

Minix supplies OTA updates and need feedback for bugfixes.
                  When people are using custom roms ( modified ) it will be hard to track down issues.
                  The time spend making such root check is nothing compared to checking false bug reports.

I hope you understand.

Comment

Working...
                  X