• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H96 - P DLP Mini Projector - Amlogic S905 Android 5.1, 2/16GB AC WiFi BT4

Today we can have a look at the H96 DLP mini Projector
    Again first impression out of the box,
    Switch point to a wall looks OK.

Built in battery so had to have a quick look.

Size of a 5in Mobile Phone but twice as thick and not much heavier fit in a pocket pretty easy.

The Spec Mentions
    100 lumens mini DLP projector is small size and portable.
    The device runs on the Android 5.1, the OS may sound outdated but it is more than enough for a device as a projector. Using the DLP technology to ensure images stable and bright. Digital light processor (DLP) is a general trend in supervising and controlling system.

Main Features:
    ● Adopt DLP technology to achieve high fidelity image and a clear bright vivid picture
    ● Support depth customization system, and support office / online video / online games
    ● Wireless connection with iPhone, iPad, laptop with WiFi, free your hand
    ● Dual band wireless, 2.4G and 5G ( AC )
    ● DLP imaging system makes it more economical.
    ● Keystone correction, trapezoid screen and smart adjustment
    ● LED light source, energy saving, and low cost
    ● Built-in 4000mAh lithium-polymer battery, 2 hours of video or power-bank for charging.

A few good features to be had,
    Supplied with a small Tripod if required or built in pop up leg.
    Carry bag, Remote with Dongle, Instructions 5v 2.5amp Power supply, HDMI cable

Amlogic S905, Android 5.1 2/16GB Ram, AC Wifi and BT
    Built in controls also on top of Unit or use remote.
    2 x USB-2 ports, TF card and HDMI in
    Power and Headphone socket
    Keystone correction Top and Bottom and Auto
    Resolution 854*480
    Display 16.9
    Power 3W
    States 0.5m 16inch upto 3.0m will give you 120 inch view

Due to the Size and Price Range remember that the expectation is not of a $1000 plus unit,
    I do have an old Projector lamp style 1278 max res, this will be an interesting comparison, old one is about 9 or years old Big, Noisey only VGA or Component in only

Like all projectors the darker the room the better.

Lots of ideas come to mind for the use of this, Portable situations, Business displays,
    All those times you needed a monitor to show something.
    Just a flat surface and you're ready to go,
    About 2 hours battery life they state

A few Pictures of the units and then I can have a fiddle for a few days

The Box and What's in it

Ports, Power in On/Off Switch

Manual Focus adjusting and TF card Slot

Lense and Ventilation

Earphone Jack

Underneath small fan inside not to noisey, speaker underneath bit scratchy sound wise, usable.

Just a very Quick look straight up at the Ceiling about 2 mtrs from projector

Light ON

Light OFF

A few Snaps UI from Device and Projector settings the rest is Android no other features

Click image for larger version  Name:	a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	660825Click image for larger version  Name:	b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	660827Click image for larger version  Name:	c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.4 KB ID:	660828Click image for larger version  Name:	d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	660829
    Click image for larger version  Name:	e.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	660830

Gearbest

More soon
    Last edited by trebor; 08-09-2017, 03:28.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

A few more Happy snaps using this device H96 - P DLP Mini Projector - Amlogic S905 Android 5.1, 2/16GB AC WiFi BT4

Photos captured using a pocket size Sony Digital camera sitting behind H96-P camera can see a lot more than the eye
    The H96-P about 1 meter from a piece of white card used as a temp screen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	661145Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	661146Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	661147Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	661148

Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	661144 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25878.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	661149Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	661153Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	661154Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	661155 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	661160Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	661157

Also an attempt capturing Video using same setup as above
    I used the built in Kodi on the H96-P 17.3 not optimised just click and run so a bit of stutter maybe noticed

An attempt was also made on the Larger screen, due to Technical Difficulties of Cats then the boss it was short lived
    I will try again, it's all about the timing.

About 3 meters away from screen quick test.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.8 KB ID:	661151 Click image for larger version  Name:	a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	661162

I think for what it is, size etc could be useful.
    It will throw a image 3 meters to a screen
    Due to its lack of contrast dark scenes are dark.
    Content with bright scenes and colours not to bad at all.

For presentations or need a portable show and tell easy In the pocket done.
    Or have fun and ghostly images to annoy the neighbours on threes and such.

The supplied Mini tripod is OK, better than Cooked Spaghetti but when you add cables for HMDI, HDD or other bits tends to move until all is stable and secure so a fiddle.

Tested with battery for 1 or so hours and no loss of quality as compared using adapter
    Speaker small and little scratchy, connected to BT all good or headphone to amp etc.
    Wifi also good I found here easy streaming Netflix, YT couple of rooms away.

Compared to my very old Projector this H96-p is not as Bright,
    Is a cleaner looking and somewhat sharper image.

Small, light and portable, on a wall, ceiling or sheet front or rear projection
    Android 5.1, Wifi and BT 2/16GB, TF card, 2 USB ports HDMI in
    Not a full on projector in the true sense but could have some fun.

Bench tests and a look inside soon...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by trebor; 08-06-2017, 04:41.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Bit of a look around inside...well top side

I removed heat sink PAD, a sticky bit of tin placed on top of components with insulator (black)....appears to work but the added fan would be doing Bulk
      Did not remove PCB completely do to creative ribbons from Lense to PCB,
      Battery and the same heatsink pad on lower side on PCB.

Click image for larger version  Name:	b08.png Views:	1 Size:	236.9 KB ID:	661285Click image for larger version  Name:	b02.png Views:	1 Size:	209.8 KB ID:	661278Click image for larger version  Name:	b05.png Views:	1 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	661281
      Click image for larger version  Name:	b04.png Views:	1 Size:	219.6 KB ID:	661284Click image for larger version  Name:	b06.png Views:	1 Size:	221.0 KB ID:	661282

Note sure what the deal is here with Wifi, most likely no IPX on the shelf at a guess
      Click image for larger version  Name:	b03.png Views:	1 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	661279

Attached Files
      Last edited by trebor; 08-08-2017, 02:31.
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Nice...
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Now for a few bench test results S905 doing OK now powerhouse but good enough to do most things
          Running Android 5.1 and 2/16GB Ac WiFi works Good as does BT
          HDMI working good testing so far another media player at the time, another quick test station test station
          Device does have Root and good little unit...

DRM Info

Storage and Ram Truth

A1 SD Bench ok seen a lot worse of late oif newer chipped Players

ANTUTU

Vellamo

GeekBench CPU

Geekbench Compute > More Infor http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3638480

Fun device many possible uses Portable, Home
          Gives me another Screen to test with the pass thru..
          Still will attempt a big Picture when Conditions are safe.
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thank you very much for the information! could you please have some input in regard to projector good view size, pass the 120" or less with out losing a lot of the pic quality ?

Comment

Hi, I have the same projector since 2 weeks ago.
              It's amazing and I have successfully made my own USB-DC charger cable. I have tried it with a 5V 1A powerbank and it works as expected. In this way you can extend the battery operation in outdoor conditions.

But I have a problem with the colors. They are way oversaturated and I could not find an option or app that can fix it. I got a headache from watching only 1 movie.
              Can you suggest what I can do to tone down the color saturation?

Comment

Have you tried HD Equalizer Video Player? I have not tried it yet with my projector.

Comment

Since I can't do saturation control on system level I also figured that for the moment I should look for a video player with controls. I have tried the following:
                  1. MX Player - seems like a very good overall player. It has a ton of options, but only brightness control. No saturation or contrast control.
                  2. Xplayer - has fewer controls and something called night mode, but it only reduces brightness. Again no saturation or contrast control.
                  3. HD Video Player & Equalizer - it's over simplified and the "equalizer" is for the audio stream. It has brightness, contrast and RGB control. But the RGB can only do an overlay and is ilimited to 0-100 values, so you can't tone down the colors.
                  4. HD Equalizer Video Player - same as 3. but with even less controls.
                  5. reHuePlayer - for now this is the only player I have found with proper color control. They have a very good brightness, contrast, saturation controls. And the brightness control is purely software. It does not change the screen brightness but the video brightness (so you can overblow the video). But they have virtually none controls for subtitles, audio, etc. general video settings like MX or Xplayer.

I hope this info is of some use to other users.
                  Yet I am still looking for OS level color control. Or a better player with more controls, alongside saturation levels. The best would be a fusion between the XPlayer and reHuePlayer

Comment

Thank you mandarin for the details info defiantly will try reHuePlayer when I get my projector back. does you projector fan load? I found out if I charge the projector first 100% and then start it it will behave better.

Comment

Well the only thing related to the fan I've noticed is that it starts to spin faster when the OEM charger is plugged in. Otherwise it's working the same at all times when only on battery. Interestingly enough when the projector is plugged to the powerbank the fan stays at the same speed.

Comment

And back to the topic of the color correction. I've just successfully tested the Color Changer app.
                        It is amazing. Works out of the box. I just installed it, gave it root rights and it just works. It has a ton of settings. It's a background running app, so it will correct the colors not only for movies but for all running apps. It's a life saver. The PRO version costs only ~ $1.5, and you can run a 5 day full-feature trial.
                        Now I will use it to calibrate the colors using some sample images from here.

Comment

Wow nice to know about the color changer. will give it a try! sorry for asking a lot but did you had the chance to install any custom launcher that it will work with this projector yet? keep us posted for any good find if we can't have a full costume ROM at less we can add on to make it work correctly.

Comment

I did not do a large scale research on launchers. I saw that Nova Launcher is popular and I was able to painlessly install it. For now it's working very well. Looks similar to a smartphone.

Comment

Mandarin do you have access to hdmi in icon though home page? how do you have access to you input?

Comment

Working...
                              X