This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM] Mini M8S / MX3 Nano and TVStock (Android TV) Nexus ROMs

In the spirit of the Pure Nexus Project, these custom ROMs prove that less can be more. The goal is to keep true to Google's vision and use the bare minimum of OEM or third-party apps or add-ons, which can be added à la carte by the user as needed. The Nano variant also serves as the foundation for the TVStock ROMs, which deliver the pure Android TV experience using the Open GApps TVStock Package.

TVStock variant includes:Nano Nexus variant includes:
    • Open GApps Nano Package
    • Google Now Launcher (replaces Lighthome Launcher)
    • Google Chrome Browser (replaces AOSP Browser)
    • Google Legacy Camera (replaces AOSP Camera)
    • Google Desk Clock (replaces AOSP Desk Clock)
    • Google WebView (replaces AOSP WebView)
    • File Manager v3.0.0 and Sound Recorder v6.0.1 from CyanogenMod/LineageOS
    • Terminal Emulator for Android v1.0.70 by Jack Palevich
    • TWRP Recovery 3.1.1-0 from TeamWin
    Changelog (20170607):
    • Enabled multi-user support.
    • Added kernel module for many USB Bluetooth dongles (btusb.ko).
    • Reverted to AOSP keyboard, since Gboard just doesn't have the necessary D-pad navigation support. Leanback keyboard is still also available on TVStock.
    • Resolved blocking issue with WiFi setup in SetupWraith that wouldn't allow progress past language selection.
    • Removed several libraries that are no longer required.
    • Updated for latest Open GApps build (20170607).
    Changelog (20170526):
    • New Nexus logo splash and device name of "Nexus M8S".
    • Added Leanback UI sounds.
    • Modified build.prop to spoof the Nexus Player (fugu), which should circumvent some device checks.
    • Modified build.prop to enable 4K output in YouTube for Android TV.
    • Modified several UI settings (inc. animations & themes) in the framework to match those on the Nexus Player.
    • Removed GlobalKeyInterceptor.apk and GamepadPairingService.apk, which are specific to Nexus Bluetooth remotes.
    • Added kernel modules (device drivers) for Sony PS3 and Dragonrise USB HID game controllers.
    • Updated for latest Open GApps build (20170526).
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.1.1-0.
    • Resolved issues with Google Keyboard and Google Leanback Keyboard, and so both are now available to set as default IME.
    • Added SELinux security contexts during sparse file system creation.
    • Fixed keyboard focus issue on first screen of Setup Wizard (SetupWraith).
    • Fixed permissions issue with CanvasPackageInstaller.apk by signing with platform key.
    Changelog (20170425):
    • Fixed bug causing pop-up on first launch to select whether you want to use the setup wizard or skip directly to the Home Screen.
    • Enabled "SKIP" in network selection screen of setup wizard. (This could be useful if you haven't installed wireless driver yet.)
    • Removed SuperSU as preinstall. (Build is still rooted, but now have option of installing via Google Play Store.)
    • Restored TV Settings to Nano variant, just for consistency with other Nano variant releases..
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.1.0-0.
    • Updated with latest Open GApps build (20170425).
    Changelog (20170319):
    • Updated TVStock with latest Live Channels app for Android TV 5.1. (To make visible in launcher, add a channel source like Haystack or Pluto TV.)
    • Updated TVStock with SystemUI app from the Nexus Player (Fugu), which is more appropriate for Android TV.
    Changelog (20170317):
    • Fixed bad API call in ATV Remote Service. Android TV Remote App should now function from your phones and tablets.
    • Fixed permissions that were preventing Kodi from downloading on Google Play Store for Android TV.
    • Deodexed ROMs and updated to latest Open GApps build (20170317).
    Changelog (20170304):
    • First build of TVStock variant running Android TV. (See known bugs below.)
    Changelog (20170303):
    • Latest official Mini M8S ROM build (rv105L3) stripped to Android stock bits and latest Open GApps build
    • New Amlogic S905 boot logo (replaces generic Google TV)
    • Stock Android boot animation
    • Exposed regular Settings app in launcher. The Leadback TVSettings.apk is renamed "TV Settings" (and removed in Nano variant).
    • Switched Nano display density from DENSITY_HIGH (240dpi) to DENSITY_TV (213dpi), which gives more screen real estate and fixes label clipping in Google Now Launcher.
    • Updated icons and layout of navigation bar to center main three buttons and provide better spacing.
    • Removed underlying Amlogic ROM dependency on AOSP WebView.
    • Changed build characteristics to report as "tablet", instead of "mbox" to address some app compatibility issues.
    • Included OTA updaters that can be installed in TWRP without wiping user data.
    Known Bugs:
    • Cast service can't get a Cast device cert through ClientAuthSigner except when casting from Chrome browser.
    • To make Live Channels app visible in launcher, add a channel source like Haystack or Pluto TV.
    • Action bar Up (<) button events are ignored. To work around, use Back button on remote, Esc on keyboard or right-click on mouse.
    • Unable to add VPN profiles in Settings.
    Download:Notes:
    • This ROM is based on the Mini M8S rv105L03 ROM, but it also works without modification on the Beelink Mini MX III. In fact, most AMPAK wireless chipsets seem to be supported, since they emulate the Broadcom BCM4354.
    • The OTA update is signed, and so can be installed in the Update & Backup app, the stock recovery, or TWRP. It's designed for incremental updates, since user data is preserved. Bootloader, logo, boot partition and system partition are included, but not recovery.
    • Flash ROMs at your own risk and always remember to back up your data first. The burn package includes a factory reset
    Credits:Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-000356.jpg Views:	3 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	634172Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170220-120926.jpg Views:	3 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	634176Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-000716.jpg Views:	4 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	634170Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-004808.jpg Views:	3 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	634177Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-000621.jpg Views:	3 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	634175Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170220-120940.jpg Views:	3 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	634179Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-000622.jpg Views:	3 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	634173Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-084715.jpg Views:	3 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	634178Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170217-000414.jpg Views:	3 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	634171
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2017, 21:36.

Also will you bring AndroidTV to this device?

Comment

I'm working on it this weekend. That's why I said "Coming soon" on the TVStock variant above. I think this is the first Android TV port for Amlogic SDK 5.1 (Lollipop) devices, though, so there may be some challenges. In theory at least, you could flash this on any devices based on the reference hardware (p200_2G).

OEMs may have substituted a different wireless chipset or IR remote codes, though, which will necessitate some future updates that you can apply in TWRP recovery. If you find that wireless doesn't work, you can still run on Ethernet, and for your remote control you can substitute a USB keyboard/mouse, BT remote, or run the Android TV Remote control on a phone or tablet (TVStock variant only).
      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2017, 05:18.

Comment

I just posted the first build of the TVStock variant for Android TV. There are a few issues that are specific to the Lollipop build and Amlogic SDK 5.1, but for the most part everything seems to be working just like the builds for S905X and S912. I'll probably spend another day on this just to see if I can get the functionality up to par with Marshmallow, but I'm not planning to spend a lot of time maintaining these builds for older hardware or porting the custom ROMs to devices with different wireless chipsets and IR remote codes. I just did this backport as a proof of concept, so please manage your expectations accordingly.

Comment

I have both device S905 & S912.Does this rom compatible for both devices?Thanks for your great works just love the ATV version

Comment

This is for the Mini M8S, which is an Amlogic S905 device. For the S912, you'd be best to start off with my Beelink GT1 ATV ROM. As with any of these, you can probably install them on any device based on the same Amlogic reference board. The differences will be with the wireless chipsets and IR remote controls, so some tweaking after the fact may be required to restore full functionality.
            ​​​​

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.....I manage to copy IR remote to works except for wireless chipsets how to go about copying the file of the wireless wifi.Any guide or file should i copy?

Comment

Generally, I start with two versions of the same OEM ROM, such as the Beelink GT1 firmware for 9377 and AP6255, and I diff the system directory to create an updater. Then, I replace the boot image, since it's pretty small. I'm sure there are more efficient ways if you've got a legitimate wireless driver install script for Android, but I can never seem to get my hands on those. About the best I can hope for is to adapt the Linux drivers, and sometimes (especially for the Chinese chipset manufacturers) it's difficult to find even them.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2017, 22:58.

Comment

Currently im on wifi module broadcom 4335 non of the above match the rom...but i like this rom because it works well with the box im using now....everthing seem good.

Comment

Nice work. I get mxq pro in try it out soon. keep up great work.
                    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Is that ROM compatible with one of these boxes:

ACEMAX XBMC KODI Amlogic S922X S905X3 S905x2 S905Y2 TV Boxes x96s S912 S905 TV Box M8 TV Box S805 TV Box m8n tv box MXQ PRO 4K

Thanks for your help

Comment

Just tried on mxq pro 201 no go 2 percent flash fail.
                        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                          Just tried on mxq pro 201 no go 2 percent flash fail.
                          Did you try the burn package with USB Burning Tool? The OTA updater is intended for incremental builds, and so I do some assertions at the beginning to ensure I'm on the expected platform. I'm probably being a little too restrictive, but you can easily work around that by doing the full flash with the burn package.

Comment

I tried the burn img. It failes at 2 percent with the burn tool.Ota i didnt try. But the device is 8189.

Comment

Yeah, I just got an "[0x10105002]Romcode/Initialize DDR/Read initialize status/USB Control setup error" trying to flash a QuickPlay MXQ Pro. This rom is looking for a device ID of "p200_G2" and these are just "p200", which I believe is the problem. The OTA updater also failed for that reason, but I didn't try with the device ID assertion removed.

UPDATE: I removed the device ID assertion and tried the OTA updater, and it bricked right after writing the bootloader. Can't even resurrect it with the OEM burn package, so this box is now junk. (Arguably, it already was junk, but it's now completely useless.)

UPDATE: The MXQ Pro was resurrected by shorting pins 29 & 30 on the DRAM, and it's back up and running with an OEM burn package flash.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2017, 23:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X