Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO W Stock & Nano Nexus ROM (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO W Stock & Nano Nexus ROM (Android 7.1)

WARNING: Newer M8S PRO W units may have hardware revisions that make them incompatible with earlier firmware releases. My advice would be to only flash a custom ROM that's based on a known-good OEM firmware release for your box. That said, this latest release is also compatible with the new M8S PRO PLUS units configured with the S905W chipset, since these are basically just rebranded M8S PRO W boxes.

In the spirit of the Pure Nexus Project, these Nano and Stock Nexus ROMs prove that less can be more. The goal is to keep true to Google's vision and use the bare minimum of OEM or third-party apps or add-ons, which can be added ?* la carte by the user as needed. These ROMs also serve as a foundation for TVStock Nexus ROMs, which deliver the pure Android TV experience using the Open GApps TVStock Package.

Important Note: Please use my affiliate link so that GearBest continues to send me sample hardware: MECOOL M8S PRO W Android TV Box

Stock Nexus variant includes:Nano Nexus variant includes:
    • Open GApps Nano Package
    • Google Now Launcher (replaces Lighthome Launcher)
    • Google Chrome Browser (replaces AOSP Browser)
    • Google Legacy Camera (replaces AOSP Camera)
    • Google Desk Clock (replaces AOSP Desk Clock)
    • Google WebView (replaces AOSP WebView)
    • Terminal app from LineageOS
    • TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0 by TeamWin
    Changelog (20190216):
    • Updated to the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20180827.121904.V0213).
    • Now includes Miracast app and Bluetooth dongle support for voice remote.
    • Developer Options now visible by default in Settings.
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0 with latest OEM kernel on OMNI twrp-8.1 branch.
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps build (20190209).
    Changelog (20180311):
    • Updated to the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20180126.191102.V0928),.
    • Wake from sleep is now working, and taking the expected 2-3 seconds.
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-0 with latest OEM kernel.
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps build (20180311).
    Changelog (20180121):
    • Updated to the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20171030.152444.V0619),.
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps build (20180121).
    Changelog (20171201):
    • Based on the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20171017.112143.V0619), stripped to Android stock bits and the latest Open GApps.
    • Added local update and backup option from Settings->About->System update based on Amlogic stock OTAUpgrade app.
    • Added additional options (Reboot & Sleep) to global action menu that displays when you press and hold the Power button.
    • Added support for all HID devices (e.g. remotes, gamepads, etc.) on latest Nougat firmware for Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV & Xiaomi Mi Box
    • Nexus splash logo with stock Nexus boot animation
    Known Bugs:
    • Clicking on Vision Settings in the setup wizard will launch an unsupported activity in Settings.
    • You can enable the nav bar in Settings->Display->Statusbar, but may need to toggle back and forth before it will show.
    • Not all USB Bluetooth dongles will be recognized, but I'll be adding more drivers as I find them.
    Download:Notes:
    • The underlying OEM firmware for this build is pre-rooted, so this is too.
    • The updater is signed, and so can be installed in the Update app, the stock recovery, or TWRP. It's designed for incremental updates, since user data is preserved. If you're installing for the first time, you should include a data wipe.
    • The safest bet is always to install the full Amlogic burn package with USB Burning Tool. With no reset switch, you can trigger USB detection by typing "reboot update" in a terminal window.
    • The local terminal app shows after being enabled in Settings->Developer Options. (This must be revealed by clicking Settings->About->Build 7 times.)
    • Flash ROMs at your own risk and always remember to back up your data first. The burn package includes a factory reset.
    Credits:Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	nexus.jpg Views:	4 Size:	10.8 KB ID:	659665Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-072938.jpg Views:	4 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	659661Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-072953.jpg Views:	4 Size:	16.5 KB ID:	659662Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003105.jpg Views:	3 Size:	14.7 KB ID:	659654Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003120.jpg Views:	3 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	659657Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003203.jpg Views:	3 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	659655Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003325.jpg Views:	3 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	659663Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003248.jpg Views:	3 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	659658Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003302.jpg Views:	3 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	659656Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-003210.jpg Views:	3 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	659659Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-010720.jpg Views:	3 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	659660Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20170721-010729.jpg Views:	3 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	659664
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2019, 22:25.

Hi, no TVStock variant ?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh? The link to the TV Stock variant is right there in the 2nd line of the OP.

good ROM
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Hikvision; 12-24-2017, 12:42.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, sir! Happy Holidays!

Can you add an additional power-on code to the bootloader ? I have an X96 mini and your Nano variant.

custom_code = 0xfe01
    0x40 116 #Power

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, bootloader modifications like that can't really be done without source.

Hello, I use Nano Variant to X96 mini, and not support IR remote, and I used video app has an problem in screen resolution. Can you modify the screen resolution to 720p and add the IR remote support for X96 mini, Thank you!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, this was built for the M8S Pro W. You're free to make modifications on your own for other devices, though. I don't have an X96 Mini.

Originally posted by wgywgy View Post
    Hello, I add the IR remote support for X96 mini, Thank you!
    No problems )
    File for resuscitation of the remote control from X96 mini on firmware from Mecool
    Power button only works on shutdown
    Kodi button launches Google Chrome
    Press the Setup - page -
    Press the APP - page +
    The other buttons fully correspond to their purpose

but it's best to use the Air Mouse T2 on this software
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hikvision View Post
      No problems )
      File for resuscitation of the remote control from X96 mini on firmware from Mecool
      Power button only works on shutdown
      Kodi button launches Google Chrome
      Press the Setup - page -
      Press the APP - page +
      The other buttons fully correspond to their purpose

but it's best to use the Air Mouse T2 on this software

Thank you for your work. I copy remote.conf to /system/etc/remote.conf, works well but can't power on.

Comment

everything is correct, the power-on function is written in the kernel, I'm powerless)

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, it's hardcoded in the bootloader, but that's just as inaccessible without source.

Hello,

Is this an ATV rom? I installed the stock and seems normal. Will there be a ATV?

Comment

Changelog (20180121):
        • Updated to the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20171030.152444.V0619),.
        • Updated to latest OpenGApps build (20180121).
        Known Bugs:
        • Wake from sleep will usually result in a restart. This seems to be a bug in the underlying OEM firmware.
        • Clicking on Vision Settings in the setup wizard will launch an unsupported activity in Settings.
        • You can enable the nav bar in Settings->Display->Statusbar, but may need to toggle back and forth before it will show.
        Download:

Comment

After restart, language is korean...
          Last edited by amandrai; 01-25-2018, 11:06.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Turn off the HDMI CEC language detection.

Thanks!!

Comment

Changelog (20180311):
            • Updated to the latest Mecool M8S PRO W OEM firmware (20180126.191102.V0928),.
            • Wake from sleep is now working, and taking the expected 2-3 seconds.
            • Updated to latest OpenGApps build (20180311).
            Known Bugs:
            Download:

Comment

Thanks for all your great work. I have an M8S Pro W but with Android TV and voice control. I prefer the standard Android UI and wondering if it is possible to install this version on my Android TV box.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                [*]Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-0 with latest OEM kernel.
                Hello, does this recovery support 4K display?
                I extracted the recovery img from the rom's zip and flashed it to my box using the dd method from a root shell and the screen goes blank when connected to a 4K TV.
                I was tring to flash the recovery first and make a backup of my ROM because it seems my box has a newer? ROM than whats available here:
                Amlogic/p21x/p21x: 7.1.2/NHG47L/20180312.181951.V0213:userdebug/
                Any idea how to backup the rom first?
                Would it make any sense to do a raw partition image backup from the root shell? I dont have a clue how to restore that maybe from the recovery shell?

Comment

Working...
                X