Bricked Box ... can it be revived?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bricked Box ... can it be revived?!

After having had success support from Kekilo (my flavour of QBOX) , they suspect outdated firmware as being a possible source of the lower toolbar problem I had been having. They provided me with a link to download the current firmware version for their box. Having never flashed a media box before, I approached them again for support specific to the procedure of flashing. The extent of their support was, "Use a TF card." Yeah ... that was it. Not very specific.

I turned to Google, and found this ... http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...utorials-tool/ . It looked like a pretty reliable source of information.

I copied over the three files provided in Kekilo's firmware link, I believe they were a bin file, the main image file, and an ini file if I recall, over to the root of my 16GB Micro SD card. I unplugged the power source from the back of the QBox, and proceeded to insert the SD card (via adapter) into the side. This box doesn't have a specific exposed "recovery" button, but I think I have discovered it set in with the AV port. While placing a toothpick into the AV port and feeling the distinct pressure of a switch, I plugged the power source into the box. That was quite a feat of dexterity indeed. I could feel the toothpick sliding off the switch as I attempted to handle the the power cord and box with my left hand. The led light came on, but that was all that happened. My TV was begging for a signal. I repeated the process numerous times expecting to see something on the TV screen ... what I was waiting to see remains a mystery. I have no idea what to expect to happen. On my last attempt, I waited several minutes for something to happen. The instructions were a bit vague ... it never told you when, if at all, to release the recover button.

Needless to say ... my Qbox no longer boots up. Please, is anyone able to help me recover from this if possible? Kekilo seems to have stopped their support.

I did try the PC Upgrade Technique. I downloaded an english version of Amlogic USB Burning Tool (v2.0.6.2_build2) and referred to the instructions here, http://androidpcreview.com/how-to-us...firmware/3749/.

I did, miraculously, manage to get the software to recognize the QBox. I direct the tool to the image file provided to me, and press start. It gets into a few seconds of the operation, 2%, and ends with an error: "Initialize DDR / initialize the status Reader / USB Controller Setup Error)"

Augh. Google hasn't helped me find a solution. I've tried different computers, redownloaded the img software, and tried many many different combinations of button presses, cable connecting and power source connecting combinations but all end in the same result.

So here I am now, asking for help! Extending full appreciation in advance, does anyone have a solution to offer to get things functional again. Perhaps someone can point out where I may have went wrong. Perhaps someone can write (rewrite) detailed thorough step by step instruction on how to do this, and include what to expect. (ie my original problem with the SD card ... what should I have seen to ensure something was actually happening? Although I saw nothing on the TV screen. as I was expecting, perhaps it was doing it's thing without me knowing and I interrupted it.)

Jen

Hi MaxArk68 ;

have you tried another ToolVersion ??? or USB Cable , use the USB port beside the HDMI port for flash.

Did you press the Resetbutton inside the AV jack while connecting the Device to PC ???

Try this Tutorial :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IU/mobilebasic

if it not works this way try it with pressing the Resetbutton while connecting to PC.

Press RB Button and plug in USB (still press RB) then plug in Power (still press RB) if the Device now is connected leave the

RB Button and press Startbutton on the Tool and wait until 100%.

For pressing the RB Button i use a Earcleaner without the wool. Cant slide off so fast.

Ask if you need more help

nice Day

gefattern

Comment

Thanks gefattern ... I'll follow your suggestions and give it another go.
      I haven't tried any other version, but I suppose I could. Maybe 2.0.5.

Comment

Qbox sometimes "Temperamental" on usb tool... Mental the best word on that comment. Try loading usb tool load firmware and click start before you connect the device. Change usb port on pc and if still not working. Try with out using power supply first making sure reaet switch depressed and held.
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Perhaps burning the image to an sd card using burn card maker is worth a try if the tool cannot be successfully used.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1xgsy89o2ea32l/Burn%20Card%20Maker.zip?dl=0

As long as you know how to boot the box into the correct mode then it works well (press in reset button whilst applying power and holding in for 2-3 seconds until the upgrade screen appears. The procedure will be different for other boxes though).

I have an MXIIIG-II that I am unable to flash with the tool, so I use this method.
          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Hello folks, thank you all for contributing. I am not having very good luck at all. Scooter, I think "mental" may be too generous a word.

I am using an older version of USB Burning Tool. My PC doesn't appear to have any problem identifying the connection (HUB2-1) as soon as I connect the USB cable to it.
            - I have tried all your suggested combinations of plugging in cables and pressing start getfattern.
            - scooter, tried your suggestions to click start before connecting USB and to try with reset held and start and still ...

getting Initialize [0x10105002] Romcode / Initialize DDR / read initialize status/ USB Controller Setup Error

Bluesmanuk, I downloaded the burn card maker, which formatted my SD card and applied the 3 files included in the update package provided to me. (aml_sdc_burn.ini; aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT; aml_upgrade_package.img)

With the power to the box removed, I inserted the card.
            While depressing the reset switch with a Q-Tip, I plugged the power supply back into the box.
            I waited 3-5 seconds before I released the switch.
            Nothing appears to be happening. I am expecting to see the green android droid on my TV screen, but nothing.

:-(

Jen

Comment

Just confirm software your flashing on qbox..

That one works good.

Sd firmware most likely stock but check that sd card formated properly before flashing. Fat32 but i having brain fart tonight cant remember if 32 or ntfs is best

Sometimes people click wrong link software not fully downloaded or bad zip. Check the easy ones first. Re download the software above. Unzip it and try again.

Youll get there and be like I DID IT THANK GOD
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Hi MaxArk68 ,

Scooter is right it is a good Rom and works on QBox , try it once with this Rom.

good Luck

gefattern

Comment

All of your support is so encouraging. But I'm beginning to fear more a hardware issue than anything.
                  I tried the superceleron flash as suggested by scooter in post #7. Using the burn card maker, the SD card was formatted (tried both FAT32 and NTFS) and applied the 3 superceleron files.
                  QBox power disconnected, SD inserted. Reset button depressed while power reconnected. LED light on, but that was it.

This to has failed.

Tried the USB Burning Tool again, but with this alternate upgrade. It continues to give me the same error.

Comment

Try uninstall driver re install and are you using just the usb or power and usb??
                    in usb tool its just the one img. I had bad time with mine as well so keep at youll get it.
                    I see another post that he used a build usb burning tool ill post that link soon as i find it again.

Comment

Hi scooter, Once again thank you for your support.
                      I'm not certain I understand the process of removing the driver. Is it not installed as part of the USB Burn tool, and to uninstall it, to uninstall the tool? I have done that several times assuming that with each uninstall the drivers were being uninstalled as well. And then repeated reinstalls thereafter of the tool would reinstall the drivers. I have always installed the burning tool while connected to the box through the USB cable. It was my assumption that if the software recognized the device that it wasn't a driver issue, but I have been known to misinterpret things. I only have one USB port on my laptop.

Am I using just USB or USB and power? I have tried both with the same results. I have read mixed support saying both were needed, but all I found was complication in awkwardly holding a toothpick to a tiny switch while trying to connect power and USB cable simultaneously.

"In usb tool its just the one img" - sorry, not sure what you mean. I have been loaded the superceleron img that you and gefattern both recommended.

Jen :-)

Comment

An update:
                        I found a version of USB Burning tool 2.0.5.9 and installed it along with the drivers.
                        As soon as I plug the USB cable in (no power cable) the connection succeeds.
                        After loading the file, and press start, I make more progress than ever before!! I get past 2%, and make it to 4%!!! This time it stops on error:
                        [0x10202003] Romcode / Lead UBOOT / Download UBOOT / Data transfer error

Comment

Comment

Have you tried selecting force erase all in the tool?

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Hey scooter, thanks for the link. I've been referring quite often to that site since I've embarked on this journey (see post 1).
                              Bluesmanuk ... I did try your suggestion and same thing.

There is only one local place I can get USB male / USB male cables, they aren't cheap. and to replace my existing one from the same place, same manufacturer, I double will make a change. I have oodles of USB male to USB male micro cords! Doh.

Comment

Working...
                              X