Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I've just insalled an Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_2017 0907.img.xz image on sdcard and through card reader run it on my nexbox a95x-B7M (s905x) device with 2G of RAM. First of all the video seems to be shifted (I can not see first 3-4 letters from left and couple of lines from the bottom) During initialization there are couple of "failed" checks (I'm not able to read them as it goes fast) but one of them is "failed to start HDMI init".
    I can log into system - but after typing "startx" I've got a black screen and nothing happend
    I would appriciate any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyck View Post
      Hi,
      I've just insalled an Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_2017 0907.img.xz image on sdcard and through card reader run it on my nexbox a95x-B7M (s905x) device with 2G of RAM. First of all the video seems to be shifted (I can not see first 3-4 letters from left and couple of lines from the bottom) During initialization there are couple of "failed" checks (I'm not able to read them as it goes fast) but one of them is "failed to start HDMI init".
      I can log into system - but after typing "startx" I've got a black screen and nothing happend
      I would appriciate any help.
      1. Try to add correct dtb file
      2. No command startx do not need to give. Choose the right DE at the login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
        What is the difference between gxbb_p200 and gxbb_p201? And on the latest images, how do I boot into Mate rather than Kodi?
        1. p201 - 100Mb LAN. p200 - LAN 1000Mb(1Gb)
        2. Use the selection menu of the graphic shell at the login screen (top right corner).

Comment

hello,
          I need support - I have S812 and I tried to follow these steps, where problem occurs in step n.8 - instead of "boot from external media" after second restart, it booted from original ROM immediately.
          There is no black screen for 7-10minutes, it just boot as usual. I also tried the step n.9 (swith dtb.img), but problem remains the same. I followed all the steps from this guide.
          Can you suggest possible mistakes, which I could made please ?
          I would take any suggestion.

1. Download the desired image
          2. Unpack
          3. Record an image on the medium
          4. to run Android
          5. open the app "Update&Backup"
          6. Select local update and an archive on removable media (aml_update.zip)
          7. Run update
          8. System twice to reboot and start running the system from external media.
          9. If after 7-10 minutes on the monitor not to receive any messages on system startup. Turn off TV box and add in manual in the first partition (FAT) the file "dtb.img". On the media there is a directory dtb from where you can take the files and copy them to the root of the renaming of "dtb.img".

Need to pick up the option for the file system will run. Pay attention, after you add\change the dtb file, you need to try to run the system and waiting to run 7-10 minutes. If not happened, repeat with a different dtb file.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobek View Post
            I have S812
            Wrong thread. If you actually meant S912, you need to provide the correct dtb file for your box.

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
              1. Try to add correct dtb file
              2. No command startx do not need to give. Choose the right DE at the login screen.
              1) yeah - i missed that step - so now I\ve tried to copy nexbox-a95x-s905.dtb file from dtb folder - copy it to the root, raname to dtb.img. And now when I run my device it stuck on the "nexbox a95x" splash screen - I reboot couple of times and wait about 15 minutes but nothing happend. Should I try different dtb files ?

Comment

I'm runninh xannytech custom rom on my T95X but there doesn't seem to be update&backup app installed. Anyone has link to this apk ?

Comment

hello
                  i have a KII pro S905 2GB/16GB and build in DVB S2 tuner. Have test debian and ubuntu work well.
                  Which version is better for a streaming server with live tv?
                  How can I activate the dvb s2 tuner (avl6862)?

Comment

1) yeah - i missed that step - so now I\ve tried to copy nexbox-a95x-s905.dtb file from dtb folder - copy it to the root, raname to dtb.img. And now when I run my device it stuck on the "nexbox a95x" splash screen - I reboot couple of times and wait about 15 minutes but nothing happend. Should I try different dtb files ?
                    That dtb isn't working then. I think it is a s905 dtb where you need an s905x dtb. I think you want either gxl_p212_1g or gxl_p212_1g depending on your ram.

Comment

Hi ,

I'm running Arch linux with Kodi (one of the builds from Balbes) and have two issues - one of which is quite odd. I was able to install the Arch linux + Kodi onto the eMMC of a p200 board (S905) and it boots just fine.

- The first issue is that when I insert any SD card in (tried multiple 8G, 16G) - it is not able to initialize the SD card. I get error "-95" and/or "-110"

Log on console:

Code:
                      [aml_is_card_insert] card IN
                      |[53708.545592@2] normal card in
                       sd: error -110 whilst initialising MMC card
                      Now this is weird because I am able to use the same SD cards to boot this device into Linux. It is only Arch linux once booted from eMMC that it is no longer able to initialize SD cards.

- Second issue - I cannot get the IR remote to work. The only code that works is power ON and OFF. i.e. I can turn off and on the device using remote, but I cannot get any other keys to register. I do not see any messages generated on the UART console of the device for any other keys I press.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot these two issues ?

Thanks,

Last edited by ajiratech; 10-17-2017, 19:19. Reason: added more information to clarify what all I've tried for SD card issue.

Comment

Originally posted by nosmokingbandit View Post

That dtb isn't working then. I think it is a s905 dtb where you need an s905x dtb. I think you want either gxl_p212_1g or gxl_p212_1g depending on your ram.
                        You are my hero
                        Worked like a charm

Comment

Hi all i have an h96 pro + with 3Go 32Go,
                          Where can i find dtb file?

When aml autoscript is finish how to know it's good or not?

thx by advance

Comment

Hi - With your help I was able to run Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_2017 0907 on my a95x nexbox. Currently I have followin issues/questions
                            1) wif is not working (I'm using cable connection after all - so it is not an issue for me) - As i understand its know issue ?
                            2) sound is not working for me ...
                            a) In sound settings I have only "analog output" which seems not to work (I've plugged headphones to av port (I'm not even sure if it is an analog output port :P ))
                            b) I'm not able to send sound through hdmi
                            c) I'm not able to send sound through spdif (This is the most desirable option)
                            d) external sound card (usb) seems to work

Thank for all help in advance

Comment

Hi - With your help I was able to run Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_2017 0907 on my a95x nexbox. Currently I have followin issues/questions
                              1) wif is not working (I'm using cable connection after all - so it is not an issue for me) - As i understand its know issue ?
                              2) sound is not working for me ...
                              a) In sound settings I have only "analog output" which seems not to work (I've plugged headphones to av port (I'm not even sure if it is an analog output port :P ))
                              b) I'm not able to send sound through hdmi
                              c) I'm not able to send sound through spdif (This is the most desirable option)
                              d) external sound card (usb) seems to work

Thank for all help in advance
                              Use the dtb, which is suitable to your model.

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post

Use the dtb, which is suitable to your model.

I know that you probably think that I'm lazy and not using google... but I didnt find suitable dtb file for a95x (s905x) box -
                                I've tried almost all from dtb folder from armbian image - only this with gxl_p212 prexiv boot .
                                The best I found on the internet is https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/device_trees/S905X/ and I've tried all 3 and all them boot - but sound wasnt working.

Comment

Working...
                                X