Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's something wrong with the kernel configuration in the Ubuntu image. With lots of ZRAM available, I'm getting OOM kills like this one, when memory usage gets close to full:

Code:
    lowmemorykiller: Killing 'someapp' (7580), adj 0,
                      to free 893228kB on behalf of 'kswapd0' (41) because
                      cache 27268kB is below limit 65536kB for oom_score_adj 0
                      Free memory is -2124kB above reserved. nonmove free (5976kB),(22392kB)
    The kernel should start compressing memory, instead of killing processes. What gives? (it almost looks as if the memory split was wrong)

Comment

How much RAM on the test box ? 1 Gigabyte or 2 ?

Comment

2G - of which 1.8G is physically available and the highest ZRAM usage I've seen was probably around 150MB which points to a 2GB addressing limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
          Which distro packages are unsafe to upgrade automatically? (especially in the Odroid C2 Ubuntu image)
          I have the same question . I am using a Mini MX with Ubuntu on the SD card . I did the full upgrade using the APT-GET and had no problems , but I see many quotes about possible problems when updating some packages . These problems are happening with images on SD ?
          My mini MX is all original and 107L1 firmware. My SD installation process was just swap the DTB file. Not multi boot or other methods to run Ubuntu .

Comment

Originally posted by joopjanes View Post
            hi all
            Thnk balbes150 for your contribution. telos_armbian_20160506.7z
            Tried it out on a mini mx and it's working. Only i have 1 warning don't update all with the synaptic package manerger.
            you wiil completely brick your device and than you have to disassemble your box and connect pin 29+30 together of the nand flash.

Greatings,
            Hello! I also have a mini MX . I'm currently running Ubuntu . My installation method was just swap the DTB file and run the image on SD . I am currently with the image fully updated via apt- get upgrade and dist -upgrade and I had no problems.
            Do you have any idea of the problems that may occur when upgrade the distro? Is there anything that changes the u -boot of the internal device EMMC ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
              2G - of which 1.8G is physically available and the highest ZRAM usage I've seen was probably around 150MB which points to a 2GB addressing limitation.
              I use a USB drive for Linux on Telos. A quick scan has not yet discovered the problem. When you get a chance, I'll try to check more details.

Comment

Originally posted by joaopuga View Post

I have the same question . I am using a Mini MX with Ubuntu on the SD card . I did the full upgrade using the APT-GET and had no problems , but I see many quotes about possible problems when updating some packages . These problems are happening with images on SD ?
                My mini MX is all original and 107L1 firmware. My SD installation process was just swap the DTB file. Not multi boot or other methods to run Ubuntu .
                Which version of the image used ? Where installed ? What boot method ?

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
                  Which version of the image used ? Where installed ? What boot method ?
                  My Mini MX is with Uboot unchanged. I just got a DTB file in the same version of my firmware and wrote image in SD using the method of another topic of this site, as the steps below:

To install :
                  1 - use win32image or dd to copy it on sdcard, and inserd sdcard in minimx
                  2 - unplug minimx power
                  3 - press reset button under the box and keep it pressed
                  4 - replug minix power, and wait until minimx first bear logo image disappear
                  5 - release the reset button
                  6 - wait for boot

Link of original post: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...nd-x-on-sdcard

I'm trying to use the ARMBIAN you created in this topic , but is not booting . This ARMBIAN works only using the original DTB file from my Mini MX , or i need to do anything else? You must change the Mini MX Uboot to use Armbian ? One more question ... What is the real problem of using images directly created for ODROID C2 ?

Comment

Now I understood what method You use. u-boot on Your unit changed. Koxx integrated activation multi-boot in your image. In ubuntu image there are two script file. aml_autoscript is a script at the first start (in the update mode, press the "Reset" button), performs the activation of the multi-boot. Further inclusions consoles, use the normal procedure for multi-boot. Which is spelled out in the script s905_autoscript.

To start ARMBIAN , pay attention to this message. You need to rename the kernel file. For MiniMX still need to copy the dtb.img file.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...438#post581438

Possible problems from the direct use of the image of Odroid C2. Erased\overwritten the bootloader and the console turns into a brick. I myself experienced this on your Telos and Spot i7. More links to similar problems.

https://www.linux.org.ru/forum/linux...mment-12426622

Comment

Uploaded the fixed image ARMBIAN. The image automatically detect and download the correct dtb file. To operate this function, you must update the multi-boot using the files for your model. The list of supported models and files for them here. If multiboot is already activated with the generic file, you need to re-activate using the files for your model. If the required model is not listed or does not work properly, replace file dtb.img in the root of the FAT partition on your file.

p/s/ This function works similarly to the way ubuntu_multi_dtb

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
                        Now I understood what method You use. u-boot on Your unit changed. Koxx integrated activation multi-boot in your image. In ubuntu image there are two script file. aml_autoscript is a script at the first start (in the update mode, press the "Reset" button), performs the activation of the multi-boot. Further inclusions consoles, use the normal procedure for multi-boot. Which is spelled out in the script s905_autoscript.

To start ARMBIAN , pay attention to this message. You need to rename the kernel file. For MiniMX still need to copy the dtb.img file.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...438#post581438

Possible problems from the direct use of the image of Odroid C2. Erased\overwritten the bootloader and the console turns into a brick. I myself experienced this on your Telos and Spot i7. More links to similar problems.

https://www.linux.org.ru/forum/linux...mment-12426622

Thank you very much! Now I understand this question of aml_autoscript script , which enables multi-boot . I could use Armbian using the said script and my DTB file. It was necessary to change the file Image for zImage , as the topic you indicated .

About the dangerous packages , I am using the command apt-mark hold "package" to not upgrade packages of the ODROID kernel and Uboot . All other i am updating without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by joaopuga View Post

Thank you very much! Now I understand this question of aml_autoscript script , which enables multi-boot . I could use Armbian using the said script and my DTB file. It was necessary to change the file Image for zImage , as the topic you indicated .

About the dangerous packages , I am using the command apt-mark hold "package" to not upgrade packages of the ODROID kernel and Uboot . All other i am updating without problems.

I bricked my Q-box, I had Armbian on the sd, and before reading this subject I did sudo apt-get upgrade, after this upgrade the system refuses to reboot, I allready tried with boot card maker but without succes.
                          Annyone can help me to get this fixed?

Thanks, Jefken3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post

I bricked my Q-box, I had Armbian on the sd, and before reading this subject I did sudo apt-get upgrade, after this upgrade the system refuses to reboot, I allready tried with boot card maker but without succes.
                            Annyone can help me to get this fixed?

Thanks, Jefken3.
                            What image Armbian you used ? How to create a bootable card ? Are you sure that card is actually bootable ? There is a possibility to connect the console UART ?

Comment

balbes150 , I used this one; "armbian_multi_dtb_v3_20160627.img", I' m not sure if my sd card is bootable, last time I recovered my device it was working with the same card, se was virgin at that moment though, how can I check if the card is bootable? There is no serial available.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post
                                balbes150 , I used this one; "armbian_multi_dtb_v3_20160627.img", I' m not sure if my sd card is bootable, last time I recovered my device it was working with the same card, se was virgin at that moment though, how can I check if the card is bootable? There is no serial available.
                                You are familiar with Linux, a few commands in the terminal will be able to give ? What is the size of the SD card ? You have the flash drive capacity of 30 GB or more ?

Comment

Working...
                                X