Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

****************************************** Manual run Systems ******************************************

Now all images Armbian and LE has all the files for activate the multi-boot. Anything in addition to download and copy to media is not required.

1. Download the desired image
    2. Unpack
    3. Record an image on the medium
    4. to run Android
    5. open the app "Update&Backup"
    6. Select local update and an archive on removable media (aml_update.zip)
    7. Run update
    8. System twice to reboot and start running the system from external media.
    9. If after 7-10 minutes on the monitor not to receive any messages on system startup. Turn off TV box and add in manual in the first partition (FAT) the file "dtb.img". On the media there is a directory dtb from where you can take the files and copy them to the root of the renaming of "dtb.img".

Need to pick up the option for the file system will run. Pay attention, after you add\change the dtb file, you need to try to run the system and waiting to run 7-10 minutes. If not happened, repeat with a different dtb file.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

All work is credited to Balbes150 @balbes150.
    Many devices are now supported.

To get the latest information, always look for balbes150's recent posts in this thread or here.

UPDATE: See below these original directions. I will leave the original directions for reference

**Original Directions**
    There are two separate steps to running Linux(or OpenELEC) on the Vega S95, all models.
    1.) U-boot needs to be modified to enable booting from SD Card or Flash Drive.
    NOTE: If you have already done Step 1, for instance, you already modified u-boot for OpenELEC, You can skip Step1
    2.) The SD Card or Flash Drive needs to be prepared for the OdroidC2 Ubuntu-Mate image.

This is not too difficult, but as with all user actions related to running unofficial firmware, the user is responsible. Proceed at your own risk.
    I did not see much risk, but the decision is yours.

Step 1.) Modifying u-boot to enable SD Card and/or Flash Drive booting.

NOTE: No change to the installed Android will take place, only u-boot will be amended.

1a.) Download update_uboot for your model from here. Copy both to the root of an SD Card. NOTE: This is balbes150's updated U-boot modify script and method.

1b.) With no SD card inserted in the S95, power on the S95. When Android boots, insert the SD Card to the S95. Open the Backup&Update app. Under the "Local Update" section, click "Select". It will examine the SD Card and you should see the file, "'aml_autoscript.zip", select it. This will return you to the Update&Backup app's home screen. In the "Local Update" section, click "Update", to run the update.
    When complete, the S95 will reboot to Android. Remove the SD Card from the S95 and power it down. That is all we need with that SD Card, you can use it in the next step, the tool will wipe it when writing the image in the following step.

Step 2.) Preparing the SD Card or Flash Drive for OdroidC2 Ubuntu-Mate on the S95.
    SD Card Class10 or better, at least 8GB recommended.

Tool you will need.
    2a.) HDD Raw Copy Tool from HDDGURU.com
    -If you want to install the tool, use the installed version.
    -If you don't want to install the tool, use the Portable version. I used this, I like "Portable" programs.

All other files needed can be found here.

-Extract the file. The resulting file will be, "telos_ubuntu_odroidc2.img". If your model of box is different or you have chosen a different Linux distro, the file name will be similar.

2b.)Run HDD Raw Copy Tool as administrator. Using the tool, double-click "FILE", locate, select and load the image, "telos_ubuntu_odroidc2.img". Click continue.

-Pay very close attention in choosing the target, this will be the SD card or Flash drive that will be written to.

Warning: Make certain the "Target" you choose is the SD card or Flash drive you intend to write to. If you choose the wrong drive(hard drives included), the tool will overwrite it, data loss will occur. SO MAKE VERY CERTAIN YOU CHOOSE THE DRIVE(SD Card or Flash drive) YOU INTEND TO WRITE TO!

-If satisfied you have chosen the correct Target, click continue.

LAST CHANCE TO BACK OUT.

-Click "Start" and wait for completion.
    Once done, close the tool.

With the S95 powered down, insert the SD card. Power on the S95. Be patient, it can take 3-7 minutes before you see the login screen.
    If after 10 minutes you don't get to the Odroid login screen, power down, wait 5 seconds and reboot. If it fails to get to the login screen again, power down, wait 5 seconds and reboot. This has taken me as many as 3 repeats to get to the login screen.
    Different cards seem to be more, or less, tolerant of the first boot. Once you get to the login screen, the password is odroid
    Subsequent boots are fast.

balbes150 has additional Linux images, Debian, ARMBIAN, Alt Linux and others, see Linux folder here.. Prepare SD Card same as Step 2.
    Tips and tricks for the Debian Image, including adding a desktop environment and password, can be found here. <<<<<<NOTE: Only for reference, do not use files found at this link, use only files found on balbes150's Yandex site.
    An OpenELEC image is also available here. There are OpenELEC versions that run and boot from USB flash drive or SD card. Also a version for install to internal memory.

**New DIrections Start Here**
    Note: For latest images and login credentials, see here.
    For Windows+Android:
    Card Prep:
    1.) Format an SD card to FAT32. 4GB minimum( I generally use 16 and 32 cards), Class 10 or better recommended. The faster the better.
    2.) Download and extract the file, the extracted file will be an image. I use 7Zip for extraction.
    3.) Burn the image to the SD card. I use HDD RAW(portable ver.). Programs like Rufus or Win32DiskImager, etc should also work. Caution with HDD RAW, make certain you select the SD card as the target, HDD RAW will write over anything, it does not care about your feelings on the matter. It does have a couple of confirm notices, but be careful anyway.

To Run with prepared card: A few things take place, it does not just boot to Linux first go round.

1.) With the TV box running Android, insert the prepared card in to the box's SD slot or use a USB card reader.
    Note: I like to use a card reader with activity LED, so I can see something is happening. The first boot can take a few minutes and the flashing LED is reassuring.

2.) At Android/Settings/About Device/System/updates. Note: You may have the Update and Backup app in the App Drawer.
    -From the Update and Backup App, under the UpdateLocale section, click Select, select aml_autoscript.zip, click update.
    Note: Leave "Wipe Data" and "Wipe Media" unchecked/unticked. To be clear, do not use those options

-The TV box will reboot, it will do so a couple of times.
    -Eventually you will see the initial login prompt.
    Initial login credentials, See here for login info on the different images.

-You will be asked to select a new password, do so. You will be asked to create a new User and P/W, do so.

-The box will reboot, this boot will be a bit slow, but ultimately should bring you to the desktop.
    If the card's available space does not get expanded, use gparted(may need to install) to expand the Ext partition to fill the card.

The steps sound far more complicated than they are. Do it once, and you probably won't need this guide the second time.

++>>>See here(post#440) for a balbes150 image that comes with 5 Desktop Environments in one Distro.<<<++

Many thanks and all credit goes to @balbes150.

-Have fun.
    Last edited by balbes150; 03-24-2017, 06:09.

Telos s95 running ubuntu MATE
    Very easy to set up and boots very quick, Using Logitech k400r easy.
    Excellent

Last edited by trebor; 04-07-2016, 20:53.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thank you, good manual.

Comment

Thanks for the procedures awesome !, alot of kodi user would love this and could results sales increase of Tronsmart s95, l am glad I got three boxes when it came out lol

Comment

i follow everything but nothing happen, no odroid login, nothing. its just tronsmart logo in loop..can you update this with picture and more detail. thanks.

Comment

It is important to realize that the first boot can take several minutes. Maybe try a different card.

Comment

i finally able to make it work, i don't copy "s905_autoscript" just the "dtb.img" to sd card and it work. Now i don't know how to connect to wifi, can you tell how?

Comment

At present, ethernet only
                Cheers
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by telolos View Post
                  i finally able to make it work, i don't copy "s905_autoscript" just the "dtb.img" to sd card and it work.
                  You can show the first (FAT) partition of the card which is loaded with Ubuntu ?

Comment

Information

treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

RISCy Dude, excellent instruction write-up. Makes me want to purchase one of these boxes just for Linux and OpenELEC.
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                        Information

For only PC, NOT Vega S95.

Wrote a short manual in pictures how to increase the size by using a Live CD (you can use any version of the Live CD). In the instruction specified the Live-CD my build, as advertising

Посмотреть и скачать с Яндекс Диска

Comment

Very nice PDF manual you have made. It will be helpful to those not familiar with gparted.

Comment

Changed the script aml_autoscript (v0.2). Please update the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                              RISCy Dude, excellent instruction write-up. Makes me want to purchase one of these boxes just for Linux and OpenELEC.
                              Hello clarkss12, Thank you. Of course all credit goes to balbes150 for his excellent work. Yes his work on both OpenELEC and Linux for the S95 is a definite value add for this box. As I think you will want to know, DTS and Dolby HD are working well on OE. I have not experienced the DTS dropouts familiar to many S905 device owners. Granted, I have not got to spend much time with it, but it is very encouraging.
                              balbes150 continues to refine both the procedure and the OSes functionality on the S95. He is attempting to get WiFi and BT working on these OSes, for the 3 models. Also working to get them to NAND.
                              He has been very helpful and is very responsive to user questions. I wish he would take some dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X