Mini M8S II 4K Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X 2/8GB WiFi 10/100 LAN BT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got mine today.First thoughts

Wifi is in a unworkable state with the best download speeds i got so far is 1.8Mbps two feet from the router.If I move to 6 feet away I get 0.6Mbps FacePalm & the link speed is showing at 72Mbps

The first thing I checked was the soldering on the PCB that all looks ok

Kodi runs great using the Ethernet (Wifi no chance of that)

The box is Not rooted, Iv tried I few methods but none seem to work so far.Have you guys found a way to root it yet??

Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
      Got mine today.First thoughts
      Wifi is in a unworkable state with the best download speeds i got so far is 1.8Mbps two feet from the router.If I move to 6 feet away I get 0.6Mbps FacePalm & the link speed is showing at 72Mbps
      Glad to know its not just me having the same WIFI problems. Hopefully they can fix it with an update (I'm not holding my breath). Unless you are plugged in this box is a paper weight.

Comment

Anyone checked how the wifi wires are connected in the inside of the box?
        Since other S905x tv boxes come with the same firmware from Amlogic and don't have this problem, I think it is hardware related and not fixable.
        Who are the manufacturers of Mini m8s ii's, if it is a hardware fault they should immediately stop manufacturing them and users should try to contact them if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
          Anyone checked how the wifi wires are connected in the inside of the box?
          Since other S905x tv boxes come with the same firmware from Amlogic and don't have this problem, I think it is hardware related and not fixable.
          Who are the manufacturers of Mini m8s ii's, if it is a hardware fault they should immediately stop manufacturing them and users should try to contact them if possible.
          Cnxsoft opened it up and didn't see any outside problems: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/...-and-teardown/
          Wireless is provided by Ampak AP6212 : http://www.sunnyqi.com/content/?471.html

Comment

Had a closer look at the soldering on the wifi antenna,,Ok its not the best solder joint but looks ok Iv seen far worse

​So iv un soldered the old antenna & re soldered a new one i had lying around

Same results wifi is a not useable (Way to slow) up and down like a yo yo I did manage to get to 2.1Mps
            Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Not sure why you fella's are having the WiFi problem, thru put here is good must be Something with Antenna or bandwidth setting/frequency allocation not set
              correct for you region, speculation only..and no luck with Root as yet
              Cheers
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Hey guys!

I had been thinking about buying an Android Box for some time now and decided to go with this one.

My goal is to watch FHD streaming + 5.1 DTS/DD. I struggled a lot to get a good enough setup for it to work.

I tried a Micro SD formatted as internal so I would have the permission to write but that gave me really bad results. The video and audio stuttered a lot so I decided to find another solution. Same with a pen drive btw.

Next was trying the same SD as portable storage. Buffering would start well and then would drop to 10/20kb/s after some seconds. I read it is an Android bug.

Anyway, I settled with a pen drive connected to my router and setting it as the drive for the buffer. That gave me excellent results compared to my other tries but I still have issues.

I have passthrough enabled and I'm using a good HDMI cable. Image is fine but the audio ducks from time to time. It's not rhythmic. Some times it happens every 5 seconds and then stops to only happen 2/3 minutes after.

I've never had any issues with this setup on a Macbook Pro connected to my TV and amp (SPDIF) so I don't know if the box is just not capable of doing it or if we're in need of a serious firmware revision/custom ROM.

Any idea of what could be happening or is this expected behaviour? What about the storage issue, do you think there's another solution?

We're talking about a 3GB 1080p/5.1 DD mkv btw, I would expect this box to be powerful enough to run this smoothly.

Also, I'm using Play Store Kodi.

Comment

Hello dastinger... These boxes are fairly inexpensive, so jump in.. Kodi has a feature called advancedsetting. This allows you to buffer your network connections that virtually eliminates lags. I have no issues with Kodi and my NAS devices. Most of my access is wired, but wireless has no major issues. The mali-450 gpu on this box is very stable.
                  Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Youtube 4k works or not?
                    Free 100Gb space for your files:
                    https://degoo.com/g/Ov7nAz0

Comment

Originally posted by cjeman View Post
                      Hello dastinger... These boxes are fairly inexpensive, so jump in.. Kodi has a feature called advancedsetting. This allows you to buffer your network connections that virtually eliminates lags. I have no issues with Kodi and my NAS devices. Most of my access is wired, but wireless has no major issues. The mali-450 gpu on this box is very stable.
                      Hey!

Thanks a lot for your help. I already have the box so the only decision to be made right now is whether I keep it or not :/ I'll try fiddling with the Advanced Settings you told me about and I'll report back afterwards. Thanks a lot!

Btw, guys. Just got a notification for an update. The changelog mentions System Stability improvement. It's MHC19J 20160719. Let's see if this helps with performance.

The system won't let me update. It reboots to Recovery, starts the process but fails every time. Any idea?

Comment

Keep at the update, mine was a bit suss, took a few goes to get in/sort itself out.
                        if you have sd or usb plugged in ejecta also may help.
                        Cheers
                        treboR
                        Please consider
                        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Try saving the update to downloads and manually move to system.(Drives me bonkers when manufactures put the crappiest recovery in the device. Add install for zip not just adb and reboot view logs ect. )
                          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Looks like this update aint going in at the present...
                            More testing and fiddling, I still hate OTA updates Grrrr
                            Cheers
                            treboR
                            Please consider
                            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Wana borrow my hammer? At least you got a update 😛
                              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Not Hammer Yet, but they are working on the roads and I do detect a steam roller....Hmmmm

I have found leave an sd in and it will copy the ota to there, buried within the OTA dir
                                But when run it fails from there, now to copy back to system and see what happens

Also tried like we did on the 3229 restore back to basic to get it in but nope.

treboR
                                Please consider
                                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                                X