Mini M8S II 4K Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X 2/8GB WiFi 10/100 LAN BT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Just to give you an update on my Mini M8S II dead box situation - still waiting for a reply from the supplier (I think I'll still be waiting before hell freezes over ) anyway in a bit of desperation this morning I spotted this post: http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...s905x-firmware . The TX3 has a similar spec to the Mini M8S II so I said what the hell, it can't make it any worse - hooked up the box, loaded the USB Burning tool and hey presto the image uploaded, box came back to life and has been up and running for the last few hours, and it's even rooted !!
    I don't know bout you guys but IMO Android is just terrible for running KODI, so now I just have to wait for Openelec or LibreElec for this Amlogic S905x box . I know it's not exactly the right thing to do to use a firmware from a different box but so far so good

Comment

Cool, it will be interesting to see if anything else if fixed with that firmware, pass-through and refresh rate switching...

Comment

I only have it hooked to my TV here at work at the moment but I'll try to get it tested later with my full AV setup !!

Comment

well if works on one may work on both, ill try on the m8s mini 2 gig and see maybe root option not needed with this firmware on it? check tonight...
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Pass-through audio still an issue. This update did not fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by kalebroc View Post
              Hi guys,
              I don't know bout you guys but IMO Android is just terrible for running KODI, so now I just have to wait for Openelec or LibreElec for this Amlogic S905x box . I know it's not exactly the right thing to do to use a firmware from a different box but so far so good
              Yes Android and Kodi is world problems around here, easy fix don't use Kodi, OE or LE should make it to the 905x (but don't ask when).
              Well done with firmware, and who said it's not the right thing to run firmware from another box.
              If it works Winner
              Cheers

treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Been putting kodi through tests in android dont see many issues that arnt present in some devices. Passthrough always a custom fix. Some like myself like all the bells and trimming that Android offers over open elec. Ect. 😁
                Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kalebroc View Post
                  Hi guys,

Just to give you an update on my Mini M8S II dead box situation - still waiting for a reply from the supplier (I think I'll still be waiting before hell freezes over ) anyway in a bit of desperation this morning I spotted this post: http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...s905x-firmware . The TX3 has a similar spec to the Mini M8S II so I said what the hell, it can't make it any worse - hooked up the box, loaded the USB Burning tool and hey presto the image uploaded, box came back to life and has been up and running for the last few hours, and it's even rooted !!
                  I just tried this on my Mini M8S II and it gets stuck on the MBOX logo during boot. Edit: Nevermind... haha. Just had to wait for at least 5 mins for the initial boot and it came right up. Only issue is that WiFi does not work but I think I can extract the proper drivers from the original firmware. Cheers for sharing this!

Now I just need to figure out a way extract the root package from it to install on the rest of my Mini M8S II's.

Edit: eMMC write speed is severely crippled in this firmware. Original firmware on this device had a write rate of at least 32MB/s, now it's topping out at 11MB/s. I don't think they properly implemented the drivers for the eMMC on these devices.
                  Last edited by atvbca; 08-10-2016, 08:12.

Comment

Hi,

I use a mini keyboard / mouse combo with my boxes, usually the power button on the keyboard locks the device or puts it to sleep so I can wake it again with the keyboard, however with this box it powers off and I either have to pull the plug or use the supplied remote.

Is there anyway of changing the behaviour of the power button soI can do away with the supplied remote ?

Comment

Originally posted by atvbca View Post

Edit: eMMC write speed is severely crippled in this firmware. Original firmware on this device had a write rate of at least 32MB/s, now it's topping out at 11MB/s. I don't think they properly implemented the drivers for the eMMC on these devices.
                      Thanks for the feedback appreciated.. !

Comment

Originally posted by atvbca View Post

Only issue is that WiFi does not work
                        Bluetooth and LAN work ???

Comment

I have the latest official firmware but since the latest update hdmi cec has stopped working am I missing something or has the update disabled hdmi cec ? Thank you

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi,

I've just raised a ticket with GearBest listing the issues I have, maybe they will be able to get something approaching useful out of the supplier, fingers crossed...

Comment

We have asked Gearbest and Geekbuying to provide a IMG firmware link for this device Give them a few days to contact manufacture

Comment

Thanks Scooter, I'm sure an establishment such as this holds a lot more weight than me

Comment

Working...
                                X