Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Khadas Vim TV Box Amlogic S905X Quad-core (One for the Geeks) Now with Android 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mi Box is a single-purpose media box. Its strengths are 1. An excellent implementation of Android TV, pretty much equal in smoothness and snap to the Shield TV. Since the firmware is produced by Google itself, the core systems are solid and updates will be maintained. 2. Netflix in Full HD (the firmware has Widevine Level 1 DRM and the bootloader is locked, so the tight gnomes at Netflix are happy to authorize up to 4K on this box. No other s905x device - and only a handful of other Android boxes - can offer this). 3. A very competent BT remote, with effective voice control. 4. A TV- and remote-friendly interface, thanks to Android TV, that works fluidly in the living room.

The drawbacks are those you mention: in practice, no ethernet means using the single USB port for an ethernet adapter, if you need to. However, the box has AC wifi, which, coupled with a decent router, can be very fast and stable - certainly enough so for streaming 4k streams with no hiccups. With Marshmallow installed, you can use a USB flash drive as adoptive storage, thus getting round the 8gb limitation. My Samsung 64gb Fit works well in that respect.

Not a geekbox, for sure, but an exceptionally competent all-round media streamer at a highly competitive price.
    Last edited by Zahir; 12-31-2016, 04:58.

Comment

Waiting for official Ubuntu release!

Comment

Mine arrived today, will try it out later....

Comment

Good for you...enjoy. Mine seems to have crossed from Europe to somewhere in the US, and is waiting for the New Year mail to start up again before traveling to Florida...@gearbest, what did I ever do to you!

Comment

Here are two pics, device is so small, can't believe everything fits in it, in the size of a credit card.

Tested Android, everything looks so much better, much more smoother than my Amlogic s805 with 1/8, didn't try any videos, Kodi krypton beta came preinstalled, didn't update it to rc or reverted to Jarvis, at least not yet.

I will replace Android with Ubuntu on eMMC in the coming days, i don't know much about Linux, and there are too much cli steps to do, so i'll wait a little.

My first impression is very good, but Linux was the main reason to buy it, i wanted to have a lightweight alternative for basic pc stuff, replacing my Windows machine.

Comment

Yep a fun tiny device should be a lot of fun and a bit of learning on the way..
              Last edited by trebor; 01-02-2017, 23:13.
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor
                Yep a fun tiny device should be a lot of fun and a bit of learning on he way..
                One of the reasons was to learn Linux a little deeper, i want to get much more familiar with cli, i did use Ubuntu, but with gui software whenever i could.

Comment

Just be careful what you say in front of Zahir
                  You will get is soon Zahir dont worry all the best to you and yours
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I hope he will get it soon, i wish you all the best

Comment

I am waiting for some Linux reviews on this board. I am looking for a low powered device running Linux to see how it runs as an Emby or Plex. server. I installed Baibes150 Linux port onto my S905 box a couple of months ago, but that port for my box had issues, so I did not use it long enough to test the Emby server.
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

clarkss12 You may find some things have improved from his earlier versions. Though I don't know if the improvements encompass your issues. Might be worth a look.

That being said, It has not kept me from wanting the VIm. So.....A-T-C....M-I-B

Comment

You're good with other peoples money to good to see RISCy
                          C'mon clarky you know you want to...
                          treboR
                          Please consider
                          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I added disclaimer.--->> "M-I-B"

OPM skills highly developed. Has not helped my budget though.
                            Last edited by RISCy Dude; 01-03-2017, 02:43.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                              clarkss12 You may find some things have improved from his earlier versions. Though I don't know if the improvements encompass your issues. Might be worth a look.

That being said, It has not kept me from wanting the VIm. So.....A-T-C....M-I-B
                              i use your write up to install his Linux, guess I should try it again. And your write up still helps.

thanks.
                              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                You're good with other peoples money to good to see RISCy
                                C'mon clarky you know you want to...
                                I CAN'T HERE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be late, can't spell hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X