Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure then I understood your advise yet right!

I am just wondering why the guy did not leave PCB antenna in there? And Just solder another Connector and use 2 Antennas AS there are 2 solder Points on the board

Comment

Kind of offtopic, but firmware WECHIP V8 firmware can be flashed?

Comment

@Kodiloaded: could you kindly Upload Files again so I can Check polarity. I so have a Wechip V8 with Same Board and would Like to attach external Antenne connector
        Attached Files

Comment

Deleted
          Last edited by soldiaz; 05-24-2018, 16:19.

Comment

I have an A95X which I have been using wired. I'm sending it to a an older relative who isn't 'techy' at all. She will be using the wifi, and I'd like to create as easy a solution as possible with the best wifi connectivity.

This is my board:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	776383

I purchased an antenna and lead from Amazon (2.4GHz only). The antenna set I purchased is this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            The antenna wire leads are NOT bare wire.

***** The current antenna seems to be only using 1 of the solder pads on the board. ***** I've never used the wifi and couldn't even tell you if it works.

So, Questions:

1. Is it really the case that only one pad is used?
            1a If so, can I just solder the entire pigtail end to this same 1 pad?
            2. If not (1/1a), after stripping the wire back, I should be exposing a center core and the wire strands. Which do I solder to which pads?

Appreciate the help - I may be a techy, but my soldering/electrical skills royally stink (OK, worse than that, but why kick myself).

Regards,

Andrew

Comment

I modded one box once and just soldered the antenna to the pad. So 2 antennas were soldered to just 1 pad in the end...

Comment

So you just took the entire end of the pigtail and soldered it down? How did reception work with 2 antenna on same lead?

Andrew

Comment

Well in case I attach an external antenna the signal is better.

I cut off the pigtail connector of course!!!

Comment

Look very closely(with magnification such as a loop or phone app), the antenna lead should be a coaxial cable, usually having a center conductor and shielding conductor. Most likely both conductors are each soldered to their own pad. If you strip back a small section of the new antenna's lead, you will see the two conductors. Cutting outer insulation will expose the shield, inside of the shield will be the insulated center conductor.

The pads on some of these boards can be easy to lift when soldering/de-soldering. Use much care when soldering the conductor to the pads and removing the original lead.....ask me how I know.

Also, because of the conductor's gauge and configuration, it is extremely easy to melt into the center conductor when tinning/soldering the shield, some sort of heatsink will go along way towards preventing this. Small alligator-type aluminum heatsinks are available. I have attempted to use regular alligator clips as a HS before, but results are not great.
                    It should be known that I loath the task of soldering coax, but that just may be me.

In summary,
                    1.) No, this is unlikely the case.
                    1a.) No, also highly unlikely.
                    2.) Yes. ID which pad the center conductor is on now, place new center conductor there, same for shield.

PS, I would suggest removing the PCB from the case before working on the lead, soldering irons just love plastic, it's like a magnet to soldering irons or something.

Comment

Are there different classes of solder used on these devices? The reason I ask is I had a friend try to desolder the current antenna and solder on the new lead (my wife doesn't let me play with things that can burn down the house).

His soldering iron, while hot, wouldn't/didn't melt the sold used to hold the antenna in place (see my first picture).

Any idea what the problem might be?

Anyone here really good at soldering?

Andrew

Comment

there are different types of soldering iron. In EU there is no harzadous material used. This could be the case in China....

Comment

Originally posted by AndyInNYC View Post
                          Are there different classes of solder used on these devices? The reason I ask is I had a friend try to desolder the current antenna and solder on the new lead (my wife doesn't let me play with things that can burn down the house).

His soldering iron, while hot, wouldn't/didn't melt the sold used to hold the antenna in place (see my first picture).

Any idea what the problem might be?

Anyone here really good at soldering?

Andrew
                          Having no idea what the wattage of the soldering iron used was, it would be hard to know if a lack of sufficient heat is the cause.

Generic recommendations would include,... Clean and tinned iron tip, tip in good condition and without pits or irregularities, put small amount of fresh solder on tip of iron just prior to engaging the joint. Also a small amount of flux paste on the joint will help heat conduction a great deal.

Yes there are several types of solder. There is solder designed for electronics and solder designed for plumbing and other non-electronic uses. Never use the non-electronic type for electronics. Electronic solder usually has a flux core, is non-acidic and is available in several temp ranges.

BTW, I f you or the person doing the soldering has not much soldering experience, practice on some discarded electronic item prior to the antenna soldering.
                          Last edited by RISCy Dude; 07-11-2019, 21:08.

Comment

Working...
                          X