Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M96X MAX 4K HDR VP9 TV BOX Android 6.0 Amlogic S905X 2G/16G 802.11b/g/n LAN KODI Bluetooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just notice now your remark that it's running HD only with A6, so this box is pretty useless with whatever OS.

By the way, I lately have a very hard time to find a decent box in the $50 - 60 range, where about a year ago there were several available in that range.

I'm a bit wary of the S912, as I read so many issues with every brand that features this soc.

Any recommendations for a trouble free box in that price range?

Comment

Big Minefield out there,
      Just look at the threads...its more to do with Good firmware, Hardware and ventilation
      If the first two are good Ventilation not a big deal.
      Normally I wont compare or suggest but

At the Moment I like that Iron plus hardware is good, works ok superceleron has a good rom for it, and even the stock was was Ok...S912 few more bucks works well.

Depends on your needs, you have the Amazon Fire TV, Mi Box and many others

Have a good read of a lot of threads something will grab you.
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a read about that Iron +.

Had noticed it already, but didn't pay attention to it.
        I now see they have it is S912 and S905X version as well. Does the S905X get same reviews as the S912 version?

Comment

scooter2014 iid the 905x version I did not look into that one, would have to ask him
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
            [SIZE=14px][FONT=tahoma]Been a bit busy just flashed now as I found the installed a7 is not nice at all....

Sorry to read about your country's Licence rules....
            Part of my shipment got released today, and yes the A7 sucks big time.

I try to flash the firmware the manufacturer sent me, and which you flashed successfully.

I try to flash it with USB burning tool, but as soon as I load the firmware I get the indication Key : mac available : 0

When I then connect the device and start it get to 1% and gives the message get key failed.

Can you tell me how you flashed the firmware?

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

OK, I got the "key failed" issue solved by using a newer version of usb burning tool, and was able to flash the Android 6 firmware.

Here are my experiences, which I think can be useful for other owners of this box and other boxes as well.

On Android 7.1, streaming a live channel on Kodi, the box would reach 84°C within 15 minutes.

At that point the frame rate will drop from 60fps to about 30fps and a minute later to 0fps.

At that point the box will lock up. I have debug logging enabled in Kodi and you will see that the frame rate drops to 0 and the CPU cores freeze.

The only way to exit is unplug the box.

I have an exact same problem with another S905X box

With the Android 6.0 firmware, the box will still get hot, but it takes longer and it stabilizes at 85 - 86°C ( running for 1 hour now)

Frame rate stays rock solid at 60 fps and CPU cores also no abnormal behaviour. CPU runs at ~ 58%

So it is clear that Android 7.1 is the problem with these S905X boxes.

I'm now gonna try to fit a bigger heat sink to see if that can bring down the temperature.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

A question.

Do you think it's safe to continue to run the box at 85°C ?

As I said, I don't see any negative effects, but not sure how long a processor can run at this temperature.

Comment

Update :

So I opened up the box and what I saw there must be the tiniest heat sink I have ever seen in my life.

10 x 10 x 4mm.

I replaced it by a 27 x 27 x 10mm, as that was the biggest I had, and now after running the same Kodi live stream for 1 hour and 20 minutes the temperature stands at 76°C.

So I think mission overheating fix accomplished so far.

@trebor Now I should only be able to find a A6 firmware that runs at 1080p. Any suggestions ? Any suggestions.

In another post you advised that if one is looking for a custom firmware it is important to know what WIFI chip is used.

Does it have to be the exact type number, or is it enough that it supports Realtek in this case?

The Abdul firmware which was earlier suggested seems to be the wrong wifi chip, since Demonpt reported on 25/9 that the wifi didn't work with that firmware
                Last edited by Jancales; 11-07-2017, 13:37.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Firmware as supplied By Jancales

Firmware is 7.1.2

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Can one use beelink mini mxiii firmware with this m96x max? it has many of the same parts and features

Comment

Originally posted by jlleventon View Post
                        Can one use beelink mini mxiii firmware with this m96x max? it has many of the same parts and features
                        Yes you can use but you have to modify the remote configuration and bluetooth.

The latest firmware posted by Trebor works well, you only have to make sure you replace your heat sink, because the factory heat sink is beyond a bad joke.

As long as you can keep operating temperature below 70°C there are no issues, but that is impossible with stock heat sink.

Above that temperature scrolling may become a bit erroneous and installing apps may be slow.

Comment

Thank you!

I saw your post about the heat sink earlier. Just found a huge heat sink from an old computer. I have cut the heat sink down to size and have reassembled. will try this before any firmware doctoring.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jlleventon View Post
                            Thank you!

I saw your post about the heat sink earlier. Just found a huge heat sink from an old computer. I have cut the heat sink down to size and have reassembled. will try this before any firmware doctoring.

Thanks again
                            I use HS 25x25x10, so anything above that should be ok. I think the maximum you can use on that box is 35x60x12.

Comment

the heat sink that I found came from a 2001 Dell desktop.
                              It wasn't the main CPU heat sink with a cooling fan, but it had a tension wire that held it in place on some chip that was on the motherboard.
                              This heat sink was about an 1 inch tall and maybe 2"x2".

After cutting, it is close to 35x35x12mm with the center recessed to accommodate the dimple in the center of the bottom cover so the board could lay flat in the mounting location.

I didn't think that it should short out on any other components (i am a real beginner)

I must have recessed the center too much.

After booting it up and resetting the device multiple times (i had removed the sd card that i has saved as internal storage)
                              i noticed that the heat sink was rattling around inside the device

I used aluminum foil to make up the lost thickness

There is a "reset button" inside the audio jack, but it doesn't function as describes in other box tutorials :/
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Heat sink has to be 100% flat and smooth underneath, otherwise it doesn't make sense

You need to use some thermal silicone adhesive to mount the heat sink. Not thermal grease as is used with PC CPU's.

$1 for 10gr HC-910 on fle**** or similar sites.

Heat sinks same, about $1 - 2 for a 100x40x11 on the same source.

Comment

Working...
                                X