Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X96 Mini TV Box Amlogic S905W + Android 7.1.2 + Quad-core Cortex-A53 + 4K VP9 H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manu_manu4 View Post
    Hello,
    Mine is Build 20171009.10:49, not OTA found.

@scooter2014
    How do you have Ota 20171101_005813 ?

After install SuperSU, i can have root on apps (ES file Explorer)
    If i update binaries, boot loop.

I try W95 firmware (W95_705N0)

It's working, root to.
    But don't update binaries, boot loop.
    I don't try remote, because i have an usb dongle with a remote.
    If remote not working, you must backup /etc/remote.conf before install new firmware

@rusty2k
    I have installed last apk,XposedInstaller_3.1.4.apk

With root you can finish install after launch Xposed apps.

And did you (or someone) arrived to install Android TV on your X96 Mini ?

Comment

Hello. My X96mini freeze after start. I can try reinstall FW, but now always red led.
      Hold reset button but nothing. Still red led.
      I can't go to recovery. Any solution?

Comment

Do you try to reinstall firmware with an usb - usb cable and USB Burning Tool ?

Comment

I just messed up my firmware - I was trying to get Armbian running and I somehow installed it from the sdcard to the emmc - I could get stock recovery but then nothing after resetting.

I found this x96mini firmware but it was branded for the Alfawise but same board https://d1.downlod.me/d/4qdyhh2vkqle...droidPC_es.zip
          I searched google for x96mini Firmware and a few links popped up

inside was this zip p281-ota-root.zip

I had problems with USB as it was looking for the armbian usb - but I have a seagate portable HDD I use for my media placed it on that and had no trouble selecting that zip from the recovery menu.
          after a reboot it is thae same as when I got it out of the box

Yes it has root but I'm not gonna try supersu but some root aps work - like adaway - I think they are just granted root access as needed with no toast messages

Now my challenge is to get armbian working - so far can't get wifi to work Image already added

Comment

Originally posted by MDashK View Post

So, basically, all it must be done is find out the app the activates the root on the device, correct?
            No, you don't need a superuser program with this firmware. The su binary is present in /system/bin and all root requests are granted by default so there is no need to have one unless you would like to have more control over the privilege requests of certain programs.

It took me 2 days to realize what exactly was going on because I've never come across an Android firmware which had the ability to just grant root permission by default. I was under the impression that root access could only be achieved with a combination of an su binary in a system path along with a superuser app to delegate root access. If you want to use SuperSU, the only method I managed to get to work was by just downloading SuperSU from the play store and NOT updating the SU Binary when SuperSU starts up each time. If you update the binary you will end up with a boot loop after restarting the box. If you just ignore the update request each time SuperSU starts, then it will be able to handle the privilege requests but I have found issues with some apps where they fail to detect root. If I don't use a superuser app then those apps that had issues will work fine. The only solution I've managed to come up with for having root and a normal functioning superuser app was to install Kingroot which will report they system as being rooted with issues, then click fix root and use KingUser from that point.

In the end I just decided to reset the device and use it without a superuser app and Its been flawless the entire time. Also, I have the 1GB/8GB variant and I found that if I enable th option to disable background processes from developer options and set the process limit option to 0 then the system performs flawlessly... I took it a step further by using a 64 GB usb drive and adopting 80% of the storage to use as internal storage (done with Root Essentials app from PlayStore) and then I used the app "Swapper" to create a 2GB swap file with the remaining 20% of the USB storage and now this damn thing is performing like its a top of the line product. I highly recommend everyone to try it out if you're having performance issues.!

Comment

Hello everyone, I bought this box, until it is a good box, it lacks in the firmware the bar of the android, someone knows some way to put this bar ?? it clears the applications, the box with some use becomes slow, thanks

Comment

manu_manu4: thanks

How can I unroot this devices I need unrooted device.
                Last edited by josa; 11-19-2017, 13:42.

Comment

Originally posted by josa View Post
                  manu_manu4: thanks

How can I unroot this devices I need unrooted device.
                  Download es file explorer, open it and enable root from the left menu under tools, then go to system then bin and find the file called “su”, delete that file and then restart the box and you’ll be unrooted.

Comment

Jsassu20 thanks...
                    But app still say: Video streaming not available. DRM protected content is not supported on devices with root access.
                    Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by josa
                      Jsassu20 thanks...
                      But app still say: Video streaming not available. DRM protected content is not supported on devices with root access.
                      Any idea?
                      Probably that video streaming app is requesting root and been given it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I unrooted my X96 mini by deleting /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su. Does anyone know how I can root it again?

Comment

Originally posted by Jsassu20 View Post
                          Download es file explorer, open it and enable root from the left menu under tools, then go to system then bin and find the file called “su”, delete that file and then restart the box and you’ll be unrooted.
                          How do you undo this?

Comment

Originally posted by adg View Post
                            I unrooted my X96 mini by deleting /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su. Does anyone know how I can root it again?
                            You're going to have to restore the original firmware or the firmware from another s905w based device. The best firmware I've found was for the Tanix TX3.... Download the November edition of the firmware, and use Amlogic USB tool to flash the firmware. If you are unsure of how to use the tool let me know and I'll be happy to help you. You can also search the internet for the OTA version of the tanix tx3 firmware. Once you find it and download it you should end up with a file that's called p281-ota-root.zip (or something close to that I'm not exactly sure what the exact name is off the top of my head) then all you need to do is take a SD card or USB drive and put that zip file on the root of the device either the SD or the USB the root being the top most directory (when you plug in the device and you first open up the SD card or the USB drive the root will be the area where all other folders are listed on the device if you're still not sure then take a drive or an SD card that you don't need and format it so that there's nothing on it and then just drag the zip file right onto the USB drive or SD card) next unplug the power on your box and take a small pin and insert it into the AV port hole so that you can hit the reset button plug the USB drive into the box and then use the pin to push and hold down that button and keep it held while you plug the Box in then keep holding it until you see the boot screen or whatever the safe bet is to hold it for like 5 seconds after you power it on that will boot you into the recovery mode then from there just wipe the Box clean and then wipe the cache Drive and then go to apply update from EXT and then select the OTA zip that you load it on there in the Box will do the rest.... Let me know if you have trouble

Comment

hi
                              i wanted to install firmware on x96mini. now device looks bricked, i cant turn on device. i get constant red light and cant turn on device. i was updating with sd card. is there any other way to bring back this device back to life.

1st i tried SD method: downloaded these files https://yadi.sk/d/AaNjRSHi3NrjQ5 on microsd card, than boot box with holding reset button (nothing happens)
                              2nd i tried with usb burning tool, plugged usb while holding reset button (device not found)

when Abox is plugged on usb-usb, or directly to power supply, i dont get any picture from box on tv, only red light is on the box
                              Last edited by bedencic; 11-24-2017, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsassu20 View Post

You're going to have to restore the original firmware or the firmware from another s905w based device. The best firmware I've found was for the Tanix TX3.... Download the November edition of the firmware, and use Amlogic USB tool to flash the firmware. If you are unsure of how to use the tool let me know and I'll be happy to help you. You can also search the internet for the OTA version of the tanix tx3 firmware. Once you find it and download it you should end up with a file that's called p281-ota-root.zip (or something close to that I'm not exactly sure what the exact name is off the top of my head) then all you need to do is take a SD card or USB drive and put that zip file on the root of the device either the SD or the USB the root being the top most directory (when you plug in the device and you first open up the SD card or the USB drive the root will be the area where all other folders are listed on the device if you're still not sure then take a drive or an SD card that you don't need and format it so that there's nothing on it and then just drag the zip file right onto the USB drive or SD card) next unplug the power on your box and take a small pin and insert it into the AV port hole so that you can hit the reset button plug the USB drive into the box and then use the pin to push and hold down that button and keep it held while you plug the Box in then keep holding it until you see the boot screen or whatever the safe bet is to hold it for like 5 seconds after you power it on that will boot you into the recovery mode then from there just wipe the Box clean and then wipe the cache Drive and then go to apply update from EXT and then select the OTA zip that you load it on there in the Box will do the rest.... Let me know if you have trouble
                                Hi Jsassu20,

I actually went out to buy a usb-usb cable, and then I came across another thread about using the Wireless Update app, which updated the firmware and rooted the device.

Another question, can anyone recommend a way to create a ".img" of the box including all apps and settings, which can then be use to load onto other boxes?

Comment

Working...
                                X