Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with custom launcher or indentifying and possibly flashing firmware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with custom launcher or indentifying and possibly flashing firmware!

Hi everyone, just found out about this forum so I decided to try and get some help.
    Recently I got a smart box from my cable/internet provider. But it's using their own custom launcher and possibly firmware that heavily limits the usability of it.
    I can't install any apps, browse files etc.

After some google-ing I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/MXQ-Android-A...reviewtap02-20
    It's basically the same box just with different branding on top.
    How could I go about disabling the custom launcher, I can't even browse files to try to install one from the usb flash etc. And there's no option in settings to uninstall this one.
    Or if that's not possible, what firmware should I flash on it to get it back to stock?

Any help is appreciated!

Originally posted by momirsarac View Post
    Hi everyone, just found out about this forum so I decided to try and get some help.
    Recently I got a smart box from my cable/internet provider. But it's using their own custom launcher and possibly firmware that heavily limits the usability of it.
    I can't install any apps, browse files etc.

After some google-ing I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/MXQ-Android-A...reviewtap02-20
    It's basically the same box just with different branding on top.
    How could I go about disabling the custom launcher, I can't even browse files to try to install one from the usb flash etc. And there's no option in settings to uninstall this one.
    Or if that's not possible, what firmware should I flash on it to get it back to stock?

Any help is appreciated!
    Hi ,

try another Launcher , like Nova , Apex or any other Launcher you like ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

try another Launcher , like Nova , Apex or any other Launcher you like ,

greetings / gefattern
      I have experience with android/firmwares etc. but this is the first time I have no idea what to do.
      the first thing I've tried is installing different one just from the apk. But I have no way of installing it. There's no store/file browser, so I can't even try to install apk from the usb flash etc.
      Also, in the installed apps, there is home launcher of some sort but this weird one is launching no matter what I do. There's no clear defaults option for it, I tried disabling it from the app settings, and I can't open the other one from settings/installed apps. So If there's any other way for me to force install that would be great, or just to change whole firmware to something normal.

Comment

Originally posted by momirsarac View Post

I have experience with android/firmwares etc. but this is the first time I have no idea what to do.
        the first thing I've tried is installing different one just from the apk. But I have no way of installing it. There's no store/file browser, so I can't even try to install apk from the usb flash etc.
        Also, in the installed apps, there is home launcher of some sort but this weird one is launching no matter what I do. There's no clear defaults option for it, I tried disabling it from the app settings, and I can't open the other one from settings/installed apps. So If there's any other way for me to force install that would be great, or just to change whole firmware to something normal.
        Hi ,

maybe you can try one of the CustomRoms that exist for S905x , but be careful ,

it must support your Wifichip , ALWAYS ask for compability in the specific Thread ,

you can not install over a Browser online from a Page like APKpure or Aptoide ??? ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

If the OS doesn't have or allow Google Play Store or a web browser (Chrome) then it most likely is completely locked down and will not ever be able to add unsupported content that is pre-selected by the Cable/Internet provider.

Don't flash a Custom ROM, if you flash a custom ROM you may have even more problems, like the device will unregistered itself from your Provider's services and void warranty.

Comment

Hi ,

so why you not ask the Provider ???

gefattern

Comment

• gefattern
              gefattern commented
              Editing a comment
              as always MXQ trash

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
            If the OS doesn't have or allow Google Play Store or a web browser (Chrome) then it most likely is completely locked down and will not ever be able to add unsupported content that is pre-selected by the Cable/Internet provider.

Don't flash a Custom ROM, if you flash a custom ROM you may have even more problems, like the device will unregistered itself from your Provider's services and void warranty.
            I'm not worried about warranty, and I can just install their app from the playstore/apk later,for the tv channels

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
              Hi ,

so why you not ask the Provider ???

gefattern
              I'm pretty sure provider won't help with me installing custom rom etc on their device.

How can I check what WIFI chip it's using? Any other way beside just opening it and checking?

Comment

• gefattern
                gefattern commented
                Editing a comment
                No , not really / remember the DRM rights , if needed for your Provider
            Working...
            X