Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dtb reuse is it possible?

Hi
    the dtb file as i think i understand it is kind of a hardware map for different devices on an android tv box,
    so a given box might have ethernet at one address wifi at another graphics hardware at another.
    each dtb file describes a particular layout and hopefully there will be a layout that matches your device, to some degree.
    if it correctly locates your ethernet and driver required ethernet will work
    if it is incorrect for your wifi then that will not work.

So each operating system comes with a selection of dtb files that may not work at all for a particular box
    Partially work for a box , some devices functional, others not identified correctly.
    Fully working all devices identified and working , complete success.

It would be really nice if you could say dtb A works with AndroidTV box X but for the chinese manufacturers a name is essentially something that sells. If a particular androidTV box is selling there will be half a dozen or so other boxes called the same thing. if you are just using their android build it really doesn't matter, but for putting linux on it does. e.g A95x might be used for 6 different sets of hardware.which is why we have this guessing game to play.
    Hopefully I have this right.

Ok I have a box which was running a 3.14 kernal and it ran great for about 3 years untill something got corrupted when the power went out.
    I found my original image wasn't available and had to pick a new operating system version with a much newer kernel version and i played the dtb game trying to find one which works to some extent. my wifi hardware appears to be missing with my current dtb.

I do have my original dtb which had better support for my hardware is it any good for the new system?
    At a guess the answer is probably no since i think its specifying what drivers to use and these can be called something different in newer kernel versions.

If i am reading that documentation correctly then the dtb file describes the hardware and that is passed to the kernel to assign drivers to it.

However it does not seem to work and the box does not boot.

Comment

The dtb is just the board layout, address ect, wifi also involves drivers, and for alot of wifi chipsets wifi chip firmware, try my custom rom for s905x Boxes

Aidan's Custom Android TV 7.1.2 ROM UPDATED: 10/02/2021 Netflix For Android TV! This is version 7.5 of my Rom, i use this as a daily driver and it is stable, it is CLEAN & NO BLOAT (any included apps are removable), this replaces my previous...

Comment

Working...
      X