No announcement yet.

X96 unbranded firmware with some fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the back should be s ticker identifying it as an Ott TV box.
    If the update script fails to mount the required partitions then I would say the box is not a X96.

Comment

this is the error i'm getting
      Attached Files

Comment

Try installing supercelerons Atv version the m8s one. If you have a x96 it should work fine on it.

forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/634887-rom-mini-m8s-ii-mini-mx3-ii-and-others-scv1a-atv-android-tv
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
          Try installing supercelerons Atv version the m8s one. If you have a x96 it should work fine on it.

forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/634887-rom-mini-m8s-ii-mini-mx3-ii-and-others-scv1a-atv-android-tv
          i made the update as you say here, but my box is stuck (after 1/2 hour) in the loading screen, the one with the black android... any ideas on how to fix it?

Comment

Un plug put back in sometimes does that
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Try this fix then...

Comment

There still seems to be some confusion about what rom t use, how to flash it and why it does not work as planned.
                So, despite all intructions already given I will sum it up again:

It does not matter which of my firmwares you use on a X96 in terms functions - they will all work.
                Some have a status bar, some don't but that's the main difference except for added/removed programs.
                To update the box you only need to unpack the downloaded archive onto an empty SD and boot from there using a toothpick.
                TWRP is included on the SD.
                If you don't know TWRP or how to use it, please check one of the many tutorials about it - it is simple!
                Fake, no fake, different model, different Wifi chipset...
                There is an "official" model somewhere with 1/8GB, the standard is 2/16GB.
                In either case the box should identify itself in the build.prop as a P212 and X96 by Amlogic.
                I left the original updater script untouched for the safety check, so if the firmware refuses to install it usually means you don't have a compatible box!
                If you already flashed a different firmware with the burn tool or by other means I can't tell if it works even if the box is a genuine X96.
                As long as you build.prop has this:
                ro.build.id=MHC19J
                You can assume the box will accept my and OTA updates.
                Of course on 1GB models there is simply no chance to install a 2GB firmware.
                The used image is 1.5GB in size and simply can't be written onto just 1GB - please use the 1GB version instead.

Resons for the update to fail:
                1. A hickup is often causing the update to end right away with an error 7.
                This should indicate the box is not compatible but if it is then simply going back and flashing the image again will fix this.
                So far I was not able to locate the true source for this to happen but it is common thing for many OTA based firmwares in a ZIP archive.
                2. No matter how often you try the update always ends with error 7.
                This shows the box is either not a genuine X96 or that a different firmware was already installed that contained the wrong identifications for a X96.
                Only if you are 100% certain your box is a X96 and has 2GB you can try to remove the first two lines of the updater script to remove the firmware check.
                Be aware that this will make the firmware install even if your hardware is no match - this can result in a brick.
                3. The update starts fine but after a short while it stops with a lot of errors or claims there is not enough space.
                You installed a 2GB firmware on a 1GB model or your box is not a X96 (by hardware).
                4. The update seems to end with no error at all and claimed succes but the box never boots.
                OTA based updates are written in blocks and never as a disk image, except for bootloader, boot and logo.
                They also only cantain what is required to update the box from a previous firmware state, like a factory reset with added extras.
                This means that unlike using the burn tool to flash the partitions directly the OTA requires a correct and working rom base.
                This is defined in the mmcblk partitions, their size and layout plus some other stuff of course.
                For a failed update in this case it means the firmware did install correctly but is unable to find the right mountpoints as they are not what the firmware expected.
                5. All worked fine but there is no WiFi working at all.
                Here you hava a compatible hardware that only uses a different WiFi chipset.
                I included most of the common chipsets in my firmware, at least the driver part, the initilisation in the script needs to be change though.
                There is little I can do to fix this from my end, you can only check what chipset is used and replace the Wifi folder in the firmware with one to match yours - or use ethernet.

Performance issues....
                Your box was working fine before the update but now it is really sluggish and extreme slow to respond?
                This can happen quite often with the naked versions after installing the GAPPS.
                Only other case where this happened to me was after messing too much with Nougat firmwares.
                In either case a fresh install after a full wipe and format fixed it for me.
                For the GAPPS you might need a two step approch if things just won't work out.
                First install firmware and gapps in one go.
                If no gapps available flash again just the gapps without and clearing of cache or other things - just overwrite.
                In some cases the files are written at the first flash but useless, the above will fix that.
                If the box is slow to respond after this procedure try the workaround:
                Install the firmware only and do the normal setup of wifi, screen and so on - do not try to add any accounts!
                Reboot into recovery and install the gapps package.
                Clear the cache before rebooting.
                Do not add a Google account manually but instead start the playstore and wait for it to setup your account.

Why certain other firmwares just won't work on the X96
                You might have tried already to install your favourite rom without knowing that it has a chance to fail.
                That often means you got a box that no longer works and hope my firmware will fix it.
                I tried quite a few firmwares on my box and some even manged to boot, but most did not even do that.
                If you did this like me trough TWRP in the form of an update.zip then any firmware based on the original will fix it.
                However, if you used the flash tool or burncard maker then there is a good chance you partitions are messed up now.
                Dissection a few of these firmwares showed only minor differences for kernal stuff at first glance.
                You know things like modules, rooting and so on.
                A closer look however showed that different mointpoints were used for some or all parttions - this is what causes the real troubles.
                For me it meant the installed (wrong) firmware was unable to work as it could not find the correct partitions.
                On a genuine X96 that had the failed install of an uncompatible firmware through the burn tools it means the update fails when you try to start the box and a check confirms it is not compatible.
                Without this check the boot continues and the box hangs sooner or later.
                In either case the partitions are not matching the installed firmware.
                I can only guess that some are hardcoded as otherwise any firmware for a P212 reference board would would work right away.
                The only way of fixing this is by using the burn tool again and to flash a genuine X96 IMG file - available on the Baidu servers.

I hope this helps to stop the confusion a little bit...

Comment

got it, thanks for the help. apparently I f it up and broke the partitions or something, tried to recover them but not chance, so I'm using it as a paper weight now.

Comment

Not if you have some luck left.
                    Are you certain it is a X96?
                    Because if it is I would suggest to use the burn tool and try to flash a genuine firmware.
                    Worst thing that could happen is that you wasted a bit more time.

Comment

no sure, it said A96X p212 everything looked like if it was.

Comment

Well, there is your answer, you got a A96 but not a X96
                        That means it not only is a different box, but also a totally different processor, Rockchip to be precise.
                        You tried to fit a square through a round hole
                        If I am not fully mistaken then this should help you to get going.
                        But of course there are some models out there using a S905 or S905X chipset, so your best option here would be to open the box and check what is written on the CPU.
                        So only try the linked firmware once you confirmed there is a Rockchip SOC working in your box.

Comment

usb burning tool gives me this error parse burnin image fail

Comment

With what firmware?
                            Some you found somewhere or one that is actually supposed to be for your device?
                            Without knowing what device and chip you really have it is a guessing game to find a match that could work.

Comment

Originally posted by Downunder 35m View Post
                              With what firmware?
                              Some you found somewhere or one that is actually supposed to be for your device?
                              Without knowing what device and chip you really have it is a guessing game to find a match that could work.
                              with the one that you linked me, actually was trying to open the file on usb burning tool. i sent you a PM with pictures of my board and chipset.

clearly i'm a newbi that **** up and i DO APPRECIATE the help that you are giving me

Comment

As said you first need to confirm what box you have, for the above firmware you need the Rockchip drivers and tools, for Amlogic firmwares the Amlogic tools.
                                So I would say the next step is open the thing and to post some images so the experts here can have a look at it.
                                Include some from the outside of the box as well.
                                Might be best to use a new thread for this, something like "Help finding firmware for this box".

Comment

Working...
                                X