Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grimmie View Post
    Thanks Karce I will try the Nano too and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion again from the other chain on the ATV.
    For the Nano Rom, is it close to the ATV Rom, do you know?
    Example, Netflix highest resolution?
    Everything should run with 1080p video.... I just can't speak for anything 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by Karce View Post

Honestly I'm a minimalist, so I would use the NANO and install what you need. The Stock variant has all the extra google apps which I do not need (such as play video, play music, etc) and therefore do not want it possibly running in the background. On boot, I have over 60% free RAM (1.2GB free).

Plus it prevents any possible extra services causing issues.

1 comment
      • #29.1
        Magendanz commented
        09-25-2017, 10:58

Keep in mind that you've got a 2GB system partition, regardless of whether it's filled or not. While the Nano variant is considerably smaller, you don't get to recover that unused space for user storage. And for the most part, these variants run the same underlying services and the additional apps don't take up RAM unless they've being run.

True, however some apps will run in the background and some services will start without even opening applications. I find that less is more, and easier to control. So i chose nano to ensure the smallest footprint for the OS.

Comment

I have the same problems as many others had. After installing the OTA package, my device got stuck and it won't do anything. I have ordered a male to male USB cable so I will be able to try the USB burn method. Just a question, should the sd option be also a good choice for me? And, where's the reset button in our device? Because if I use a toothpick I can't find any button, meaning I can even put it into the device. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by resadent View Post
          ... And, where's the reset button in our device? ...
          http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...688#post660688

I installed the nano from update with zero problems, ensuring to select 'wipe data' I believe is an important factor.
          Post Scrip Edit - not sure if makes any significant difference but I had the ROM zip in the external SD card

Update on root -
          I installed supersu.zip from TWRP and now I get a prompt to allow when each app is selected
          - very straight forward, search for supersu-zip, download it & select 'install' from TWRP and navigate to the file location

In short order, am VERY impressed with this ROM - no 'fluff' and allows you to select your own Apps - everything is running great with it
          I don't use Netflix, but just installed Amazon Prime Video and it looks very good.

As an update from an earlier post I made, addition of external Antenna actually DID improve the WiFi performance, although I'm now using a Powerline Adapter with it.
          Last edited by DEcosse; 09-26-2017, 01:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...688#post660688

I installed the nano from update with zero problems, ensuring to select 'wipe data' I believe is an important factor.

Update on root -
            I installed supersu.zip from TWRP and now I get a prompt to allow when each app is selected
            - very straight forward, search for supersu-zip, download it & select 'install' from TWRP and navigate to the file location

In short order, am VERY impressed with this ROM - no 'fluff' and allows you to select your own Apps - everything is running great with it
            I don't use Netflix, but just installed Amazon Prime Video and it looks very good.

As an update from an earlier post I made, addition of external Antenna actually DID improve the WiFi performance, although I'm now using a Powerline Adapter with it.
            Thank you. I will try tomorrow to reflash it with an sd, and if I have no luck I'll try USB Burning Tool.

I selected "wipe data" before installing the rom, but it changed nothing in the end. Hope I am luckier next time.

Comment

Thank you. I will try tomorrow to reflash it with an sd, and if I have no luck I'll try USB Burning Tool.....
              FYI - See this response from Guest - http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...563#post662563

Maybe restore back to OEM and try again

Comment

Doesn't work on my box. All with the same result.. hung.

Comment

I have the same problems as many others had. After installing the OTA package, my device got stuck and it won't do anything. I have ordered a male to male USB cable so I will be able to try the USB burn method. Just a question, should the sd option be also a good choice for me? And, where's the reset button in our device? Because if I use a toothpick I can't find any button, meaning I can even put it into the device. Thanks!
                  I used male to male USB cable from the start. And the device just hang after update. Dont think the problem is the way you update but what was updated.

Comment

FYI - See this response from Guest - http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...563#post662563

Maybe restore back to OEM and try again
                    For that to work you will need the original OEM ROM. If like me, it's something that I dont have because the original oem rom version 20170829 is not available..

Comment

I know that there was "no update available" for my box (i.e. it was not offering update to take it to the 20170829) - therefor I wonder if there has been a hardware change and that is why the OEM ROM is different (and why the custom ROM is not working?)

Comment

I know that there was "no update available" for my box (i.e. it was not offering update to take it to the 20170829) - therefor I wonder if there has been a hardware change and that is why the OEM ROM is different (and why the custom ROM is not working?)
                        What's your box' current firmware version?

Comment

I have already updated to the Nexus ROM so the OEM firmware version is moot
                          However my order shipped from Geekbuying on 8/22 which clearly pre-dates 8/29 - and I had no OTA update that it found. I certainly did not execute an update.

For that to work you will need the original OEM ROM. If like me, it's something that I dont have because the original oem rom version 20170829 is not available..
                          If we assume for a moment that 8/29 is merely a later revision based on same hardware, there is no reason why you could not flash 08/15 version - it should not HAVE to be same you started with

You might still go ahead and try to flash in the OEM 8/15 ROM (as per the link) - if there is no hardware change, then it should install and you can see where you are from there.
                          If that won't take, then indeed something may have changed

Comment

Hi!!
                            Thanks for this awesome ROM! I have one issue though:

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                            • Recovery from sleep/standby seems to result in a full boot. This seems to be a bug in the underlying OEM firmware.

I am using dual boot with LibreElec starting from SD Card. Every time I click power off button on remote, box shuts down and then recovers with full boot. As a result I get "file system corruption detected" every time when LibreElec is booting. Need to wait 120 seconds and then repair runs, and LibreElec finally boots.

SD card is brand new, 16gb Sandisk Ultra Class 10... So I don't think it is card issue. Rather issue is caused by box not going to sleep mode well, filesystem gets corrupt.

Anybody encountered same issue? Can I avoid it somehow? The full boot is rather painful... Any chance to fix this?

Comment

I have already updated to the Nexus ROM so the OEM firmware version is moot
                              However my order shipped from Geekbuying on 8/22 which clearly pre-dates 8/29 - and I had no OTA update that it found. I certainly did not execute an update.

If we assume for a moment that 8/29 is merely a later revision based on same hardware, there is no reason why you could not flash 08/15 version - it should not HAVE to be same you started with

You might still go ahead and try to flash in the OEM 8/15 ROM (as per the link) - if there is no hardware change, then it should install and you can see where you are from there.
                              If that won't take, then indeed something may have changed
                              You might want to know that two weeks apart and the hardware is different. You can photo from other forum chain.
                              i guess we will have to not assume because the manufacturers or sales companies aren't exactly ISO certified.

Comment

You might want to know that two weeks apart and the hardware is different. You can photo from other forum chain.
                                i guess we will have to not assume because the manufacturers or sales companies aren't exactly ISO certified.
                                Please read my posts carefully - I was actually the first to suggest there MIGHT be a hardware change (but I'm not convinced that the memory chips constitute that) - and what I was suggesting was simply that IF the hardware configuration WAS the same, then installing an older OEM ROM image SHOULD not be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X