Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magendanz commented
    12-25-2018, 14:59

Try this one: http://freaktab.org/bab6c9124f5b63a0

Same OEM images, but an update script that actually checks the build.prop on the system partition rather than the recovery partition. It will also allow you to downgrade.

Just tried this using the SD card method and it installed fine.

However, I have a problem with the "LEFT" navigation key on the remote control, where it randomly "powers off" the box.
    It can happen after one press, or two, or three or more.
    This behavior has been happening all the time, regardless of what software rom I am using.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    (It's the original remote with the blue navigation ring)

Comment

Originally posted by legnosecco View Post
      Magendanz commented
      12-25-2018, 14:59

Try this one: http://freaktab.org/bab6c9124f5b63a0

Same OEM images, but an update script that actually checks the build.prop on the system partition rather than the recovery partition. It will also allow you to downgrade.

Just tried this using the SD card method and it installed fine.

However, I have a problem with the "LEFT" navigation key on the remote control, where it randomly "powers off" the box.
      It can happen after one press, or two, or three or more.
      This behavior has been happening all the time, regardless of what software rom I am using.
      Has anyone else experienced this?
      (It's the original remote with the blue navigation ring)
      Hello.

I have exactly the same issue with my remote.
      Looks like a defective batch of remotes.
      And I think remote mapping is hardcoded somewhere in the bootloader so difficult to modify.

I could remap the remote.conf file to use another old remote from another tv box. But it's not possible to switch the tv box on because remote.conf is loaded on every boot and not hardcoded.
      So I only use the original remote to switch on the box and then the other one (not very practical...).

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by chtikern View Post
        I could remap the remote.conf file to use another old remote from another tv box. But it's not possible to switch the tv box on because remote.conf is loaded on every boot and not hardcoded.
        So I only use the original remote to switch on the box and then the other one (not very practical...).
        I have an old M8S box (S812 kitkat) and would like to use this remote for navigating etc, and original remote for Power ON/OFF.
        Can you please tell me how I can do this?
        I don't mind using two remotes because the LEFT key powering OFF at random is very frustrating.

Comment

I have an old M8S box (S812 kitkat) and would like to use this remote for navigating etc, and original remote for Power ON/OFF.
          Can you please tell me how I can do this?
          I don't mind using two remotes because the LEFT key powering OFF at random is very frustrating.
          This article shows how to configure a remote control with NEC protocol for a Libreelec box with an Amlogic soc. Amlogic.

You have to be rooted and first to Map all the keys of your knew remote.
          The method is to press one Key of your knew remote pointing at your box and then type dmesg -c in an emulator. It will show you a message that includes the code of the Key you pressed.
          Once you have all the codes of all the keys, you have to modify them in the remote.conf file in system/etc.

Seems a bit complicated but in fact not that much.

Good luck.

Comment

This article shows how to configure a remote control with NEC protocol for a Libreelec box with an Amlogic soc. Amlogic.

Thanks for the link...it appears the method is for when using LibreElec.
            I'm using Kodi 18 app installed on the MECOOL desktop.
            I'm also using other apps installed on the desktop like BBC iplayer etc.
            I'm also running the latest MECOOL firmware as stated in post #256 meaning I probably don't have root access.
            So I'm probably on the wrong track trying to use another remote.
            But thanks anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the link...it appears the method is for when using LibreElec.
              I'm using Kodi 18 app installed on the MECOOL desktop.
              I'm also using other apps installed on the desktop like BBC iplayer etc.
              I'm also running the latest MECOOL firmware as stated in post #256 meaning I probably don't have root access.
              So I'm probably on the wrong track trying to use another remote.
              But thanks anyway.
              I understand but you don't need to use the whole method from the Libreelec link I gave you.
              It was just to show you the kind of message you get once you type dmesg -c and where to find the key code 0*aa.
              This key code has then to be replaced in the remote.conf file.
              If you do so for all the keys of your new remote, it will normally work on your stock rom, even without libreelec.

But if you can't be rooted you won't be able to modify remote.conf.

I think mecool firmware are pre-rooted, so if you install a superuser apk it might work.

I flashed magisk on mine (under android tv firmware) and it worked good as I can remember, but I have TWRP installed.

Comment

I think mecool firmware are pre-rooted, so if you install a superuser apk it might work.
                OK thanks...will have a go at doing it and see how I go.

Comment

To all the ones who have problems with NetFlix in MeCool M8S Pro+
                  I found this apk and it works for me!
                  The only problem is you won't see it on the main menu, but only in the App Drawer.
                  So remember to install the app drawer!

Download it from there, no registration needed!!!

netflix.mediaclient-3.9.1_build_4105-4105.zip

I used to have the NetFlix app from the PlayStore, and I tried some NetFlix video tests.
                  None of them has worked for me. I could only watch oldest movies & series: no Breaking Bad, no Narcos, no 4K & HDR. Only HD old movies & series.
                  With this app I managed to watch 4 episodes of Breaking Bad all at once and no freezes.

The only one thing that makes me disappointed is that the video starts in very poor pixelated quality, but in a minute or less it runs in HD or FullHD I suppose.
                  My MeCool M8S Pro+ is attached via LAN to the main fiber router at home, so it should work flawlessly.
                  Unfortunately it's a very old app so there's no menu: that's why I can't access all the tests the new app offers.
                  But after MONTHS of tests, I found it works.

Please let me know if it works for you too!

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, that's because you're running the mobile (non-ATV) version of the Netflix client, which doesn't try to enforce Widevine L1 or the white list.

Changelog (20190213):
                  • Wake from sleep will no longer result in a restart. This was fixed in the underlying OEM firmware.
                  • Updated to latest M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20180806.102424.V0213)
                  • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0 using omni-twrp-8.1 branch and latest OEM kernel
                  • Latest build from Open GApps (20190209)
                  Known Bugs:
                  • Clicking on Vision Settings in the setup wizard will launch an unsupported activity in Settings.
                  • Latest TWRP build doesn't display splash screen.
                  • You can enable the nav bar in Settings->Display->Statusbar, but may need to toggle back and forth before it will show.
                  Download:

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                    Changelog (20190213):
                    • Updated to latest M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20180806.102424.V0213)
                    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0 using omni-twrp-8.1 branch and latest OEM kernel
                    Great man! Looking forward to install it.
                    What's the best way to have a nice and clean installation?
                    How do I enter the TWRP Recovery?
                    Will NetFlix work?

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, you can use the OTA update in the Update app (Settings->About->System Update) and check Wipe Data and Wipe Cache for a clean install. Enter TWRP by typing "reboot recovery" from a terminal window. And Netflix won't work on the ATV version, but the non-ATV app for this build should work in SD. (I haven't tested it yet.)

Last question please:
                    what's the difference between NANO and STOCK variant?

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's listed at the top of the OP. Basically, you just get more Google apps in the Stock variant.

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                    Changelog (20170825):
                    • Updated to latest M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20170815.182813.V0321)
                    • Underlying OEM firmware is now pre-rooted, and so ours is too
                    • Replaced Jack Palevich's Terminal Emulator with Terminal app from LineageOS, tweaking manifest so that it always shows in launcher
                    • Included additional keyboard layouts and kernel modules for USB gamepads
                    • Included full Amlogic burn packages as well as OTA updates
                    • Latest build from Open GApps (20170825)
                    Hi Guest

Would you have a link to the above for the Nano Variant : OTA UPDATE zip file?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Brand new, clean install of 20190213 nano on a Tanix TX3 Mini. Everything appears to work ok, however every version of Spotify that is installed just comes with a black screen when starting Spotify app. Love the Rom but just wanted to report this bug/issue/feature.

Can anyone else confirm this bug?

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just to be clear, this ROM wasn't built for the Tanix TX3 and I haven't tested on that hardware.

Guest Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. Thia thread is for s905x. The tanix tx3 mini has a S905w chip. I should have posted in your other thread for the rom you created for the s905w. The bug above is found on the s905w nano nexus non tv build of this rom. Could you test that build on your s905w and see if it is affected. Apart from that bug, your s905w nano nexus (non tv) works perfect on the tanix tx3 mini. Thanks

Comment

After updating to 20190213 I've got playback problems in YouTube App. 1080p has garbled output in green and purple. Playback in Kodi is just fine.

Does anybody have the same problem (e.g. a software bug) or is my box beginning to die?

Comment

Working...
                      X