Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to go to stock rom because even 720p files was a nigthmare to run. just wondering why with this rom the first time plex was OK with 1080p files and now it's not. :/

Comment

Originally posted by luckyzor View Post
      I don't want to go to stock rom because even 720p files was a nigthmare to run. just wondering why with this rom the first time plex was OK with 1080p files and now it's not. :/
      Sorry, you said earlier that it was working fine on the stock ROM. What do you mean "with this rom the first time plex was OK"? Are you saying that it was okay on M8S_PRO+-V0321_Stock-20170727?

There's some confusion about OEM firmware (what many refer to as "stock ROM") and my Nexus Stock variant (which is based on the Open GApps Stock variant).

The Plex problem could be due to changes made in the underlying OEM firmware from 20170715.093046.V0321 to 20170815.182813.V0321, or it could be a problem introduced by switching from regular Android to Android TV. Since I don't mess with the codecs or A/V policy, it's unlikely to be something that I introduced in the custom ROM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post

Sorry, you said earlier that it was working fine on the stock ROM. What do you mean "with this rom the first time plex was OK"? Are you saying that it was okay on M8S_PRO+-V0321_Stock-20170727?

There's some confusion about OEM firmware (what many refer to as "stock ROM") and my Nexus Stock variant (which is based on the Open GApps Stock variant).

The Plex problem could be due to changes made in the underlying OEM firmware from 20170715.093046.V0321 to 20170815.182813.V0321, or it could be a problem introduced by switching from regular Android to Android TV. Since I don't mess with the codecs or A/V policy, it's unlikely to be something that I introduced in the custom ROM.

In the Stock Rom nothing worked... when i installed via OTA this: M8S_PRO+-V0321_TVStock-20170825 plex worked with 1080p files. now I need to change to 720p or the image stops and the sound continues.

Comment

Just wondering if this box really has reset button inside AV hole.

I tried insert toothpick into the hole but it seems no button at all. Or did I break it already?

Anyway luckyzor I use Plex app too and there are no problem about playing 1080p video. (But on OSD player control the fast forward button doesn't work.)

Comment

Guest - I know you have disabled Bluetooth as the hardware doesn't support it but is there a way to manually add back Bluetooth support for a USB Bluetooth dongle?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm trying, but it's proving more difficult that I'd anticipated. At this point I'm waiting for hardware for testing, since I have no Bluetooth dongles. That said, I'm also trying to use this ROM on the Mini M8S II, which does have Bluetooth hardware and I'm still unable to fully enable the Bluetooth features in Android.

For more history on this, there's a discussion on this forum that starts here: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...11b-g-n/page23

To save you some effort, I've pre-packaged everything that longnt discusses here into one .img file:

So, I've just repackaged this system build with the U2+ Nougat kernel. I've added my latest TWRP recovery for p212 (using the U2+ recovery kernel) and eliminated the MAC keys that required licenses. Note that this system build hasn't yet been customized for p212. Specifically,

- Bluetooth is still disabled (because the M8S PRO+ doesn't have it)
          - Key maps for remote controls need to be updated in the device tree
          - Wireless drivers need to be updated
          - Widevine L1 libs need to be swapped for L3 versions

All that will be forthcoming in a custom ROM for the p212, but this should give folks a head start if they want to live on the bleeding edge.
          Hi,Magendanz, I followed your steps.

1.-install official rom U2 + version 2017-05-10
          2.-install your package so that it can be compatible with mini m8s ii
          3.-start without problems but I can not see netflix at 1080p

Install apk netflix atv error ui-800-3
          Install apk netflix smartphone but only sd quality

sorry for reissue but I have to say that plex does not work to 1080p video with ac3 audio, black screen.

What was my mistake

thanks for your reply.
          Last edited by zipcode; 08-31-2017, 03:12. Reason: error plex

Comment

Originally posted by bajann View Post

how mecool works on tanix rom android 6???
            It does NOT and if you try to install any other ATV ROM except the one Guest is providing for this MECOOL on Page #1 of this thread, expect broken Android TV Netflix and other DRM video streaming Apps which rely on Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x

Simply do NOT do it. You are going to permanently break DRM, like what you see in the previous post.

Comment

It's important to understand that none of the private keys in the TrustZone secure storage (Widevine keybox, HDCP license, Mac address, secure boot set, etc.) are stored in the .img file. While the names are in the device tree (DTB), the actual private keys are generated from separate DLLs placed in the /license folder of the USB Burning Tool. Simply flashing an .img file won't replace those keys unless you check the Overwrite Key option in Configuration. Don't ever do that!! These are set at the factory and are pretty much impossible to replace if you mess with them.

The takeaway here is that I can't build a custom ROM .img file to give your box Widevine L1, and you can only flash a ROM to take it away if you check Overwrite Key.

If someone at the factory gives you the license files (.ini files and DLL) for Widevine L1 or HDCP, you could potentially do it, but often these are hardware-specific and can't be transferred. And ultimately, no one is probably going to be willing to sacrifice their job just so you can play Netflix at 1080p.

Comment

Great Info M !

Simply flashing an .img file won't replace those keys unless you check the Overwrite Key option in Configuration. Don't ever do that!! These are set at the factory and are pretty much impossible to replace if you mess with them.
                It's for this exact reason, guys like WeTek never provide a USB Burning Tool with a dangerous for Newbs - "Overwrite Key" option contained within the app, to use when upgrading Firmware on their Widevine / HDCP 2.2 capable boxes. In fact they will not even allow such discussion on their forums. The risk is too great for mainstream users.
                Last edited by wrxtasy; 08-31-2017, 10:35.

Comment

Guest I found the problem. There are one option in Plex app that must be off. Now everything works great. Thanks alot for this rom hope it will be updated for some years. I have just one last question, how can I see if netflix is HD or not?
                  Please give me the instructions so I can donate something for your work.

​​​​​​@wrxtasy tks to you to about the libreElec dual booting

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to hear! The easiest way to check Netflix resolution is to run the test videos. A text search on "test video" will show them up, and they'll show the current resolution in the upper-right corner. You can also search the logcat for "getConfig OMX_IndexConfigCommonOutputCrop pRect->nWidth=1920, pRect->nHeight=1080".

As for donations, I always appreciate beer money! :-) My PayPal account is just chad(at)magendanz.com.

Originally posted by luckyzor View Post
                  Guest I found the problem. There are one option in Plex app that must be off. Now everything works great.
                  Please report which is the Plex app option that must be off. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by demasiado View Post

Please report which is the Plex app option that must be off. Thank you.
                    In video quality now i have:

Play Smaller Videos at Original Quality - OFF ( before it was ON ) This was making my videos in 720p or less stop working (no video, only sound ) in original quality.

Now in OFF everything works great in Original Quality (tested in 3 different box's with same rom + same plex version )

Don't know if u have the same problem but this solved mine, hope I have helped
                    Last edited by luckyzor; 08-31-2017, 12:53. Reason: forget one thing.

Comment

Magendanz, coffee on it's way, enjoy.
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you!!

Magendanz, i was wondering if there is any auto update built into your custom rom (for the open GApps etc..) or is it possible to manually update to the latest versions?

Also can anyone recommend a compatible voice remote that works with this rom?

Bit of an AndroidTV noob here but really liking your Rom on my Mecool M8S Pro +

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Unfortunately, my favorites are all Bluetooth remotes. Ask me again after I get the Bluetooth dongle support checked in. :-)

Finally got my box but I'm having some trouble burning the image file, I get the android image with a red cross on top. I'm using burn card maker (don't have the usb cables) and following the same process I've used to install custom roms on my GT1 and M8S II, what could I be doing wrong? Do I have to install anything before the .img?

Comment

Working...
                      X