Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffers View Post

so what you ordering now?
    I really dont know. I moved my firetv 4k to my 720p tv and the firestick 2 to my livingroom tv (1080p) because the firestick can't resize the screen and the 4k can. Honestly i think my only options now are a MiBox or a Shield... I need something that uses widevine L1 AND does decent deinterlacing (something the firetv's don't) because I use a HdHomeRUN prime for TV and the android app to watch live tv and interlace issues are an issue with sports.

Comment

just my 2 Cents..
      I´ve got a box from geekbuying with the faulty eMMC . So I decided not to change the ROM. Its used in a room with only 2 channel Sound. FTMC and SPMC are running fine, Youtube ok, Spotify ok. On SD Card Libreelec. All working. Sometimes in Android a restart is needed because 2 Cores stay at 100 %. Absolute no problems with Libreelec. 31 Euro paid and running better than my expensive TV Boxes. So what.. I will use Super Celerons excellent ROMS next time

For German Customers it is hard to get TV Boxes from China atm. because Gearbest and other shops have massive problems with "Germany priority mail". A lot of devices have been catched from Tax Authorities in London. I´m waiting 4 weeks now getting my Mecool KI pro. No clue if I will ever get the box.
      If I would order the Mecool M8S pro + now - then total costs will be in the end at about 50 euro (with DHL incl. Tax and processing fee) on a more secure delivery route. So - wait and see..

Comment

A bit of info:

None of these MECOOL boxes has HDCP 2.2 that is one requirment to get 4K Netflix.
        MECOOL boxes with Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x with the right Android Frameworks in place will get you DD+ 5.1 Audio & 1080p Netflix from the Android TV Netflix App.

The AMLogic S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L also has Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x

At the moment the Pro L does not seem to have Firmware flashing problems that most Samsung 5.1 eMMC M8S Pro+ boxes have, but it is only early days yet and who knows what may happen on the Shenzhen China manufacturing production line next week, when the wind blows from the South instead of from the North.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd lean towards the M8S Pro L right now, but I'd be much more enthusiastic if they hadn't removed the damn reset switch.

Yes, unfortunately LE also hangs after a short time. Its totally useless i'm afraid

Since Geekbuying isn't bothered with replying emails I have made a dispute with Paypal today.

Comment

satkingno this following Post onwards might interest you regarding Geekbuying M8S Pro+ refunds where I had a interesting discussion with scooter2014

Comment

Thanks wrxtasy. I'll look into it

Comment

Hi Friend !

It's a 2GB/16GB, may I suggest that memory gives you options not power. I would never buy a box with less than 2GB of RAM.
              Yes, i agree, cpu is the same. language fault : for me, more memory give me more power to do things with this box
              So better to stay with a 2GB one !

This is the version I purchased:- MECOOL M8S Pro+ TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 - 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM, there are different Mecool M8S boxes around, important detail is the 'Pro Plus', currently selling at around £30, I'd post a link but I may get in trouble, if you google description in blue above you will find suppliers.
              Yep, this is the one i'm tracking since the start of this post (cf. https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html), and i was ready to click on "buy" when faulty eMMC affair occured.
              And now, i'm waiting to be sure to have a box without faulty eMMC

You need to beware of the issues regarding a batch of eMMCs in posts in this thread http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...265#post677265
              Hey ! It's my post !! lol

hopefully they are no longer being sold in new boxes.
              Are you sure ?

Comment

...issues regarding a batch of eMMCs ... hopefully they are no longer being sold in new boxes.
                Can someone confirm me that recent orders of M8S pro+ from gearbest are safe with eMMC ?

Comment

Originally posted by StarDreamer View Post
                  Hi Friend !

Yes, i agree, cpu is the same. language fault : for me, more memory give me more power to do things with this box
                  So better to stay with a 2GB one !

Yep, this is the one i'm tracking since the start of this post (cf. https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html), and i was ready to click on "buy" when faulty eMMC affair occured.
                  And now, i'm waiting to be sure to have a box without faulty eMMC

Hey ! It's my post !! lol

Are you sure ?

Am I sure you won't get a bad eMMC, no there may be some old stock so be careful where you order from, as you are being in your last post :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post
                    satkingno this following Post onwards might interest you regarding Geekbuying M8S Pro+ refunds where I had a interesting discussion with scooter2014

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...424#post677424
                    wrxtasy,

I have the bad chip in my Mecool M8S Pro+ which isn't causing me any major issues so far.

However, one issue I have with this box versus my other boxes is that if I have MediaCodec (Surface) switched off I get audio but no video when I stream anything, such as BBC1 channel on iPlayer.

On Mecool MediaCodec (Surface) 'on' audio and video OK. MediaCodec (Surface) 'off' audio no video.

Have you experienced this?

On my other boxes MediaCodec (Surface) 'off' audio and video OK.

The problem it causes me is that I have a TV Guide addon that only displays correctly (when returning to the guide) with MediaCodec (Surface) switched off.

In all cases MediaCodec is 'on'

Comment

Honestly no idea.

I do not use Android Kodi or FTMC - that is what Dual Boot - LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is for - and ethernet/LAN connected LibreELEC Krypton is far better than anything Android Kodi has to offer.

You have to open up your box and look at the chips to see if you likely got a "good one" or "bad one" and refer to page #1 of this thread for the problem eMMC stamped chip labels and numbers that very likely came with the bad boxes.

I'm longer getting involved in M8S Pro+ boxes that do not work properly after Android Firmware flashing. Seek a refund from the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post
                        Honestly no idea.

I do not use Android Kodi or FTMC - that is what Dual Boot - LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is for - and ethernet/LAN connected LibreELEC Krypton is far better than anything Android Kodi has to offer.

You have to open up your box and look at the chips to see if you likely got a "good one" or "bad one" and refer to page #1 of this thread for the problem eMMC stamped chip labels and numbers that very likely came with the bad boxes.

I'm longer getting involved in M8S Pro+ boxes that do not work properly after Android Firmware flashing. Seek a refund from the seller.
                        Thanks for response, here's a pic of my eMMC:-

Will I be able to run LibreELEC from SDCard on my box without any issue/s?

If I do not try to flash any firmware to the box, will it run OK?

I have contacted my supplier regarding refund/replacement and await their response.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to share my experience regarding this faulty eMMC.

I got 2 of my boxes on the same day when this issue first appeared on this forum. I saw the post of first failure and opened my box to find the same faulty Samsung eMMC. I have my box with SEC 713 series chip with 20170829 firmware. To try my luck out, I tried flashing ATV OTA package.
                          >I saw the procedure as keep pressing reset button on power on to go to recovery, but since my box was pre-rooted, I just downloaded advanced reboot from play store and used it to boot to recovery.
                          >There I wiped user data and flashed ATV OTA posted on first post.
                          >The flash completed with no erros and I rebooted from recovery just to found Nexus logo hung stage. It was there for good 10-15 mins without any activity.
                          >I understood that I got my box corrupted and since it was on 29 Aug firmware, I got to know that it will not recover.

Since I had nothing more to loose, I tried playing with SD burn method for both ATV image and original firmware from Aug 29.

>I renamed ATV image to a shorter name ms.img as suggested by some gentleman here and used SD card burn method to try my luck.
                          >I also observed that I don't need to press any key, as if I have sd card in the slot and I power on the box, it automatically takes up the flash process and starts with Android updating logo.
                          >It works either for first 10-15% or last 90% before failing with Android logo with red cross.
                          >Since I was too lazy to get a USB A male to male cable, I kept my two sd card with these two images, one ATV and one original Aug 29 firmware burned usind SD card burner with multiple options set.
                          > What I observed with options that if I select erase in normal state only and don't select format partition and erase bootloader, I usually ends up with Android red cross logo on initial 10-155 only.
                          >Then I tried ATV image with smaller name, checked all options in sd card burner program with erase in force, and the update completed successfully, and rebooted with nexus logo.
                          >I waited for next 10 mins but with no success. Then I thought doing same with original firmware.
                          >Burned original Aug 29 firmware the same way, and tried it 3-4 times but it never completed.
                          >Then after 2 hours gap, I tried it again and on 2nd attempt it flashed successfully and booted back with Meecool logo and after 5 mins, came up with initial setup.

I hope this helps some of you who are stuck with this box with faulty chip. Also it's working fine now, with no lag observed from last 3-4 hours and DRM showing as Widevine L1 key installed.

Comment

Thanks Guest I have box with Kingston EMMC (firmware 14.09). I install Nexus TV Stock and everything works. Big thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kml View Post
                              Another one ordered on Banggood - they have some promo now - $38.99. Keep your fingers crossed!
                              The ones from banggood are fine. I received 3 from their anniversary sale, all upgrade fine using SD card update method.

Comment

Working...
                              X