Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed SLOW WIFI on my X96 Mini (Probably on other S905W devices as well)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed SLOW WIFI on my X96 Mini (Probably on other S905W devices as well)!

IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY JUST GO TO THE END OF THE POST, THERE IS SO MUCH BLAH BLAH WRITTEN IN HERE

Hello, two days ago I bought this great little thing that is X96 Mini 2GB 16GB
    I had everything ready and installed but there was this one little yet huge problem which was the slow internet speed
    I have 4 Mbps internet but I always got at best results 1.2 Mbps on X96 Mini
    on all other devices I got the full 4Mbps so I after a LOOOONG and boring search though the internet I came up with the solution (finally)

I use D-Link 2740U 300Mbps
    keep in mind the things that I tried and DID NOT work for me:
    1) I updated the firmware to the latest stock version (OTA) which is 20180512.
    2) I flashed a custom ROM which is atvXperience by NayamAmarshe, (if you don't know about it yet then go check it out, it made everything better and faster (EVERYTHING) and I thank him for his great work) but unfortunately it didn't solve my main problem.
    3) I heard that changing the encryption type on my wifi router settings from Mixed (TKIP+AES) to AES only would solve the issue, tried that.. it was temporarily solved (30 mins) then it was back just like before.

one of the things that helped me find the solution was this, when I send something through the router to the device the speed did not pass 1.4 Mbps.. when I send something DIRECTLY the speed was normal (20 Mbps or even more)
    so the key thing is in the router settings, nothing is wrong on the devices side
    I started playing with the router settings till I finally finally GOT TO THE POINT

THE SOLUTION IS:
    you need to change the WiFI Band from 2.4 Ghz (B+G+N) To 2.4 Ghz (B) OR 2.4 Ghz (B+G)

after changing this setting I was able to get my full router speed at all times no matter how far the device is from the router (6 meters is the distance that I am dealing with)
    the problem is that the N stands for newer bands which is okay and supported in most devices but not totally on X96 mini, so when the router detects that a device is using an older band, it kinda sets the priority to the newer devices (that's what I understood from a small article explaining the difference among these bands)
    anyways I am very happy to see my X96 Mini buffering 1080p YouTube videos without a glitch (yes atvXperienve gives you 1080p YouTube playback) and I wanted to share my Xperience with you
    have a good day.. Bye

Well Dr is this still working for you?

Comment

Working...
    X