MECOOL KM9 Pro Classic Google Certificated Voice Control Android TV Box 2/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uscool View Post

doubt it will be fixes the KM8 had the same issue and was never fixed no idea how it gets past quality control for mass production
    They are now giving me three options by the warranty: To refund the money to Gearbest wallet, to refund the money to my credit card or ship another device for free, I'll definitely take the second option XD.

Comment

Originally posted by delacosta78 View Post

They are now giving me three options by the warranty: To refund the money to Gearbest wallet, to refund the money to my credit card or ship another device for free, I'll definitely take the second option XD.
      Thats great I should have done that , I gave mine away now

Comment

Here's the firmware they sent me, it may be useful to any of you, I'll never buy Mecool devices again if they continue with that WiFi issue:
        https://mega.nz/#F!9N5UGQBB!iQrU3BwjVneL93A8ffShoQ
        The Wifi issue is all due to a low quality budget WiFi chip that is in this device, compared to the Mecool KM3 which has an Ampak MIMO 2T2R wifi module and it gets great WiFi performance. So to be safe in future buys always make sure the device has WiFi band AC because then you know chip is more a modern chip release and not old release with N band and lower. Another buying tip is look for MIMO or 2T2R in the device specs which is 2 Transmitters and 2 Receivers antenna. Or just wait for Trebor or someone else on FreakTab to do a full Tear-down review where you can see the Wifi Chip and then reference it on Google search to find its specs so you can make intelligent decision about buying that device.

This device has an Ampak WiFi module, the only Ampak modules that perform great are the ones with MIMO 2T2R, which are the AP6356/S/SD and AP6359SA.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

The Wifi issue is all due to a low quality budget WiFi chip that is in this device, compared to the Mecool KM3 which has an Ampak MIMO 2T2R wifi module and it gets great WiFi performance. So to be safe in future buys always make sure the device has WiFi band AC because then you know chip is more a modern chip release and not old release with N band and lower. Another buying tip is look for MIMO or 2T2R in the device specs which is 2 Transmitters and 2 Receivers antenna. Or just wait for Trebor or someone else on FreakTab to do a full Tear-down review where you can see the Wifi Chip and then reference it on Google search to find its specs so you can make intelligent decision about buying that device.

This device has an Ampak WiFi module, the only Ampak modules that perform great are the ones with MIMO 2T2R, which are the AP6356/S/SD and AP6359SA.
          Trebor posted this earlier in this thread

MECOOL KM9 Pro Classic Google Certificated Voice Control Android TV Box (https://www.gearbest.com/448243601-_gear?lkid=38595802) https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2019/05/27/1558949834672812.jpg MECOOL KM9 Pro Classic Google Certificated Voice Control Android TV Box (https://www.gearbest.com/448243601

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

That is not an excuse, otherwise why do they release such a "low quality budget WiFi chip" in the first place if people is going to complain about it and the seller or reseller to start refunding money like Gearbest did with me? it doesn't make sense, they are losing money with this, a fix must exist, it's just they (Videostrong) don't seem to care to provide a good product, period.

Comment

Originally posted by uscool View Post

Trebor posted this earlier in this thread

MECOOL KM9 Pro Classic Google Certificated Voice Control Android TV Box (https://www.gearbest.com/448243601-_gear?lkid=38595802) https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2019/05/27/1558949834672812.jpg MECOOL KM9 Pro Classic Google Certificated Voice Control Android TV Box (https://www.gearbest.com/448243601

https://i.imgur.com/qY43qfP.png
              That's the real head-scratcher for me. How is it that Trebor's reference box for review had decent Wifi but the boxes we received were sooo poor?

Comment

Hi all, I'm expering issue with passthru audio via HDMI
                Before was not working at all, now is working but during the film from time to time it stop for 2 3 second then work again.
                That's for both kodi and Plex
                Any suggestion?
                Any chance to have a new firmware ( my box already came with the one posted here).

Comment

I run an experiment by connecting the KM9 through an ethernet cable to a TP-Link extender, turns out the internet speed was equally slow as using the internal WiFi.

When I connect the device directly to my router using the same ethernet cable the internet speed is fast and stable but I don't understand why using the extender I didn't get at lest an acceptable speed, the extender had an strong WiFi signal from my main router so that couldn't be the reason.

However, I run a speed test using Analiti app and I got the full down/up internet speed exactly as when the device is connected directly to the router but using apps like YouTube I get poor speed measures like the attached screenshot, which says the quality is 1920x1080 but it goes very quickly to a low resolution.

Looks like this problem is not related to the WiFi chip inside this device but perhaps the Android TV firmware not optimized to handle a WiFi signal?

Why the speed wasn't fast enough if I was using an ethernet connection from an extender with a strong signal strength?

Click image for larger version  Name:	speed.png Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	784293

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190920-205841.png Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	784294

Comment

I run an experiment by connecting the KM9 through an ethernet cable to a TP-Link extender, turns out the internet speed was equally slow as using the internal WiFi.
                    When I connect the device directly to my router using the same ethernet cable the internet speed is fast and stable but I don't understand why using the extender I didn't get at lest an acceptable speed, the extender had an strong WiFi signal from my main router so that couldn't be the reason.
                    However, I run a speed test using Analiti app and I got the full down/up internet speed exactly as when the device is connected directly to the router but using apps like YouTube I get poor speed measures like the attached screenshot, which says the quality is 1920x1080 but it goes very quickly to a low resolution.
                    Looks like this problem is not related to the WiFi chip inside this device but perhaps the Android TV firmware not optimized to handle a WiFi signal?
                    Why the speed wasn't fast enough if I was using an ethernet connection from an extender with a strong signal strength?
                    Click image for larger version Name:	speed.png Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	784293
                    In your example of YouTube, that is normal performance and actually good because of No Dropped Frames, you highlight "Connection Speed" which is Not your WiFi speed like what Analiti shows you. The 'Connection Speed' displayed in YouTube is reference to your bitrate, the amount of data needed to transmit the video file for playback per second, for a standard 1080p file the bitrate of 1313 kbps is normal.

Comment

The 'Connection Speed' displayed in YouTube is reference to your bitrate
                      I know, but how can I explain?, when I start watching a video using the ethernet cable, the "Connection Speed" always reflects my average download internet speed, for example "7325 Kbps" or "8133 Kbps" but using the WiFi connection it never rises above 1500 Kbps, the screenshot was taking a few seconds after the video started to play but after a minute or less it quickly goes down to for example 333 Kbps and the video quality also goes down from 1920x1080 to for example 380p and it never gets better.

I'm going to test other apps to see what happens because I'm starting to believe the YouTube app is failing to work with the WiFi, I'll reply with the results.

Comment

I was doing the speed test with Analiti the wrong way, it was set as default to "Multi-Server HTTP" method but I switched it to NDT (Single TCP connection) and the real speed test result shows a very slow download speed of 2 Mbps out of 8 Mbps by using the TP-Link extender!?.

I really want to understand why the speed test is so slow by using the extender connected to the main router wirelessly and the KM9 connected to the extender by an ethernet cable, it shouldn't be that slow considering the KM9 is operating as it was connected directly to the main router by the ethernet cable since it's not using its internal WiFi chip.
                        Last edited by delacosta78; 09-30-2019, 02:35.

Comment

I borrowed a D-Link router from a friend and set it up as a wireless repeater, I connected the KM9 to any of the ethernet ports and made more tests:

1) Using YouTube, at first it gave my maximum download internet speed (8Mbps):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot # 1.png Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	784922

2) But then it went down and it's stuck in this quality, it doesn't go faster than 3Mbps:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot # 2.png Views:	0 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	784923

3) Using analiti, the average download and upload speed was similar to the second test using the TP-Link extender:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot # 3.png Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	784924

It's pretty obvious the problem is not the WiFi chip inside this device as other people claim but the Pie firmware not optimized to work with WiFi connections of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by alessiopcasa View Post
                            Hi all, I'm expering issue with passthru audio via HDMI
                            Before was not working at all, now is working but during the film from time to time it stop for 2 3 second then work again.
                            That's for both kodi and Plex
                            Any suggestion?
                            Any chance to have a new firmware ( my box already came with the one posted here).

This device doesn't have Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus downmixing to stereo (Aka Dolby Audio), it only supports Passthrough, that's the reason why (at least in my case) I don't have audio at all with Plex and other apps using those codecs, DTS is the same story, I haven't test Kodi but I assume it's the same problem.

Comment

This device doesn't have Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus downmixing to stereo (Aka Dolby Audio), it only supports Passthrough, that's the reason why (at least in my case) I don't have audio at all with Plex and other apps using those codecs, DTS is the same story, I haven't test Kodi but I assume it's the same problem.
                              My issue is with the Passthrough that is not stable and from time to time stop sending audio for a couple of seconds

Comment

Originally posted by alessiopcasa View Post

My issue is with the Passthrough that is not stable and from time to time stop sending audio for a couple of seconds
                                Oh, I see, it could be also a problem with apps since Pie is just starting to arrive to the other boxes and maybe developers are just testing it, we have to give it some time to see if they fix the issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X