No announcement yet.

Latest nightlies of CoreELEC are compatible with S905X3 devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ones that came to me asking if i knew anything pointed me to this post as i no longer CE because of its commercial interests so do your own reading and interpretation...

hxxps://discourse.coreelec.org/t/a95x-f3-supported-s905x3/8928/8

adams qoute... Even if there was a precompiled driver then we would not use it, we only include drivers that we can compile as whenever we make changes to the kernel then precompiled drivers immediately become unusable.
    Return your device and get one with a supported WiFi chip.

My interpretation of his statement is that even if the driver exists (which it actually does in a round about way) that he is saying they have no interest...

Not here to argue but simply state whats going on with the LE forks when it comes to running Linux on the device... no more, no less...

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmarshall View Post
      The ones that came to me asking if i knew anything pointed me to this post as i no longer CE because of its commercial interests so do your own reading and interpretation...

hxxps://discourse.coreelec.org/t/a95x-f3-supported-s905x3/8928/8

adams qoute... Even if there was a precompiled driver then we would not use it, we only include drivers that we can compile as whenever we make changes to the kernel then precompiled drivers immediately become unusable.
      Return your device and get one with a supported WiFi chip.

My interpretation of his statement is that even if the driver exists (which it actually does in a round about way) that he is saying they have no interest...

Not here to argue but simply state whats going on with the LE forks when it comes to running Linux on the device... no more, no less...
      It is not an interpretation, it is a fact.

As you quote "Even if there was a precompiled driver" as in there is not one.

Adam also stated "There is no way to use ‘closed source’ drivers"

If there was one and it was requested (as has been done many times with other available open source drivers) then it would be included.

The question was asked way before your stated post anyway with regards to the A95X Max box, where it was discovered that no open source driver available.

It cannot be included in LE or CE versions until the manufacturer provides an appropriate driver, which seems unlikely.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

this is the problem when a couple of guys that happen to think they know everything start making ludicrous statements like can't and won't...

Just where did Adam come up with the fact that they are closed source drivers?

Following some of the appropriate mail-logs don't really suggest that, and just because they were asked and never directly answered doesn't mean it can't be done either as a lot of times it takes awhile because it costs the manufacturer time and money to properly format and get approval on up streaming things without any of that being really indicative of where the maker will allow or condone it. The fact that there are various sources of the sources/bins floating around the open network would suggest its not a problem.

Personally i think Adam just said this as he's not interested in looking into it as its probably not used by anything if the mainstream devices CE is currently supporting which is fine and i get it, but then just say so and not make some "there is no way" statement...

And if what you say about LE or CE not being able to use it because of the vendor not providing it, then how did everyone get around the gpu blobs using the libhybris thing, afterall NONE of the gpu blobs being used on Linux via the hybris wrapper would be any different. Amlogic and Rockchip did not provide those blobs for us to use on Linux yet here we are now for a couple of years without any crap from the manufacturer OR any of the LE and CE forks from using them. LE position on this i get as its really about trying to get everything into the proper formats and stages to get and keep getting accepted in the upstream pushes... CE is not going in that direction and based on the way things have gone would quess that if there was a publicly available driver they would include it just like they do on everything else.

Up till know no one seems to have a problem using blobs NOT provided by the owners for the purposes we are currently using them for so i see this as being not any different.

Anyways take it as you wish its of no concern to me and i really originally only posted to point out that NONE of the LE or forks actually have a x3 specific build and anyone looking at buying a x3 device to run these Linux based OS's on just to be aware of it for now and hopefully it will get fixed in the future...

Not interested in arguing or debating the subject as i can already see how things are going so the mice can follow the piper or use their common sense and think for themselves but either way i will leave it alone as its not worth wasting peoples time.

Comment

Adam didn't have to come up with the fact that they are closed source drivers.

They just are because the manufacturer has not released any.

Furthermore, simply researching for drivers will often reveal that they are only available for certain platforms.

A fact is just that, a fact and until that changes, then nobody can add them to be supported.

If you can find them then tell the CE team and they are almost always happy to add them.

Or contact the manufacturer to request drivers, which is highly unlikely if they are not supporting open source out of the box.

It really is very simple, with zero ambiguity.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmarshall View Post

And the one's that know you, are here to say you are a know all troll.

You were kicked out of the CE forum as you could not control your long winded keyboard garbage posting. .

You should take your trolling to an appropriate platform like Twitter where you belong.

Comment

The coreelec default is auto update. The 15th Feb update has crap scraping compared to the 14th. In the end I reinstalled the 14th, with the lan cable removed. I changed the Coreelec Default to Manual updates, and plugged in the lan cable. It asks if i want a newer build on boot, but i reject it.
              I will stick with the 14th Feb until Stable has support for 905x3.

Comment

Originally posted by jer1956 View Post
                The coreelec default is auto update. The 15th Feb update has crap scraping compared to the 14th. In the end I reinstalled the 14th, with the lan cable removed. I changed the Coreelec Default to Manual updates, and plugged in the lan cable. It asks if i want a newer build on boot, but i reject it.
                I will stick with the 14th Feb until Stable has support for 905x3.
                If you don't report problems in nightlies you may find out that they'll be present in stable version. Please report any findings in CoreELEC forum so they can be taken care of.

Comment

MT7668 WiFi support is now active as of yesterdays nightly, so Adam has worked his magic.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck installing this on S10 Max (generic S905X3 box)? I tried install on SD card with various device trees but got a bootloop. Maybe I did something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X