Poll: Any new S905x4 buyers for 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Any new S905x4 buyers for 2021?

After my 3+ year old v6 H96 pro plus took a dive. I found myself buying an x4 as of recent. Being fairly new, nobody has any clue to issues that may be yet to be discovered. Seeing a few low cost late 2020 boxes, I had to jump on the more expensive of the low cost options. Right now the KM6 Deluxe seems like a winner, for the most bang for the buck, just waiting on my delivery. Not to compare just see where our members are headed on their next round of purchases.

Please state what box recently purchased, or are waiting for. If you have insider knowlege on later in the year release, please share... and no imaginary boxes that you may be wishing for.
    Waiting for end of year deals
    25.00%
    Happy with the S905x3 box I already own
    25.00%
    Still looking for more options
    12.50%
    Still waiting on my shipment
    37.50%

My box is just leaving Los Angeles, so it should be here in 3 days. Yippee! Mwhahahahahahahaha! ?

Comment

I look forward to Netflix support for the Mecool KM6 Deluxe Edition. (4K or 1080p)
      CoreELEC support would also be good. (S905X4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope dies last.

CoreELEC 4K or 1080p would also be a step forward. (CoreELEC support + KODI 19 + Netflix Plugin for Kodi)
      Last edited by Leoben; 01-24-2021, 14:54.

Comment

• mo123
        mo123 commented
        Editing a comment
        It doesn't support Netflix.
        Netflix Certified devices need to have an app button on the remote.
        Where did you get that idea?

About Netflix, wife has the cheap plan. Oddly when I used the late December beta phone app on my H96 pro plus, the image quality looked 1080. Though many state you get non hd only. So you may give that a try. I no longer have my box operational, so I can't test any further. Thus my move to the new box. From what I gather Android 10 and L1 DRM, is worth more than the $35 lesser cost on the cheaper boxes. Plus the cheaper boxes usually have buggy phone os not true Android TV. Usually takes a year for developers to tweak and fix the standard os on new devices. Crossing fingers, ATV is smooth and trouble free on the Mecool box. One thing, if Peacock tv works, I know there is no issues for me. Though I may have to use my tweaked build.prop for all tv and phone apps to show on ATV playstore. Some times I have to be careful, as the phone apps overtake the atv apps when picked. Namely Google Keyboard, Fox Sports (USA) and ABC Iview (Austrailia),

Comment

Dhl.com finally released my KM6 Deluxe, so I should have it in two days from USPS. Yay!

Comment

S905Y4...

TV Sticks also runs on Android TV 10 and is (or may have) Netflix & Prime Video certified...
          SDMC DV6071Z / SEI Robotics SEI450 TV Dongle Specification:
          • SoC – Amlogic S905Y4 quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A35 processor
          • GPU – Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
          • Memory – 2GB DDR (4GB optional)
          • Storage – 8GB eMMC flash (16GB optional)
          • Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4Kp60 with HDCP 2.3, HDR (HDR10, HLG, etc..)
          • Video decoding
            • AV1 MP-10 4Kx2K @ 60fps
            • H.265 HEVC MP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
            • VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
            • H.264 AVC HP up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
          • Connectivity – Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.2 or higher
          • DRM – Widevine, Playready, Verimatrix (Optional)
          • Misc – Reset pinhole, LED indicator
          • Power Supply – 5V/1.5A via Micro USB port

More details on the above Android HDMI TV Dongles can be found on their product pages: SDMC DV6071Z / SEI Robotics SEI450.

Comment

Well I did not expect to make this thread all inclusive to both dongles and boxes. They are two different animals. I am surprised you have not posted about the SDMC box, which is more comparable to the KM6 Deluxe. Both are like hardware just different manufacturers. I could not find the SDMC box for sale, just tech talk for their latest release. Was hoping for some insiders, to share their take on boxes if not going with Mecool KM6 Deluxe box. I am sure there will be many Google certified boxes with 10 or 11 soon, just this one is hard to beat considering cheap boxes don't have the latest tech outside of the cpu. Would love to see basic builder box, with support for pcie 3.0 m.2, for plugging in NVME sticks. Right now I get maxed out on pcie 3 m.2 with a Samsung 980 Pro running half bandwidth. No heat issues as it runs much cooler than the 970 Evo Plus. Then all we need is LDDRX modules to plug in for user expandable ram. Make one box fit all, by user customization. Simple less costs and makes more want to buy.

Comment

I got my KM6 Deluxe in. Messed with it using various phone apps and ATV apps. Pretty solid, though I have found a weak bug or two with Google Keyboard ATV. May go back to using phone version.

one thing I did was remove the funky silicone that attached to the thin heat sink to the S905x4. Going to mod a taller more robust heat sink that clears the components, and can be enclosed in the box.

No heat issues as of yet, but modding, is minimal for now, until warranty is done.

Peacock TV will not load, as expected. I don't think Peacock will ever run. It's been that way since it's release. NBC apps suck hind tit anyway.

NETFLIX is unavailable, but the beta phone app works just fine. Though we are on the El-cheap-o plan. Looks good but I am not expecting 4k.

now for the weekend issues... apps that are pre loaded. Most you can freeze or remove, but I assume odd system apps are for proper Ota update installations. Too soon to verify on OTA update is hindered in freezing. I have yet to root. I like to get a feel for non rooted operation as to see how Magisk effects it. Like older versions play so much better on my devices.

also they changed the size of the plug... to the smaller barrel, now I must mod my heavy duty 3.5A power supply to use the end, on their wall wart that is supplied.

I installed my fly mouse with keyboard without any issues, though if you want to flash the box with a custom build, you need to set otb within the developer menu. Else no otb function. Beware, leaving it on may effect the USB function.

For my wishes for additions... DTS options in Audio settings, ability to adjust the led function, bring back the ability to change resolution in developer menu, add any missing Droid settings not baked into the Advanced settings.

so far I am running my 1g LAN connection and ac WiFi just fine without any issues. CEC works well too.
              TV puts the box to sleep when I turn it off, and box switches input when woke. Box does not wake TV, no mater how I configure CEC, unlike my Blu-ray player, which works perfectly to wake TV when powered on, and TV powers off the player in return. So I guess some CEC functions on the box have been missed with older Samsung devices with AnyNet+.

The box has a nice sleep function. It steps down what goes to sleep. System sleeps, then minimal sleep on USB, then full sleep on USB with heart beat. My USB SDcard reader is good for showing what power state is going on with the box, through the USB channel.

Anyway, I am not doing a full review, as there are plenty who have already made them. Just my heads up on first impressions with the box operation. From the past 2 other boxes I have owned, this one is super smooth right out of the box.

Comment

For some odd reason my final reply on this thread is marked unapproved. I had this issue long ago, and it's now returned. Seems like it has something to do as to how many words I type. I hope this can be cleared up, as I am too lazy to retype and clear up the formatting to correct what causes the unapproved tag on my reply. Anywho, the box does not disappoint, a wee bug with Google ATV keyboard, but that's a Google thang.

can't wait to burn this puppy in nice and well before I root, and do some after expiration date mods with dual external antenna connections, and move them out of the way of BT antenna.

found a deep sleep mode, maybe not... instead of led off it is a dim red. Still with USB heart beat. My thumb drive SDcard reader is a nice visual addition to noticing the sleep cycle on USB. May have to use black tape to cover the box led, as it its annoying, when box is awake and functioning.

it's not perfect, but it's very very close to being there. I assume, the big move will be Android 11, which being a tech myself, won't find any real benefit until the platform is well established. I prefer the bug free life more than lifting my skirt to prove what ever.

I guess many will be a wee unimpressed by the lack of USB ports. With USB3, and a good hub there should not be much cause for limitations. I am pleased as punch to have both 1g LAN, and ac WiFi functioning together. Don't play games, so game controllers are not used. I do have a fully functional BBC iPlayer for Nvidia Shield TV. Which worked fine on a tablet using lean back permissions, and digitizer touch input. Though to use a Shield TV controller would be required on this box for its function.

I am greatly due to root and configure this box for Sony XBR spoofing, it may lift some play apps from being blocked. Though they would be ATV related. AURORA is great for phone apps. So no concerns with obtaining apps I really want.

Comment

X92-2GB

Do you plan to make a tutorial for rooting and explain your future mods?

Do you think mecool will fix the problem with HDR always on even with non HDR content.

Comment

Originally posted by lobothefoots View Post
                    X92-2GB

Do you think mecool will fix the problem with HDR always on even with non HDR content.
                    Hi, I wrote something up in the main thread on the KM6 Deluxe. I sort of hoped the KM6 Deluxe threads both here and on 4PDA did not mix info Classic in with the Deluxe, they are two different boxes. Sort of like mixing a Beelink King with a GT. They soon boot you out for doing so. Ha!

Ok, enough ranting... I performed my first mod... it is doing very well with active cooling within the enclosure, without any on top ventilation. Actually keeps the bottom cooler, and less CPU temprature throttling. Will do some pictures and add information about it, next year about this time. As I will be doing dual external antennas. Both are 3db 5ghz from my Linksys router, which is now using ASUS 6db antennas. Just don't want to open the box any more than I have to. If you want you can read on the main thread.

As for HDR. The tech specs are funny to me. Back when I purchased my Samsung DLP display, the gurus who did calibrations for a living scoffed on using xvYCC wide for calibration. S-RGB was the game back then. Soon after Rec 2010 was a standard, which really did not make any difference as both older standards required every device within the chain to pass deep colour or wide colour gamut. The difference on older TV and projector using the older xvYCC wide and deep colour use Rec 709 as a base and expand from there to produce 75% or more of all colours. While HDR is HDR only, and cannot decode properly Rec 609 or standard RGB thus image wash out and such. Its too different to use consistently, with varied content. I never once looked back after making my calibration on my TV work with xvYCC wide. It's been 10 years since and I can watch any video format with perfect reproduction.

I suggest setting your TV to xvYCC wide, calibrate it and see how well it performs, over leaving you TV on HDR only. You will think HDR is active and trouble free. Reason why I suggest this, is that it took 6 years for content to catch up to the HD ability of my tv. But it was no surprise, as latest and greatest usually only looks good when bought, but rarely it's send until general tech catches up. Studios and providers are not willing to pay to replace their equipment let alone the bandwidth requirements needed. AV1 is a must have to allow streamed HDR content to playback without effecting others on your network. Give of take another 5 years, HDR will be easier for personal use than it is now. It's still a growing market, not many understand. xvYCC wide is more compatible than HDR is at this time.

As for rooting, I am waiting on Devs and mothers with abilities to hack this box. Not going to jump in right away. I assume, the best method will be a custom recovery with keys on sdcard, to allow installing Magisk.

Unless Mecool has an upgrade to allow rooting. Someone may hack an OTA, to patch bout loader and pass it on. But it will require flashing, which could brick this box, if careless.

I suggest calibration of your tv, I used Blu-ray DVD essentials, it's old and there may be newer versions or products to use. The nice thing was it proved my Blu-ray player and A/V Receiver did pass wide to my TV. They were all released in 2009. Now that many products are SRGB compatible the chain should not be compromised like back when I first started with setting up. Like the current and older formats used, the content may not be up converted so, what my be high def, may be just an old video format encoded for the container used for distribution. Just because it's AV1 with HDR does not mean the video is HDR quality. If you had an extensive Blu-ray collection, you would know, Blu-ray can be a box of chocolates, it's that way with HDR. I see so many upscaled 4k content turned into 8K and higher, and they say it's HDR. Pretty sad, but it is so true.

I won't buy a new TV until another 10 years when tech will be even Steven across the board. Right now we are on the cusp of nothing else to do with improving picture quality. Like the 70s, we will be colourizing beyond perfect picture like we do with our phones on video chats. Making particular actors changed to reflect on the viewers preference. Like swap out Tom Cruse with Wesley Snipes in MI2. Or Keanu Reaves swapped out with Jackie Chan in the Matrix. Or even better place your self, or your pet as an actor in the movie or show.
                    Last edited by X92-2GB; 02-27-2021, 20:36. Reason: Fixed some spell check auto replace errors

Comment

X92-2GB
                      Thanks for the detailed answer.

It is not that simple for the HDR issue.
                      In fact I think you just don't experience it because your hardware is too old.

The box send an HDR signal even when the image data isn't in this format.
                      When the TV process the signal it looks for the HDR signal and change the light and colors a lot to match this standard.
                      So when I watch an old movie without HDR the box force the HDR flag and the image is shitty.

It is not a calibration issue.

I look forward to some guru hacking this box to make it great.

For the AV1 part, well kodi can only sw decoding so it stutter a lot.
                      When HW decoding will be supported this box will rock.

Comment

X92-2GB
                        Thanks for the detailed answer.

It is not that simple for the HDR issue.
                        In fact I think you just don't experience it because your hardware is too old.

The box send an HDR signal even when the image data isn't in this format.
                        When the TV process the signal it looks for the HDR signal and change the light and colors a lot to match this standard.
                        So when I watch an old movie without HDR the box force the HDR flag and the image is shitty.

It is not a calibration issue.

I look forward to some guru hacking this box to make it great.

For the AV1 part, well kodi can only sw decoding so it stutter a lot.
                        When HW decoding will be supported this box will rock.
                        Hi, you sort of misunderstood me. Once you set your TV from HDR default to an older standard xvYCC, you will need to calibrate. Calibrating should not be done to HDR setting, unless something is out of whack.

xvYCC is not properly calibrated, that is why I stated you must calibrate.

Yes my TV is old, but few formats that push beyond 10 bit colour. What I am trying to say is, for many years 32 bit OS worked well, even on 64 bit systems. When a 64 bit OS came out, it took many years for anyone to see a benefit. My TV is only 1080p, yet I can tell image quality is so much better with true HDR content, even though it is down scaled. Just saying, xvYCC may not carry 12 bits, but it does a very good job at 100% colour reproduction with just 10 bits. At least on my Samsung.

HDR IMO is only good for true HDR, so until more than 30% of your viewing content is HDR, try setting to xvYCC if avaliable. But if doing so, calibrate.

Comment

X92-2GB

Mecool added an option to select SDR to HDR on their new KD1 Android stick, but I got a new HDR TV a couple of months ago, so I can't test it. But my other TV was a disaster using a box that did NOT support that function. I could NOT use my Tivo Stream 4k because of that issue. I have asked Mecool to add that option to the KM6 Deluxe box also, because a lot of people need that option.

Also, Mecool sent me an email yesterday with a firmware for the KM6 Deluxe that fixes the situation where my TV stats ALWAYS shows HDR 10. Now it only shows HDR10 when I play a video that is encoded with HDR 10. I asked them to display Dolby Vision on my TV stats, so hopefully they can correct that issue.

Also, this box ALWAYS shows 3840x2160 resolution, no matter what resolution I am playing. If I am playing a 1080p movie, it should show 192x1080, NOT 3480x2160.
                          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Mecool added an option to select SDR to HDR on their new KD1 Android stick, but I got a new HDR TV a couple of months ago, so I can't test it. But my other TV was a disaster using a box that did NOT support that function. I could NOT use my Tivo Stream 4k because of that issue. I have asked Mecool to add that option to the KM6 Deluxe box also, because a lot of people need that option.

Also, Mecool sent me an email yesterday with a firmware for the KM6 Deluxe that fixes the situation where my TV stats ALWAYS shows HDR 10. Now it only shows HDR10 when I play a video that is encoded with HDR 10. I asked them to display Dolby Vision on my TV stats, so hopefully they can correct that issue.

Also, this box ALWAYS shows 3840x2160 resolution, no matter what resolution I am playing. If I am playing a 1080p movie, it should show 192x1080, NOT 3480x2160.
                            Nice to hear Mecool is listening. I sent anot email as well in the first week of February, about a few things as well. No contact back yet, about my concernes.

So auto detect on HDMI doesn't change resolution? My old TV does 1080p @ 120hz native, so with the KM6 Deluxe doing awesome conversion, I kept the resolution set not to detect. All the video content is static at 1080p @ 60hz. Less work for my TV processor to do. Plus film does not blur as bad, when panning @ 24fps.
                            There is service mode settings that enable or disable features. I bet newer HDR TVs have no ability to force true 1080 lwithin it's processing. It's more like detecting the input, but sends HDR handshake anyway. I also told Mecool we need some Droid TV settings to fully adjust HDMI settings. Like my H96 Pro plus had the option to send 7.1 DTS instead of 5.1.

All my options are to assist in bypassing or working around HDR until a fix is made.

Hopefully the firmware will be released soon, for all having HDR issues. I will be looking forward to seeing options that I pointed out earlier in the month fixed or available, to see more than just an HDR fix.

Comment

Working...
                            X