MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Review

Here is my YouTube review of the Mecool KM6 Deluxe. Very nice box, giving the Nvidia Shield a run for it's money.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that there are a couple of major issues that Mecool needs to resolve.1. When the box is powered off or put into st...

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Nice review! I appreciated the focus on "HDMI_Self-Adaption" aka AutoFrameRate, which has always been missing in the past from most Amlogic TV boxes as a standard feature.

Comment

Yep as per his usual, fine effort. Well done there young fella

Was hoping to get one for a tear down but well Spring Festival and the economy I guess
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

These boxes/sticks have come along way in the last 8 years since I purchased my first box...
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Hi, found your thread on an AVS site, and noticed you had kindly given a kudo on my reply. Thanks! I did not want to make the thread look like it's over run by fan boy buddies. So I leave no comment other wise.

yes it's was nice to see your demonstration, and kind review on self adaptation.

I could have stated my own personal tastes on that point, but not everyone has the same TV or projector. I have not used self adaptation since I have gone with DLP projection tv. Every time I point out reasons why adaptation can be a hindrance, the purists get all over me. So I don't frequent that forum as much as I use to back in 2008 to 2010.

For reference on why self adaptation works or doesn't work with a particular tv. The main reason is internal processing. Now many TVs have 120hz and higher processing. So what does that mean to you? Well some TVs will make the image look synthetic, or slightly blurred with processing anything below the 60hz standard.

Since DLP has ultra fast on off characteristics, the image is not skewed by LCD pixel on off times, so it seems to do better with a signal not requiring processing twice to produce a picture.

Mostly high end processing does not effect each frame, but with consumer TV, processing can be a crap shoot. A good TV may have accurate colour repreduction, and high internal processing rates, but the processor may colourize the image by over processing, and cheaper units may under process the image. So what happens is an odd mix of processing that may be more noticeable when frequencies don't match between box processed image and TV processed image.

Anywho, my TV whether or not the signal is 24hz or 50hz, it will process the image at 120hz for half of the picture, and combine them to make the complete image effectively 60hz. Try wrapping that around your head as to the complexities of processing between processors.

To combat odd screen behaviour with content, I set my box to 1080p. Reason is my TV processing is not any better than the box, if not less so with progressive screen adaptation between frames. Only when you watch 24hz frame rates, you will see the noticeable difference. You may notice when PAL content is playing as well.

Integer non integer frame rates, don't matter with my tv, as for the box, I have yet to notice any stabilization issues with streamed content or my testing video clips.

On the plus side of making the box stay set at 1080p, is that I no longer have any annoying input status information pop up when changing content. If it were adjustable on delay time, I could live with it, but 10 freaking seconds is a bit much. Especially when popping in and out of various content. Totally takes away from the pleasure of watching tv.

Watching plenty of UK and EU content, done in native screen resolution and frame rate, looks just a crisp and clean as native US content. Just it all depends on how well the streamed content is kept in its native form, and or how well the TV can process the signal. I imagine my DLP needs to address the frequency variations in video better than common commercial TVs being made. After all it was top of the line and last of its kind, in 2009 by the manufacturer. Yes it's that good, not to be so willing to by a 4k display to replace it.

Comment

Working...
          X