Adding an automatic fan to an H96 Pro dongle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding an automatic fan to an H96 Pro dongle

I have an H96 Pro (S912 version) and I need to add a fan to it due to overheating while playing certain video files. The back of the dongle is well vented, so it's no problem to attach a small USB powered fan. But, since the USB power is pass through on this device, all USB ports remain powered as long as there is power connected to the device. This means the fan stays running all the time, even when the device has been shut down or has gone into sleep/standby mode. I want the fan to turn off when the device is in standby/sleep mode so the fan doesn't collect and introduce dust into the device during the 22 hours of the day that I'm not using it, and also to prolong the life of the fan.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to get a fan to turn on and off with the dongle. Regular TV boxes have a status led that changes colors which could be used to control a fan, but this dongle only has one red light that stays lit all the time. I've been looking into a USB relay switch, which can be controlled through a serial terminal app in Android, but that would require running the app and entering commands every time to turn the fan on and off. I would greatly prefer something automatic. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how this might be achieved?

Most of the temp controlled relays I see about run on 12 volts. Maybe you can find a 5 volt one.

Maybe you can find a bimetal switch at the desired turn on temperature. Bimetal switches are passive components. I think you would want one that is "N/O" or normally open.

I simply put a micro switch in a box I have. It was a situation similar to yours.
    Good luck.

Comment

hmm..
      i use a "asus vrm cooler" connected to "dc 6v" adaptor to "time on/off switch"
      vrm cooler pic: https://i.****img.com/images/g/GaUAA...VYu/s-l400.jpg

on ****..you can also get "USB time switch" unit
      but I don't like the idea of pulling power off the USB port

just a thought

hmm.. e-bay is forbidden ? it seems ( **** )

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
        Most of the temp controlled relays I see about run on 12 volts. Maybe you can find a 5 volt one.

Maybe you can find a bimetal switch at the desired turn on temperature. Bimetal switches are passive components. I think you would want one that is "N/O" or normally open.

I simply put a micro switch in a box I have. It was a situation similar to yours.
        Good luck.
        I found a 5 volt temperature relay, but there isn't much space in the H96 dongle to place the thermistor. It would have to go beside the heat sink, which would put it directly in the air flow of the fan. I'm not sure if that would cause a bounce effect, or if the thermistor would stay warm enough to keep the fan on even while being cooled by the fans air flow. Maybe I'll get one and try setting the threshold temp at a couple degrees over ambient and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
        hmm..

just a thought

Yes, the e-store is forbidden here. Probably has something to do with their sponsor(s). I don't understand about the timer switch. How do you get it to turn on without something specific to activate it? Pulling power from the USB port isn't a problem. The fan I'm using pulls 1 watt, or 190ma, which is only about twice what a wireless mouse/keyboard dongle uses.

Comment

well for usb..
          google "Thanko USB 24-Hour Timer Switch" for example
          on e-bay like sites there are named differently

but I prefer "ac 220v power plug on off switch timer"

goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by DrVlikhell View Post

I found a 5 volt temperature relay, but there isn't much space in the H96 dongle to place the thermistor. It would have to go beside the heat sink, which would put it directly in the air flow of the fan. I'm not sure if that would cause a bounce effect, or if the thermistor would stay warm enough to keep the fan on even while being cooled by the fans air flow. .....
            It might be possible to make a small shield out of plastic soda bottle, or similar material, to protect the sensor from the fan's direct airflow.

Placing the sensor on the opposite side of the PCB to the CPU/Heatsink might work, provided the temp controlled relay has the range for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post

It might be possible to make a small shield out of plastic soda bottle, or similar material, to protect the sensor from the fan's direct airflow.

Placing the sensor on the opposite side of the PCB to the CPU/Heatsink might work, provided the temp controlled relay has the range for it.
              I thought about putting it on the other side as well, but I don't think there is enough space. There appear to be notches in the underside of the casing to clear some of the taller chips on the back of the board. Even the solder joints on the USB ports are filed flat for clearance. I was going to try to make a shield like you said, but with some gaffers tape. That would also keep the thermistor in place. It may work, but the device also makes a bit of heat even when it's in sleep mode. The fan cools everything so well that I'm afraid the temperature with the fan on will always be lower than with the device in sleep mode and the fan off, which means the fan would come on regularly even with the device in sleep mode. Either way, I've ordered a thermistor switch so we'll see what happens when it eventually arrives from China.

I also looked into the timer switch, but it seems they are just regular clock timer modules that turn on and off at different hours of the day. I don't always use the box at the same time of the day, and I also don't use the box every day, so while a timer would reduce how much the fan runs, it would still run needlessly quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                hmm..

just a thought

Hi ,

why you making this "*****" into the Link , u only want to show what u use ,

not needed , u make no Advertisment , thats okay , greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

why you making this "*****" into the Link , u only want to show what u use ,

not needed , u make no Advertisment , thats okay , greetings / gefattern
                  It seems the forum does that automatically.

I'm still looking for a more direct way to turn a fan on/off. The thermistor switch I ordered won't work because when the fan is on, the temperature of the entire device is lower than when the fan is off. Even the back, where the air doesn't blow directly, is cooler when the fan is on. That means something to block the air flow over the thermistor won't work either.

Comment

It seems the forum does that automatically.

I'm still looking for a more direct way to turn a fan on/off. The thermistor switch I ordered won't work because when the fan is on, the temperature of the entire device is lower than when the fan is off. Even the back, where the air doesn't blow directly, is cooler when the fan is on. That means something to block the air flow over the thermistor won't work either.
                    Hi ,

thanks for answer , but i do not know anything about this theme , i only use for my Devices ,

Fan on top of the Box , why not using a stock ON/OFF switch to stop the Power ???

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

thanks for answer , but i do not know anything about this theme , i only use for my Devices ,

Fan on top of the Box , why not using a stock ON/OFF switch to stop the Power ???

good luck / gefattern
                      There is no on/off switch on my box.

Comment

There is no on/off switch on my box.
                        Hi ,

misunderstood , i mean ON/OFF between Fan & USB Port , or where ever you get Power from ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Working...
                        X