Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Max TV Box - S912 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM 2.4G + 5.8G WiFi BT4.0 100Mbps 4K VP9 H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest Just received a lot of M8S Max which run Android 9. Any plans on a custom rom,. or should i roll back to your 7.1 rom instead?

Haven't tested the box yet, so don't know if factory Android 9 runs well on S912 devices

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post
      Guest Just received a lot of M8S Max which run Android 9. Any plans on a custom rom,. or should i roll back to your 7.1 rom instead?

Haven't tested the box yet, so don't know if factory Android 9 runs well on S912 devices
      The latest Amlogic SDK with support for S912 is 7.1, so Android 7.1 is really your only option on the M8S Max.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39106.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	793017Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39105.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	793019Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39107.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	793018Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39109.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	793020Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39110.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	793022Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39111.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	793023Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39108.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	793021
        Originally posted by Magendanz View Post

The latest Amlogic SDK with support for S912 is 7.1, so Android 7.1 is really your only option on the M8S Max.
        Why does it show as Android 9.0 on the boxes?

Comment

I have this M8S Max with your M8S Pro L Nano firmware.

Works a charm, but I have this Playstore cache building up to over 20 GB, after which the box becomes unusable.

I know this is not caused by your firmware, and if you google for Playstore cache, you will find many people in the world have the same problem.

These are just 2 results, so Google is aware but their solution doesn't work.

I have run out of space on my phone and am having to constantly transfer pictures off my phone, and delete texts as they come to clear up space. My phone has a max storage of 25.98GB and Google Play Services is taking up that much of it to where I can't install any apps. I have 15 downloaded...

One post suggest to remove the folder com.google.android.gms , but I'm not sure if that is such a good idea.

I have tried everything suggested in multiple posts, including removing all updates, clear cache - clear data in Playstore and Play services app, and then it will be fine for about 1 week, after which it builds up to 20 Gb again in just a few hours time, with the box just in standby.

Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I'm not aware of a better workaround. I recall that some of these boxes had an OEM "feature" which prevented the Google Play Store from being updated. I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the problem. Can you confirm that you've got v20.6.30 or later?

Playstore updates normally, it is now version 21.2.xx

Also when I removed all updates, so it went back to version 11.xx, it updated again, but I had to switch to WIFI to make it happen.

Comment

Guest do you think it is safe to remove the folder com.google.android.gms.

There is a com.google.android.gms2 as well I have noticed

What I can gather from most of the google results on this issue, is that it has something to do with syncing between google products, which may be installed on other devices that use the same google account.

Comment

Guest I "think" I may have figured out where the issues is, and maybe you have a solution for it.

Last week I had installed a new Google account on the box, that had no other Google apps attached, and was not on any other device.

For 1 week everything was fine.

Today my Playstore cache was again 8 GB. I cleared the cache, left the box on idle, and within 15 minutes it was already 806 MB again.

I then opened Playstore and there was an update available for Google. However Playstore is set to auto update over any network, it never does that.

So I did the manual install, but got the download pending notification, though when I opened Playstore I had seen that moving arrow in the top left corner, which indicates something was downloading. I pulled it down, and it says playstore update, and I notice it has updated to version 21.3.xxx

After a few minutes of download pending, I closed the Playstore, and then the Google download started, and when I opened PS again it started installing.

After completion I went back to system apps / Playstore and the cache was still 806 MB, so I cleared it.

Now 1 hour later it's still only few MB

So could it be that because the auto updates doesn't work, causes the build up?

Is there a way to force auto updates?

Thanks in advance

Comment

[USER="82661"]

So could it be that because the auto updates doesn't work, causes the build up?

Is there a way to force auto updates?

Thanks in advance
                I think this relates to the android "developer setting" that says something like maybe 'force system updates' -- check it is usually in the top area of the developer menu, make sure that is triggered ON, after a Reboot that setting should be forcing PlayServices to look for PlayStore and PlayServices updates and install them.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

I think this relates to the android "developer setting" that says something like maybe 'force system updates' -- check it is usually in the top area of the developer menu, make sure that is triggered ON, after a Reboot that setting should be forcing PlayServices to look for PlayStore and PlayServices updates and install them.
                  No such setting in developer menu

Comment

No such setting in developer menu
                    Just checked, correct name is "Automatic system updates" and it is only in the stock Android settings (aka more settings), you won't find it in the TV sidebar settings panel of the TVbox.

Comment

Just checked, correct name is "Automatic system updates" and it is only in the stock Android settings (aka more settings), you won't find it in the TV sidebar settings panel of the TVbox.
                      Not sure if I understand.

I have the Nano firmware from Magendanz, so that setting will not be available there?

I looked in more settings, and can not find anything that sounds like that

Comment

the stock android settings, it is usually White and here on freaktab most people call it the "more settings" because old tvbox's always hide the main settings with that link, while most tv-box's use the TV-sidebar settings and those the options are limited, so if you navigate to main settings inside the Developer options you will find "Automatic system settings" -- had to boot up android 7 device to verify

Comment

the stock android settings, it is usually White and here on freaktab most people call it the "more settings" because old tvbox's always hide the main settings with that link, while most tv-box's use the TV-sidebar settings and those the options are limited, so if you navigate to main settings inside the Developer options you will find "Automatic system settings" -- had to boot up android 7 device to verify
                          Maybe you want to take a picture?

I know where " more settings" is, and there is no developer options or autos system updates in that screen.

In the normal menu there is developer settings, but again there is no auto system updates there

Comment

Hi Guest , sorry to disturb you again. I have a M8S Max on which I installed your Pro L Nano firmware.

Lately when I start up the box between the static Nexus screen, and the animated Android boot screen, I get for a second a distorted screen.

There are no issues once the box is started up. I see the static Nexus screen, then for 1 second the distorted picture, and then the animated android boot.

Do you think this is a hardware issue, or will it likely be sorted if I reflash the firmware?

As we can't upload pictures, you will get an idea how it looks from below link.

Comment

Guest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Seems related to the video mode switch...so hardware. Reflashing the firmware probably won't have any effect. I would try it with a different cable, TV and AV receiver.

Guest Connected already to different TV with different HDMI cable, but it's the same.

The issue started only recently, after using for about 6 months without issue, and there is no issue streaming live streams of Mobdro and the like..

You expect this issue is likely to worsen over time?

Right now it is actually no issue, since it's only for 1 second, and just when it switch from static to animated boot video.
                            Last edited by Jancales; 09-02-2020, 17:53.

Comment

Working...
                            X