Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Max TV Box - S912 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM 2.4G + 5.8G WiFi BT4.0 100Mbps 4K VP9 H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jancales View Post

I have this M8S Max with your M8S Pro L Nano firmware.

Works a charm, but I have this Playstore cache building up to over 20 GB, after which the box becomes unusable.

I know this is not caused by your firmware, and if you google for Playstore cache, you will find many people in the world have the same problem.

These are just 2 results, so Google is aware but their solution doesn't work.

I have run out of space on my phone and am having to constantly transfer pictures off my phone, and delete texts as they come to clear up space. My phone has a max storage of 25.98GB and Google Play Services is taking up that much of it to where I can't install any apps. I have 15 downloaded...

One post suggest to remove the folder com.google.android.gms , but I'm not sure if that is such a good idea.

I have tried everything suggested in multiple posts, including removing all updates, clear cache - clear data in Playstore and Play services app, and then it will be fine for about 1 week, after which it builds up to 20 Gb again in just a few hours time, with the box just in standby.

Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Guest I continued to monitor the issue with the Playstore cache building up very quickly to unreal levels, and it still happens.

My findings are that it only happens when there is an update for Google or Chrome available, as seems to keep downloading those updates into the Playstore cache.

So I am considering to remove both system apps from the box and replace with another browser.

I can use system app remover apk, but it warns about removing these apps, though not sure if it will actually cause any issues.

Can you advise on a safe way to remove both apps, without destabilizing the firmare?

I am also aware that I can deactivate Chrome, though I'm not sure if that will prevent the updates from showing up in the Playstore.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      You can just delete the directory in /system/app using the TWRP file browser. I'd also delete the corresponding directory in /data/app, just to free up the space.

Thanks for the fast response, are there any risks that it will destabilize the firmware, since it are system apps?

Are there any other apps that depend on it?

Comment

Removed both Google and Chrome, everything fine for about a week.

The other day again 9.4Gb cache in the Playstore app.

Checked for updates and no updates available. Searched for Google and Chrome in the playstore and it shows they are not installed

Comment

Removed both Google and Chrome, everything fine for about a week.
        The other day again 9.4Gb cache in the Playstore app.
        Checked for updates and no updates available. Searched for Google and Chrome in the playstore and it shows they are not installed
        First you Virus scanned your device for malware/virus? Android-Malware can cause GooglePlay to download apps without confirmation from user, especially on rooted devices, something to check. The free Bitdefender Anti-virus will find anything suspicious and is better than 95% of all other Antivirus software made for Android.

You verified you have the latest GooglePlayStore installed? Use APKmirror.com to get the most current version, version 22.4.25 is the most recent as I write this.

You verified you have the latest GooglePlayServices installed? Best to install "Play Services Info" app from PlayStore so that the correct Services version gets updated directly through the PlayStore.

Another security fix to do if your device has root-access is manually update the standard AOSP-webview with a newer version from either LineageOS or from Bromite.org - bromite has instructions on installing their Webview as a system app.

Also, in the main Android Settings in Developer Options there is a setting "Automatic system updates" which can be turned OFF, this will stop system apps from updating in background after a reboot (ie. PlayStore, PlayServices, Chrome, Google, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

First you Virus scanned your device for malware/virus? Android-Malware can cause GooglePlay to download apps without confirmation from user, especially on rooted devices, something to check. The free Bitdefender Anti-virus will find anything suspicious and is better than 95% of all other Antivirus software made for Android.

You verified you have the latest GooglePlayStore installed? Use APKmirror.com to get the most current version, version 22.4.25 is the most recent as I write this.

You verified you have the latest GooglePlayServices installed? Best to install "Play Services Info" app from PlayStore so that the correct Services version gets updated directly through the PlayStore.

Another security fix to do if your device has root-access is manually update the standard AOSP-webview with a newer version from either LineageOS or from Bromite.org - bromite has instructions on installing their Webview as a system app.

Also, in the main Android Settings in Developer Options there is a setting "Automatic system updates" which can be turned OFF, this will stop system apps from updating in background after a reboot (ie. PlayStore, PlayServices, Chrome, Google, etc.).
          Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I can answer "yes" on all your questions, except the automatic system update setting is not visible in my developer options.

I never noticed any unwanted apps on the box, and have run MalwareBytes few times already, but will try the bidefender as well.

I run the Nano Nexus firmware from magendanz.

The reason why I removed Chrome and google, is that when I noticed a huge cache in the Playstore app, there would be a Google or Chrome update available in the Playstore., So I thought that would be the cause, but turns out not from my latest experience.

I am connected by LAN, and the Playstore is set to auto update apps over any network, but they don't auto update.

The cache build up usually happens over a timespan of a few hours, while the box sits idle

Comment

I can answer "yes" on all your questions, except the automatic system update setting is not visible in my developer options.
            That specific setting is not in the droidlogic TV-Sidebar-Settings menu, only in the fullscreen regular white background full Android Settings.

I am connected by LAN, and the Playstore is set to auto update apps over any network, but they don't auto update.
            Switch to update over "WiFi-Only" - or have you tested that? I have one box that even though it is connected with Ethernet cable, on the "App download preference" is set to "Over Wi-Fi only" - and the system correctly checks for updates when device comes out of sleep, or after power-on intent, or reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
              That specific setting is not in the droidlogic TV-Sidebar-Settings menu, only in the fullscreen regular white background full Android Settings.

Thanks again, developer options was not available in that section, turns out you have to activate in both sections separately.

I have now switched off auto system updates, and install apps over Wi-Fi only.

Update apps there is only over any network or don't update available. No setting for WIFI.only

There is an update for Tivimate listed, so let's see if it updates automatically

Comment

I have now left the box online for more than 24 hours, with the last 12 hours on WIFI, rebooted a few times as well when I changed update settings in the playstore, and the Tivimate update which shows for more than 24 hours is still not downloaded.

Comment

Hi Guest , sorry to disturb you again. I have a M8S Max on which I installed your Pro L Nano firmware.
                  Lately when I start up the box between the static Nexus screen, and the animated Android boot screen, I get for a second a distorted screen.
                  There are no issues once the box is started up. I see the static Nexus screen, then for 1 second the distorted picture, and then the animated android boot.
                  Do you think this is a hardware issue, or will it likely be sorted if I reflash the firmware?
                  As we can't upload pictures, you will get an idea how it looks from below link.
                  https://www.redbubble.com/i/ipad-cas...29092056.MNKGF
                  Guest I can now confirm that the distorted picture, when it goes from static to animated boot screen, is firmware related.

I just reflashed a box that had it badly, like several seconds, and now boot up is normal again.

I almost peed my pants, as I thought I got it bricked.

Using same pc - usb cable and burning tool as always, it would get to 7%, where it starts formatting, but didn't move from there.

After 2 minutes I would get the following error uboot/disk initialize/send command/time out

Tried many times, reconnected and restarted PC, but always same.

Of course box wouldn't boot any more as well

I then used a different version of Amlogic tool, and would get the Lowper error all the time.

Then at one time it started moving, and then Amlogic tool crashed.

On restart of the tool, and just disconnect and reconnect usb cable, it started installing the firmware right away.

Seems there still is a god lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X