H96 Pro S912 Dongle WiFi + Bluetooth interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H96 Pro S912 Dongle WiFi + Bluetooth interference

A while back I had issues with my dongle dropping WiFi pretty consistently. Never figured out what it was but solved it by getting a second router for cheap and set it up as an AP for my ATV devices. Now I have a different, but possibly related problem.

When I use Bluetooth for audio (Bluetooth headphones), WiFi performance degrades to the point where the device is unable to stream any video content, except for very low bandwidth content. I checked it with a speed test app, and the best I can get with Bluetooth not connected for audio is 42mbit (from a 100mbit source). With Bluetooth connected for audio it drops to about 5mbit. This is also very consistent. I connected and disconnected the Bluetooth headphones in the middle of a speed test and the WiFi speed instantly reflected the change. I tested it several times this way and got the same result every time. I tried changing the channel on my router and that made it worse.

I'm using SuperCelerons custom rom, the "normal" version. I switched to that rom because previously on the stock rom when I would use Bluetooth for audio and while streaming video over WiFi at the same time the device would just lock up. That seemed to only start happening after I relocated the WiFi antenna to outside the case as per the instructions in another post on the forum. However, I can't remember if I was using Bluetooth much before that or not. Though I'm certain that it never locked up before that.

Since it seems that Bluetooth and WiFi are in the same chip and both use the same antenna, the only thing I can think to do is attach a real external WiFi antenna by removing the stock antenna, soldering on an RPSMA pigtail and then using a 3dbi "rubber ducky" antenna in hopes that the WiFi signal can be strengthened enough to overcome at least some of the loss. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Is there any way to adjust the Bluetooth and WiFi drivers to help mitigate this? I would switch to Ethernet, but this rom doesn't recognize a USB Ethernet adapter. I'm told there is a rom from another device that works with the H96 Pro Dongle and has support for Ethernet over USB, but that Bluetooth doesn't work on that rom.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Hi ,

for sure it has to do , that they use the same Antenna , is it well soldered , no shorts ???

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
      Hi ,

for sure it has to do , that they use the same Antenna , is it well soldered , no shorts ???

good luck / gefattern
      Everything looked fine on the antenna wire, solder looked good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrVlikhell View Post

Everything looked fine on the antenna wire, solder looked good as well.
        Hi ,

so you modded your Antenna any Pictures , maybe is the FW buggy ,

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Hi ,

so you modded your Antenna any Pictures , maybe is the FW buggy ,

good luck / gefattern

I didn't really mod the antenna so much, I just peeled it off the inside of the case, routed the wire through a vent hole in the case and now it's sticking outside of the case like a flag. I don't have any pictures of it.

I could try flashing the rom again, but it works well otherwise. Maybe it's a common problem that nobody experiences because I bet most people don't listen to movies with bluetooth due to the latency. Is there a way to flash just the drivers for the WiFi and Bluetooth?

Comment

Originally posted by DrVlikhell View Post

I didn't really mod the antenna so much, I just peeled it off the inside of the case, routed the wire through a vent hole in the case and now it's sticking outside of the case like a flag. I don't have any pictures of it.

I could try flashing the rom again, but it works well otherwise. Maybe it's a common problem that nobody experiences because I bet most people don't listen to movies with bluetooth due to the latency. Is there a way to flash just the drivers for the WiFi and Bluetooth?
            Hi ,

if you have root , think well , but i am not a Pro in that , maybe over ADB or Terminal , somewhere i have read that changing the Wifi Channel or Speed , should help ??? , but not sure exactly what to to ??? , what happens if you put Antenna to old place ???

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Hi ,

if you have root , think well , but i am not a Pro in that , maybe over ADB or Terminal , somewhere i have read that changing the Wifi Channel or Speed , should help ??? , but not sure exactly what to to ??? , what happens if you put Antenna to old place ???

good luck / gefattern
              I changed the WiFi channel and that made it much worse. It only does N so I can't change the speed. If I move the antenna itself from the position it's in now, WiFi performance gets much worse. For now I've moved the whole dongle up as high as I can get it and it seems this has increased WiFi performance just enough to be able to stream video without buffering. It doesn't really solve the issue, but I guess it works for now. I wish there was a way to make it able to use a USB Ethernet adapter.

Comment

Working...
              X