This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imaddiced2u View Post
    I use this CPU Temp app to display CPU temperature. Turn on overlay in settings to leave temperature on screen when app is closed.
    https://cputemp.en.aptoide.com/

i use CPU Monitor and like it https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ng.stark&hl=de
    I have also the constant temperature-monitoring on the screen, but can disable it also.
    the both apps might make the same service and as we don´t have battery drain on our tv-boxes, the consumption is not so important right?

Comment

USB powered personal fan mounted to dremeled case.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by brooks1005 View Post
        USB powered personal fan mounted to dremeled case.
        That sure is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by panchovilla View Post

That sure is huge.
          Super quiet.The fan sits in between two foam pieces and is a kit I found at Microcenter.

Comment

Hi guys,

I finally starting modding my box. For now it`s just drilling holes on the bottom and the top but tomorrow I am getting kryonaut grizzly thermal paste which I want to use with the stock cooling. Let`s see to what I get.

I use it mainly under LibreELEC/Kodi, where I get 55-60 C idle and 60-70 C during playback and 80 C during high load.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Runs at around 40-45 centigrade 5v/550ma
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Update on my mod. Was not happy with just adding kryonaut grizzly thermal paste and keep the stock heatsink.

So I did this. 45-50 idle. 50-61 max 65 playback. I used a copper plate on the main S912 chip, another copper plate on one smaller chip and the heatsink for 2 other chips. Think this is the best I can go without adding overseized heatsinks and still be able to close the box.

I just pray that over night the paste will harden, cause now... the copper just weighs more

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by mcerk02 View Post
                  This is my cooling fan mod, https://imgur.com/a/JmvjG

Hello mate,

thanks for this hint! After many tests with laptop fans (blowers) and other fans and various different aluminium and copper heatsinks I came to my personal best result using exact same mod as you.

I use now 4 heatsinks:
                  - 1 copper plate to the main s912 chip
                  - original stock heatsink placed on 2 other chips
                  - another 1 coppler plate to the last chip
                  - 1 big aluminum plate pressed againts the main chip

My box is drilled:
                  - holes on the upper and the bottom side

Using Antec TriCool 92mm fan that is mounted on the bottom of the device, taking air out of it

Result are:
                  - 39 C idle
                  - Watching full hd 40 - 40 + something
                  - Watching FHD youtube 60 fps - 50 - 54 C
                  - Maxing out 63 - all kind of stress tests and etc, never goes more than 65 C

So for everyday use I am between 39-45 which is quite perfect.

The fan has 3 speeds, but it works only on high and medium speed:
                  - high speed is 2200 RM 27 dBA
                  - medium speed is 1600 RPM and 21 dBA

There is a physical button to switch RPMs. I have used an USB cable and fan is attached to USB port. It`s a 12V fan, working on the 5V port so I am not sure how accurate are the speeds, but what`s more important - it is absolutely silent as to the laptop blower was very, very loud.

I have to still create "legs"to raise the fan a bit, to allow for more ventilation and probably temps will drop further.

Attaching all my pics, hope that helps.

I have another big aluminium plate that is not shown here.

That was the laptop blower, effective but very loud

When the 92mm fan was mounted on the TOP of the box in both direction it was not so effective

Only when using your mount temps dropped perfectly

p.s. I used also bottom fan mounting with PULLING air into the device instead of SUCKING but the temps where higher.

p.p.s. I put tiny legs to the fan (the screws )) did testing again, and it turned out that BLOWING cold air INTO the device from the bottom mount gives ~3 C lower. So that`s how I got it now..
                  Last edited by velqn; 02-07-2018, 21:07.

Comment

I use DevCheck as you can see
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

And something from me:

Comment

Originally posted by ChimeyJimmey View Post
                        And something from me:

Where did you buy the fan and what did you hit on the plate?

Comment

I’m the only one that has great temps with huge heatsink and closed box???

Comment

Originally posted by ChimeyJimmey View Post
                            And something from me:

Comment

Not a H96 but it might give you some ideas, mecool ki pro with fan mod, box sits on glued on black Lego blocks to raise it up with original rubber feet from box, fan is 40x40x10 stock heatsink, fan runs from usb via a speed controller as the speed of fan was to noisy so now I can control speed and turn power down for less noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• trebor
                                trebor commented
                                Editing a comment
                                All Mods welcomed

Hey guy's i want to share this with you my easy fix for overheating just about any Android TV Box...I bought this Titan Dual-Way USB External Fan from Fry's electronics....don't think i can put there URL here, Frys.com 9.99 us $.....you don't have to solder a USB cable to it, cause it already has one on it.It's a 5V 8CM fan plugs into the USB port, all you need to do is get some spacers to lift it off the table.I used felt pads on the bottom and rubber bumpers on the top. I have been using this for over a week now and it hasn't froze on me once.After using this about 5 hours i checked it for being hot and its cool, so for under $15.00 us you cant lose.Any questions ask away...

Comment

• trebor
                                trebor commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Moved to H96 PRO Plus - hardware mods!
                            Working...
                            X