Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first post in this forum, i wanted to say thanks to everyone here because i learned quite a few things and inspired me to do this for my box.
    I wanted to open up the two extra USB's and decided to go one step further and added a fan to keep temps in check.

I experimented a few ways to do this but finally i decided to mount it on the side, that way i dont have to open up another hole in the box besides the hidden usb's and this way i can put those ports to good use.

I salvaged a fan from a mini laptop, its small and has a strong air flow, the only drawback its that it is really noisy when at full speed (5v). I added a few diodes in series to lower the voltaje from 5v to 2.9 and it works great and without noise! Tried it for a few and lowered my temps from 80°C to 55°C .

At the end decided to remove the switch you can see in one of the photos because i found out its easier just to use it as a plug and play. If at some point i dont want it i can just unplug it from the box and thats it.

All that i need to do now is to 3d print a case for it so it looks like an actual addon (a little box next to the box). I'll try to update this post or create a new one once im done.

[EDIT1]
    So i went ahead and tried to design a simple case for it. I'll be printing it tomorrow, lets see how it goes... wish me luck, i have no idea what im doing.

[EDIT2]
    Well.. the 3d printer was a no go, it had one of the motors damaged so i couldn't print it. I made a small box for it anyways and using some hot glue i keept everything in place. It keeps the temps on check and i can remove it at any point if i need those extra ports.
    I added a fourth diode to bring the volts down to 2.2 to reduce the fan speed and noise and the temps didn't change, its still at 55° at 100% usage
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by lov videos; 10-25-2018, 21:40.

Comment

Hello to everyone.
      So i have an h94 pro plus and the first mod i made it after being in my hands was a better cooling. So i opened the case removed the stock crap and put one from an old vga card. Now temp is from 33 to 40 max temp. Thank you all for providing great info.Click image for larger version

Name:	P81119-210448[1].jpg
Views:	932
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	752083

Comment

hi guys! where can i plug the wire of fan for voltage on motherboard? when i connect fan on usb fan turns very very slow

Comment

I have installed a new wifi antenna, heatsink and cpu fan. I have connected the fan to one of the usb ports. The problem is that the fan is always on because the usb have always 5v. Also when i shutdown the box.
          So where i can get swiched 5v for the fan on the pcb ?
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by schmiernippel View Post
            I have installed a new wifi antenna, heatsink and cpu fan. I have connected the fan to one of the usb ports. The problem is that the fan is always on because the usb have always 5v. Also when i shutdown the box.
            So where i can get swiched 5v for the fan on the pcb ?
            Isn't that white connector between the LED's a 5v powered port?

Comment

Thanks for your answer ! But i have discovered that the problem is the nova launcher i think ?! Before i have installed it, i have pressed the shutdown button on the remote and the box shut down and no led was lightning on the box. With nova launcher installed i press the shutdown button, the screen is black, but the blue led changes to red and the fan is running ?

So is there a setting in nova launcher for shutting down ? And what means the red led ?

Comment

Originally posted by schmiernippel View Post
                Thanks for your answer ! But i have discovered that the problem is the nova launcher i think ?! Before i have installed it, i have pressed the shutdown button on the remote and the box shut down and no led was lightning on the box. With nova launcher installed i press the shutdown button, the screen is black, but the blue led changes to red and the fan is running ?

So is there a setting in nova launcher for shutting down ? And what means the red led ?
                Normally apps don't have any control of Power-Off functions like hibernating the CPU and keeping the USB ports alive. That is a Sleep setting configured in the Kernel, did you change firmwares and now you notice the USB ports always alive?

A Red LED "ON" is just showing you that your device is in Stand-by Mode, a.k.a. Sleep mode.

Comment

There was a setting for the shutdown key where you can set the action of the key, shutdown or sleep ! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X