Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
    Haha, yes, I have a spare lid now.
    Trebor, you did it to me again...... I just ordered a replacement for my "L" box yesterday, from Geekbying. Only one $ more........
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Trebor, you did it to me again...... I just ordered a replacement for my "L" box yesterday, from Geekbying. Only one $ more........
      how mutch you pay 3/32 or 3/16 v ? geekbaying or gearbest

Comment

Originally posted by tombraga View Post

why you want to use this? the box has LAN Port!
        Yes, but not GB LAN right? Will 100M be enough for even the highetst bitrates? Im a noob, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by bajann View Post
          how mutch you pay 3/32 or 3/16 v ? geekbaying or gearbest
          $50 US from Geekbuying, 3/16
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

So with Mod done above
            http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...661#post684661

New spaced out LID ( raised by using plastic washers)

If you're in a tropical area a Fan or Laptop cooler underneath is the go if heat is a Big problem,
            Often with Factory Rom, Junk in the trunk running in the Background is the Killer.
            Or Kodi with lots of Addons (can be Evil)
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Some quick measurements
              More testing needed - Quick results

Lid Standard ~Kodi idle 65°C/150°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 87°C/190°F

30mm Fan + Lid with air holes ~Kodi idle 42°C/108°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 55°C/130°F - Fan noise

30mm Fan + Lifted Lid ~Kodi idle 50°C/122°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 64°C/147°F - Low noise

Last edited by P.X; 11-16-2017, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
                Some quick measurements
                More testing needed - Quick results

30mm Fan + Lid with air holes ~Kodi idle 42°C/108°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 55°C/130°F - Fan noise

30mm Fan + Lifted Lid ~Kodi idle 50°C/122°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 64°C/147°F - Low noise
                Where does the fan get it's power from?

Comment

Could use USB pads I think.
                  No, drat it, they aren't switched. I don't think a constant fan would be good.
                  Have to find somewhere else ... Fingers crossed.

I'll try to do a vid/pics as and when possible...?
                  Last edited by P.X; 11-17-2017, 00:53.

Comment

5V Input socket - Easier to solder pads are on underside of the board.
                    Could use USB pads either as an alternative.

I'll try to do a vid/pics as and when possible...
                    A video would be nice.

Comment

A video would be nice.
                      Hi, see above edit... Have to find a nice switched supply ???

Comment

Hi, see above edit... Have to find a nice switched supply ???

No switched supply that I can see (anyone know better ? let me know).

So I have changed to a silent fan that runs all the time, This is the 5V Pi Fan running at 3.3V with an isolation switch fitted to stop it, as and when.
                        Power is taken from the 3.3V UART +/- pads through a sub-minature slide switch mounted on the right flank of the box.
                        Fan is fully silent - 4x rubber sticky pads (made from 3M Double Sided or Generic foam tape) mount the fan to the lid and provide air-flow gap.
                        Lid attaches with a 2-3mm air gap around the edge.

Power consumption is miniscule.

Previous results
                        30mm 5V Fan + Lid with air holes ~Kodi idle 42°C/108°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 55°C/130°F - Fan noise
                        30mm 5V Fan + Lifted Lid ~Kodi idle 50°C/122°F ~Kodi HD Video playback 64°C/147°F - Low noise
                        30mm Fan(5V) @3.3V + Lifted Lid ~Kodi - HD Video Playback runs at 68°C/155°F Silent

Comment

No switched supply that I can see (anyone know better ? let me know).

So I have changed to a silent fan that runs all the time, This is the 5V Pi Fan running at 3.3V with an isolation switch fitted to stop it, as and when.
                          Power is taken from the 3.3V UART +/- pads through a sub-minature slide switch mounted on the right flank of the box.
                          Fan is fully silent - 4x rubber sticky pads (made from 3M Double Sided or Generic foam tape) mount the fan to the lid and provide air-flow gap.
                          Lid attaches with a 2-3mm air gap around the edge.

Power consumption is miniscule.

30mm Fan(5V) @3.3V + Lifted Lid ~Kodi - HD Video Playback runs at 68°C/155°F Silent
                          Please can you take photos of the mods you have done? I'm interested to do the same but I am a novice. I think photos can help me and other users too.

For now I'm testing it with an external usb powered fan to check if the freeze depends on high temperature. If yes I'll try to install an internal PI fan.

Thanks in advance.
                          Last edited by nitro82; 11-17-2017, 18:26.

Comment

Video

Pictures
                            I tried 2 Slots in the lid - 4 / 6 would help, but none also works if you don't want the work. Takes a while with a Stanley knife ........
                            You can just see the 2mm air gap at the edge
                            Click for Bigger
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	M8SPro-L-Fan1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	686575

Tap 3.3V from the UART Pads - Route Red +ve wire through a Sub-Miniature Slide Switch
                            Click for Bigger
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	M8SPro-L-Fan2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	686577

Slide Switch
                            Click for Bigger
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	M8SPro-L-Fan4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	686576

Overview
                            Stick fan to Lid - Small squares of 3M (Generic) double sided foam tape 15mm wide
                            Double thickness works best.
                            Neg and +ve from switch - I just tinned the ends and inserted into the red PI plug.
                            Two pieces of double sided tape hold them in place (leave the red backing on)
                            Click for Bigger
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	M8SPro-L-Fan3Bg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.5 KB ID:	686578

Moved the Wi-Fi aerial to the side position - could put it back on the lid if you want.

HTH
                            E&OE
                            Last edited by P.X; 11-17-2017, 23:08.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem ridiculous that we have to modify a Brand New box ourselves so that it functions properly?

Comment

Yes it is silly, but its what we do, Most can get by with a laptop cooler or just a small fan underneath.
                                And sometimes they take things on board, its built to a price.

treboR
                                Please consider
                                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                                X