No announcement yet.

Mecool M8S PRO L 4K TV Box Amlogic S912 Bluetooth 4.1 + HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just added a switch to the pads where we expect a reset switch. Turns out to work:

Code:
    update by key...
    InUsbBurn
    noSof
    card out
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd8, status=0x1ff2800
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd55, status=0x1ff2800
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd1, status=0x1ff2800
    [MSG]mmcinfo failed!
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd8, status=0x1ff2800
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd55, status=0x1ff2800
    emmc/sd response timeout, cmd1, status=0x1ff2800
    (Re)start USB...
    USB0:   USB3.0 XHCI init start
    Register 3000140 NbrPorts 3
    Starting the controller
    USB XHCI 1.00
    scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
           scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
    ** Bad device usb 0 **
    ** Bad device usb 0 **
    I like this box, with its 4K/1080P youtube and netflix support, but the ATV remote-control interface is awful!! I i can get remixOS or a normal android image on this box, i would be happy!

EDIT: When i print the U-Boot environment file, it seems there is an update possible that is triggered by IR:

Code:
    irremote_update=vs_irkey 0xba45ff00 0xba4594ca 1002000;if test ${irkey_value} = update; then run update;else if test ${irkey_value} = update_sdcard; then run update_sdcard;else if test ${irkey_value} = usb_burning; then run usb_burning;else if test ${irkey_value} = update_udisk; then run update_udisk;fi;fi;fi;fi;
    This button can be triggered by the 3 horizontal dashes button, lowerleft to the directional buttons (see attachment)
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by thijsnl; 10-18-2017, 08:19.

Comment

The latest Pro+ FW uses Press+Hold Key1 as the trigger according to a recent post
      Last edited by P.X; 10-18-2017, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
        The latest Pro+ FW uses Press-Hold Key1 as the trigger according to a recent post
        I can confirm its the 3 dashes button, because the U-boot had a test utility that outputs IR hex codes, so i did some trial and error

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
          So, I finally got my 2nd M8S Pro L today (after bricking the first one by accidentally flashing the M8S Pro bootloader)...and it's definitely my new favorite box.

With the TVStock ROM, it's everything you get in a Nexus Player but with the ports I really need (Ethernet, USB & microSD) for half the price. The only thing not quite right is the Google Cast receiver, and we're working on that. I know it's a little bit more than the M8S Pro+, but to me it's worth it for the Bluetooth, 5GHz WiFi, faster SoC, and reliable eMMC.

My biggest frustration is the lack of a damn reset switch.
          I'm very happy that a rom developer as you is so interested in this product, surely this will bring more improvements (like as a working Google Cast function).

In these days I was testing a M8S PRO (not L) but the lack of Widewine L1 is too important for me and I decided to buy the L version that will arrive on Monday.

I'm a little worried about the lack of the complete image, is there a risk of brick updating via OTA? Is it better to do it through Update or recovery?

One last question: did you notice differences in DDR3 and DDR4 usage?

Thank you for your work.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, until we get a burn package (.img file), your emergency recovery options are pretty limited. The online retailers are searching for this, but it's understandable that it wasn't an OEM priority given the lack of a reset switch. If you corrupt your bootloader or recovery partition (which happens rather frequently during custom ROM development), you're currently SOL. Shorting pins for Mask ROM mode won't help you if you don't have the .img file to flash.

At least we do have a fully functional TWRP recovery and we can generate signed OTA updates, so these boxes aren't really locked down hard. I'm also working with someone with more expertise on uboot to possibly modify the binaries (DDR.USB, UBOOT.USB, aml_sdc_burn.UBOOT) contained within the M8S Pro burn package so that they'll work on the M8S Pro L. That's more of a hack, but it might be good enough to rescue a bricked box.

Besides gearbest. What other stores do you guys recommend using to get 2 of these.

Comment

Bad Robot !!

Originally posted by P.X View Post
            Hi,

Bad Remote not Bad Box ?

If you are suffering the seemingly random Crash-to-Standby issue it is not random.
            Thanks to Clarkss12 & Pijo who discovered and confirmed it is caused by use of the Left-Button on remote.

From further testing with a second remote control unit I can confirm (sample of 2) it is caused by a faulty remote control - The left button on affected remote sometimes misses a Left-Command and sometimes sends 2 or 3 at once. Sometimes instead of going left the box receives a Standby signal and shuts down. A second remote does not do this behaviour (no misses/doubles/SB).
            I tested with new batteries and older rechargeables at lower voltage with the same results - only one remote exhibits this aberrant behaviour.

Bad Remote

Comment

In this box, just like with the M8S Pro+, I'm getting average temperatures of 80ºC both with stock firmware and the ATV one, isn't that way too high? I didn't get any freeze problems but that's because I didn't wait for them, have an old laptop cooler that I've put under the box and got it down to about 65ºC, still, not really a great solution.

Comment

I reattached my heatsink using Arctic Silver Epoxy. This is a permanent glue so no second thoughts ....
                I also changed to a 22x22 10mm high sink (cheap on ****) but I think the major benefit is from glue that is actually thermally conductive.

Comment

• trebor
                  trebor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes...you have done well

Notes on Heatsinks for M8S Pro+ (L)
                HERE #712

For Model L the HS is increased to 28x28 and a 10mm high HS will fit nicely

Comment

Originally posted by P.X
                  I reattached my heatsink using Arctic Silver Epoxy. This is a permanent glue so no second thoughts ....
                  I also changed to a 22x22 10mm high sink (cheap on ****) but I think the major benefit is from glue that is actually thermally conductive.
                  Thanks. I should do that for both this box and the Pro+. Certainly got to watch some youtube videos before cause I've never done it and I'm not so sure I got the skills to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Floki View Post

Thanks. I should do that for both this box and the Pro+. Certainly got to watch some youtube videos before cause I've never done it and I'm not so sure I got the skills to pull it off.
                    Sorry to say I didn't video it

The existing HS twists off with some slow persuasion - Just twist a little back and forth and it gradually gets looser and comes off.
                    Clean off the plastic glue - I use an old credit card edge / corner to scrape it off.
                    Clean any slight residue on chip and HS with alcohol - Isopropyl if you have it - or the special cleaner if you have that.

Mix glue if needed (2 Part Arctic Silver Epoxy)
                    Only use a small amount in a bead placed in the centre of the chip - Just enough such that with pressure it will squeeze out to fill the chip top face.
                    You can test how much to use with a cheap(er) thermal paste that doesn't stick (CPU Paste)
                    I used a 2.75Kg mass to hold the HS in place while the glue cures.

HTH
                    E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by thijsnl View Post
                      Yesterday i also received my Mecool M8S Pro L android box.

Same conclusions as Dope101 mentioned:

- firmware is Android TV version. Apps like Netflix and Youtube are not easy to control with mouse, but rely on the IR remote control included by the box.
                      - Google play store will install 'Android TV' versions of apps. e.g. i could not install GTA:VC or GTA:SA on this device by the play store.
                      - Spotify from the playstore is also the android TV version, so again not easy to control by mouse.

- Netflix is working in HD! Very good. I dont own a UHD TV, so cannot try the 4K, but HD is a great improvement.
                      - Youtube is working with HD as well!

- DRM tool is stock installed and showing L1 DRM

The box was shipped with firmwre 20170910.160404.V0619. There are update apps present, but OTA does not automaticly update by internet.

I could acknowledge that for the dutch visitors, the Z*ggo app IS working on this device both replay TV and live TV.
                      I am about to get the same model from lightinthebox. They say that this model does not have Bluetooth (true?), and I am not sure about whether it comes rooted or not (please reply). Funny to say is that it does not come with a remote control and I will have to buy one separately. That does not bother me too much as I was going to get an airmouse anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsemperor View Post

I am about to get the same model from lightinthebox. They say that this model does not have Bluetooth (true?), and I am not sure about whether it comes rooted or not (please reply). Funny to say is that it does not come with a remote control and I will have to buy one separately. That does not bother me too much as I was going to get an airmouse anyways.

Thanks in advance.
                        Hello,

I think this box is rooted, because i use the app 'Sixaxis Controller' which can only be used when the device is rooted. It works without any need for SU apps or other things, just out of the box. I can simply use my PS3 controller wirelessly so bluetooth is working too!

one note: the current installed firmware on this box is an AndroidTV version. Like i mentioned earlier, some apps that are specially build for ATV take a strong demand on using the remote to navigate rather then using the mouse. It simply.doesnt respond when clicking altough the mousecursor is at the right place. I've heard that a stock android variant is on the way by custom rom developers, but for now the remote is mandatory.

kind regards,

Mathjs

Comment

2 questions for everyone here.

anyway to get the top status bar back? I kind of liked having the options to see notifications whilst on the home screen.

secondly. When I shut the unit off by holding down the power button and selecting to turn it off. The little red light stays on.

is this normal or is it in standby mode ?

thanks in advance!

Comment

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'll release Nano and Stock (non-ATV) variants with the next Nexus custom ROM update. These will have the status and navigation bar features, but they're supposed to be hidden on Android TV.

Yes, the little red light is expected. Like many appliances, what appears to be off actually isn't. If there's power applied, the bootloader is running and waiting for an IR code to initiate a full power-up. (Sadly, this also means that the IR code for power on is usually hard coded in the bootloader.)

Originally posted by aspittles View Post

Thanks trebor trebor, I've just ordered one. It will be interesting to see if the Widevine Support fixes my Foxtel Now issues that i have with the M8S Pro
                          Finally recieved my M8S Pro L today. Only took a month and a half... Not impressed Gearbest.com...

Comment

Working...
                          X