Mecool M8S PRO L 4K TV Box Amlogic S912 Bluetooth 4.1 + HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a similar decision recently.

I wanted Netflix in HD and Kodi (for the stuff on my local network). 1080P is fine, I don't have a 4K TV, either.

The problem with the Mi Box is that it doesn't have an ethernet port. I didn't have cat5e run in the attic and walls to all my TVs for nothing.

I also considered the Wetek hub, but it's kind of expensive for what it is, and I hear it has problems with 5.1 sound for Netflix.

The Mecool M8S Pro W would be good, except no bluetooth. I want to use a bluetooth remote/keyboard.

So I ordered the Mecool M8S Pro L. My only concern with it would be if I get one that has the overheating problem, which would suck. I haven't received it, yet.

I've got 4 WDTV media players that are about 5 years old that I want to replace eventually. They do a great job of playing videos, but the user interface is slow and clunky.

Comment

Hi dave3,
      It's easy to add an ethernet port to a Mi Box with an external USB/Ethernet hub apparently. Anyway, I've ordered the M8S Pro L now from Gearbest (Flash sale), so we'll see how it goes.
      I'm also worried about the overheating problem, but I'm prepared to pull it apart and do something about the heatsink.

Anybody tried a small fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Xizor View Post
        Hi dave3,
        It's easy to add an ethernet port to a Mi Box with an external USB/Ethernet hub apparently. Anyway, I've ordered the M8S Pro L now from Gearbest (Flash sale), so we'll see how it goes.
        I'm also worried about the overheating problem, but I'm prepared to pull it apart and do something about the heatsink.

I upgraded the HS on my L but it did not make a massive difference. Lifting the lid 3mm helps a little with airflow but I feel a hot day would still defeat it.
        Trebor's under-floor thermal pad and plate would no doubt help some more.

A 5V 30mm Dia. 10mm deep Pi fan is dirt cheap (xBay) and with the standard HS will fit inside the case. Need to add air holes to the lid.
        Tried with no lid and it works a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Xizor View Post
          Hi dave3,

Hopefully the M8S Pro L will work out, otherwise I'll reconsider the Mi Box if I can find an ethernet dongle that will be compatible with it.

Some people have Pro L's that work fine without overheating. Maybe some CPU's are a better grade than others? Often times a manufacturer will grade the CPU and the ones that can be pushed harder without overheating become the top model, and the ones that fail become a lower model that can still be used as long as it isn't pushed as hard.

Perhaps in this case, the lower grade CPU's just go to random unlucky customers.

Comment

I just killed my Mecool M8S Pro L box. Was trying to replace the heat sink, and guess I damaged a part somewhere. The blue LED lights when plugged in, but no audio or video output. Tested on 3 different inputs on my TV and also a different TV. One strange thing, when I connected the box to my computer using my home made USB to USB cable, it connected right away. The Amlogic USB burning tool sees it, but I don't have an IMG file to install on this box. Even if I can burn a ROM to it, I doubt if it will work, since I think I damaged the hardware.

Now, do I purchase another one, and try again, or just give up, I have too many boxes as it is........

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Trebor, you are amazing....................... Are you sure you are not my fairy God father???????? lol
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

• trebor
                trebor commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm no Glass slippers or Pumpkins here fella ;-)

Wait till firmware come out may be just shorted it. Steel toe shoes in the China shop again
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Burning it, but gets stuck at 7%, tried twice so far. Guess it is beyond saving....... Out of all my boxes, this is the first one that I have killed and not been able to revive......... Perhaps this is an omen??

Edit: Tried with burn card method, still no dice.... No video output.

Edit 2: Execute play "B".
                Last edited by clarkss12; 11-13-2017, 19:33.

Comment

Does anyone know the changelog of version 0928?

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Create a LibreELEC OS on a microSD card, and use that for testing. If it does Play perfectly, you can "assume", you have issues with the firmware and not the hardware. It does not affect your existing Android OS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6pZwjvLEMk&t=127s
                    Bought an sd card, and used librelec and latest kodi and so far 8 hours no freezing or rebooting. I suspect it is a firmware issue. Will also try the new firmware once I have a chance too, or , maybe magedanz ROM

Last edited by RobertK; 11-15-2017, 02:14.

Comment

Just FYI, I was able to recover my original bricked M8S Pro L using Mask ROM mode and this .img file posted by @geekbuying : http://geekbuying.mediafire.com/file...1557.V0619.img

Checking with DRMInfo, both the Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x keys were intact after the recovery. (We had some worries that the hard eMMC reset might wipe those, but it seems those concerns were unfounded.)

Comment

Is new one actual ATV or just still Frankienstine version with just play store ect.
                        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                          Is new one actual ATV or just still Frankienstine version with just play store ect.
                          Actual ATV - But not as nice as Magendanz ATV

Posting a few thoughts in the OEM thread .... #064

Comment

Just curious anyone checked to see if it' 64 bit?

Comment

Guest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nope, still 32-bit. But with only 3GB DRAM, that's probably not so critical.
                          Working...
                          X