Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mecool M8S PRO L Blue Tooth Voice Control 3/32GB Amlogic S912 A7.1 YT 4K Netflix HD Dual WiFi BT4.1 100Mbps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me do that never.
    I just make post of what's about the rest is up to you...
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

For the price, this is a fantastic device, especially with that Bluetooth remote. Videostrong is leaving all the other manufacturers in the dust. The only thing left for them to reach perfection, is better cooling, gigabit Ethernet and actual chromecasting.

I remember the first few boxes, the expectations were that they would run an hour without rebooting. Then, finding a box that would passthrough Dolby Digital, was like trying to find a specific sand pebble on a sandy beach. Videostrong is setting very high bars for the others to follow.

My new "L" box has never crashed, froze or rebooted since I received it a week or so ago.
      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

I can agree, they have come along way and hope they go further,
        Heat can be problem if it causes trouble, Small laptop cooler or creative mods are pretty easy.

Other makers of similar units better start getting their act together, or all we will talk about is this

Enjoy and wait to see what I have to show you next
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post

Temptation

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
            I can agree, they have come along way and hope they go further,
            Heat can be problem if it causes trouble, Small laptop cooler or creative mods are pretty easy.

Other makers of similar units better start getting their act together, or all we will talk about is this

Trebor, is there a way I can ban you from my viewing??? I can't afford you anymore.
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

• trebor
              trebor commented
              Editing a comment
              Will add spoiler alerts in future posts aimed at you to save you from Temptation.

No peeking Now....

M8s Pro -w and the -L

Well I ordered the -W on the 22nd of Feb. and waiting to see how it works out with the new Android TV O.S. Then realized a 912 version of same or the -L was available, so I also ordered this unit.
            Waiting on both to show up. W might show up next week, a couple of weeks for the -L. I will most likely pass on the Plus versions to new cord cutters.

On both, it appears that a modification of adding a small fan should help with the heat problem? I hope to be able to find a power source internally that would allow the fan to turn off when not in use.
            I have seen the P.X. videos on adding the fan and heat sinks, but was hoping to find a switchable fan on and off without adding a manual switch, maybe to optimistic.
            I have the MeCool M8S Pro +, and when doing scraping sources via kodi or terrarium the temperature runs at 80-81C, I am guessing the -W would be the same or close. So far the plus has not been modded with heat sink or having a fan. Also it has not had any problems running, I have two of them one with the OEM Standard Android, and a Second unit with the Magendaz Android TV, both run about the same temp.

I have looked at using a thermistor and a op amp outboard to control the fan if I cannot find a suitable switched power source inside the box. Have yet to breadboard the outboard switch scheme, prefer to
            really keep it simple.

Great Forum BobFlyer

Comment

Cheap solution that works well for me is a cheap usb cooling pad from the Pound shop ...keeps temps between 38 to 48 on my boxes ... cost 1.50 euro and works well .
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by steel120
                M8s Pro -w and the -L

Well I ordered the -W on the 22nd of Feb. and waiting to see how it works out with the new Android TV O.S. Then realized a 912 version of same or the -L was available, so I also ordered this unit.
                Waiting on both to show up. W might show up next week, a couple of weeks for the -L. I will most likely pass on the Plus versions to new cord cutters.

On both, it appears that a modification of adding a small fan should help with the heat problem? I hope to be able to find a power source internally that would allow the fan to turn off when not in use.
                I have seen the P.X. videos on adding the fan and heat sinks, but was hoping to find a switchable fan on and off without adding a manual switch, maybe to optimistic.
                I have the MeCool M8S Pro +, and when doing scraping sources via kodi or terrarium the temperature runs at 80-81C, I am guessing the -W would be the same or close. So far the plus has not been modded with heat sink or having a fan. Also it has not had any problems running, I have two of them one with the OEM Standard Android, and a Second unit with the Magendaz Android TV, both run about the same temp.

I have looked at using a thermistor and a op amp outboard to control the fan if I cannot find a suitable switched power source inside the box. Have yet to breadboard the outboard switch scheme, prefer to
                really keep it simple.

Great Forum BobFlyer

You can connect the fan at 5V to one of the USB ports on the underside of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by steel120 View Post
                  M8s Pro -w and the -L

really keep it simple.

Great Forum BobFlyer

Hi,

I updated my fan mod to run from the USB pins which it turns out are switched after all - The fan runs too fast for me at 5V so I added a 33ohm resistor in series with the fan to drop to 3.3V for my fan.
                  Resistor value depends on fan chosen.
                  I measured the current draw of the fan and used R=V/I to get fan resistance - Series resistor is then 1/2 Fan resistance (my fan is 67ohm).

Comment

See Overheating thread

Originally posted by P.X View Post
                    Improved Pi Fan Mod

40x40x11mm Heatsink
                    30mm Pi Fan
                    33ohm Resistor

Changed power supply to 5V from USB (How did I get it wrong ? Thinking that it wasn't switched ???)
                    Power Feed from underside of board USB Pin +ve
                    Route through 33ohm resistor for 3.3V (ref. my fan - your fan may vary)
                    Added direct feed to switch for Full Power if needed

Click image for larger version Name:	Fan-3.3Vor5.0V.jpg Views:	2 Size:	169.8 KB ID:	710585
                    You don't need the switch. I just wired it in because I already had it installed.
                    Last edited by P.X; 03-03-2018, 19:39.

Comment

My box after rebooting stucked in boot logo. Is there any way for hardware or software reset? Can you tell me where I can find the official firmware to download it. I had contacted with bangood and it seems that they cannot help me.

Comment

P.X.

Thanks for the update on the switch USB source, this makes it very simple, I am glad that the USB is switched. Only need to run the fan while box is on.
                        Just need to have the new M8S Pro -w and -L to arrive.

Again Thanks BobFlyer

Saved me some work...I do have a couple of the 30mm fans on the way also.

Did you go into setting for the Power off shut down option and check the box for turn off vs sleep mode? My guess would be turn off/shut down? In the sleep mode perhaps the
                        USB is still active with the 5v dc rail?

Comment

Originally posted by steel120 View Post
                          P.X.

Thanks for the update on the switch USB source, this makes it very simple, I am glad that the USB is switched. Only need to run the fan while box is on.
                          Just need to have the new M8S Pro -w and -L to arrive.

Again Thanks BobFlyer

Saved me some work...I do have a couple of the 30mm fans on the way also.

Did you go into setting for the Power off shut down option and check the box for turn off vs sleep mode? My guess would be turn off/shut down? In the sleep mode perhaps the
                          USB is still active with the 5v dc rail?
                          Standby and Off seem the same in the versions I've seen. Latest has no S/B option. Maybe earlier firmwares were different as I was sure USB wasn't switched, but don't want to go back and check as happy it is now.
                          Resistor in series for a quieter fan is well worth the effort.

Comment

where do get this exact same rom to install on prevois mecool m8s pro l

Comment

• trebor
                              trebor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Keep post to one thread not all over the place please
                              Not available as yet or released.

Read threads you will find some answers.

M8S Pro -L Arrived Today

Kernel 3.14.29
                            Monday Feb 5 11:19:24 2018
                            7.1.1 NHG47L
                            20180205 111652.V0928

Unit is working, it did not ask me to pair the remote on the power up

Remote is working, however, I am not sure just how it is supposed to work with various apks
                            No pause/stop/forward/back/ and others on remote. I am sure there must be some multiple press of keys for these
                            functions.

Power on/off works

I only installed 3 new apks to start...Cpu Temp, SpeedTest, and Pluto TV
                            Cpu temp is high runs about 65c on Pluto stream.
                            Ethernet speed is as expected, I have a 100Mbps service, speedtest shows about 93Mbps all good.

Home page only has one long row of the install Applications, below the larger fixed non manageable? top row.
                            Trebor shows two rows above, and my -W has two rows.
                            Must be some setting has caused this..????

I am fumbling with the remote that came with the unit, so in my attempts to figure out what key does what may have caused the application row to change, it was at the
                            very first turn on two rows of applications.

Just not sure period about the remote and available functions. Also, since I did not have to pair the unit, and is working, does this mean I need to do a reset just to pair the BT remote?
                            I removed the batteries in the remote and plugged them back in and unit responds to the remote o.k. Did not ask me to pair remote

Any suggestions on remote and the single row of long applications verses the two rows of application display.
                            Guidance on this appreciated. Pulling my hair.

Good news is it is a working unit.

Thanks in advance BobFlyer

Comment

Working...
                            X