MeCool M8S Pro L (LB version) - Hung on Pairing Remote Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MeCool M8S Pro L (LB version) - Hung on Pairing Remote Screen

UPDATE: A WORK-AROUND/FIX (this may un-brick your bricked box like I did with mine, see my post on page 3 in this thread)

MeCool M8S Pro L (LB version)

In Android Recovery:
    Amlogic/q20x/q20x
    7.1.2/NHG47L/20180417.150752.V0213

I ordered a couple of these a couple weeks ago. They were working fine. The OTA update in 04/18 even works. Yesterday, one of them kept giving me "Bluetooth Sharing has stopped". I did a factory reset on it and it seemed to help it last night. This morning, it started acting up again. I did another factory reset and it is hung in the blue pair remote screen. I took it apart and did a manual reset and wiped it that way with same results.

I have looked for a custom ROM for it on here but this is the newer LB version and I can't seem to find one that will work on it, I can't even find a stock image I can load. If there is one, could someone please point me to it?

I am having a feeling that the bluetooth components have died in the box???

Any ideas sure would be appreciatted
    Last edited by Wanderer190; 06-21-2018, 14:40.

That does seem like a hardware problem. It should have never given you a problem where you had to do a factory reset, because of that Bluetooth warning. And you are correct, there are no custom ROMS and no factory ROM for that box.

I would contact the vendor and request a replacement box.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
      That does seem like a hardware problem. It should have never given you a problem where you had to do a factory reset, because of that Bluetooth warning. And you are correct, there are no custom ROMS and no factory ROM for that box.

I would contact the vendor and request a replacement box.
      @clarkss12: Thanks for the reply. I have already contacted the vendor. Waiting for reply (in China of course). Very dissapointed so far. I love the boxes so far, until this. Got me scared of them now.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
        And you are correct, there are no custom ROMS and no factory ROM for that box.
        There are, however, TWRP restore images in another thread here (somewhere in the SCV2 for M8s Pro L ROM thread). The 20180417 image saved my own LB from brickland.

If you have only reset and not reflashed your box, try booting it and see if your cellphone finds it in its Bluetooth pairing menu. If not, i'd definitely return it. If it does see it, i'd put TWRP on the box and then download and TWRP restore that 20180417 image to it.

Comment

Originally posted by t23 View Post

There are, however, TWRP restore images in another thread here (somewhere in the SCV2 for M8s Pro L ROM thread). The 20180417 image saved my own LB from brickland.

If you have only reset and not reflashed your box, try booting it and see if your cellphone finds it in its Bluetooth pairing menu. If not, i'd definitely return it. If it does see it, i'd put TWRP on the box and then download and TWRP restore that 20180417 image to it.

Very good points, T23.
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

I am not android savvy, and if I did it right, the phone (an old one android v4) is finding 2 unknown devices, I can assume that may be the 2 boxes, but won't connect to either of them. Is there a way I can clone the good box? Create a image of it. Then burn that image to the 1 acting up?

Comment

If you hit refresh a few times on your phone and nothing shows up as M8S PRO L (maybe with VS first), then it definitely does not communicate with the BT device.

Cloning, sure, but it does require you can get the faulty box onto the launcher (main interface). Otherwise we have to teach you how to make an USB cable and do it the hard way. All up to you how much effort you want to put into it, but i will gladly step you through it if you are up for the task. But we gotta determine if the BT device is actually alive first, otherwise it will be a dead end.

Comment

Originally posted by t23 View Post
                If you hit refresh a few times on your phone and nothing shows up as M8S PRO L (maybe with VS first), then it definitely does not communicate with the BT device.

Cloning, sure, but it does require you can get the faulty box onto the launcher (main interface). Otherwise we have to teach you how to make an USB cable and do it the hard way. All up to you how much effort you want to put into it, but i will gladly step you through it if you are up for the task. But we gotta determine if the BT device is actually alive first, otherwise it will be a dead end.
                Thx again for replying. When you say launcher (main intertace), you mean it actually is booting all the way up or into the boot loading screen as in a hard reset? I can get it to boot into the reset screen, but not into the actual Leanback Launcher. Do you use TWRP or something?

I am going to test with the phone pairing again now, have to get it back out and hooked up again. I tested with one of my Yoka boxes and it shows on phone, so now I get the concept of that part.

Comment

@t23: I would be curious how to make a clone of my working box, if you can share that with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer190 View Post

I can get it to boot into the reset screen, but not into the actual Leanback Launcher. Do you use TWRP or something?
                    By reset screen, do you mean the recovery menu? The one that offers you to apply updates and so on?

Comment

The one where you hit the reset button (well sorta, since this doesn't have one, short the pins) and it allows you load update via sd card or reset the device etc. or use USB Burner. It won't boot into the normal launcher, it gets hung on the bluetooth syncing screen. My good box will go past that screen, even if you don't pair the remote, but the bad box won't.

The bad box acts like its trying to load the bluetooth driver and its corrupt on the image or something

Comment

Sounds very much like where i was last weekend when loading an LQ image to an LB box. The "press 0 and Vol" screen is part of the setup wizard (or some prerequisite).

Can you ADB to it? Can you do "adb reboot recovery" and get into TWRP? Do you have the cable to USB burn? And most of all, do you have the patience to try?

Comment

And it is beginning to sound more and more like a very bad online update issue - if you refresh your firmware with the latest from April, your box is no longer an M8S_PRO_L but an M8S_PRO_L_4335. When i tried to flash the March firmware, i got an update offered that was six days older and not applicable to my box and build.
                          Last edited by t23; 05-12-2018, 17:13. Reason: (Typos corrected)

Comment

It did all start when I did the OTA update. I really have never fooled with ADB (unless that is on there and what it come to when you reset them). I usually put an image on micro cd to flash my boxes. For example, I flashed my Yoka KB2 Pro boxes to the Vorke1 image to get them on Android 7.1. Made a good difference with them.

I think it did a bad OTA update, it had been working fine the previous 2 weeks. That's why I was wondering how to get image from my good one to put on the bad one.

Like I said, never used ADB or cable way before

Comment

A bad OTA update got me into that. Ladies and Gents, can you please hook this person up with a working TWRP installer for the box?

Thing is, the only stock image for the LB comes in backup form from TWRP, so we need to get that flashed for you and give that a try. Mine was shipped with a firmware that offered me an upgrade from six days earlier, and i was stupid enough to click continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X