M8S Pro L changing DPI and resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8S Pro L changing DPI and resolution

I don't really understand whats going on but these are my findings. Using apps like aida64 and DPI switcher here is what I noticed.

Resolution: 1920x1080
    DPI: 320

Why that is weird is that I have my device set to output to my 4kTV at 4k@60fps via the display settings. And my TV info infor bar shows that its recieving a 4k@60hz signal. But apps like I have mentioned above and even the Youtube app seems to be saying something else. In youtube, when selecting 4k videos, the view port in the youtube stats is listed as 1920x1080*2. However, when changing the resolution in the dpi switcher app to 2560x1440/3840x2160, all the apps I mentioned above shows the display/viewport as 3840x2160.

Unfortunately there are a number of issues this all brings up too.

1. Messing with the DPI will make your recents menu (long press home) not appear anymore.

2. At the default rez of 1080p (thats what these apps are telling me I am outputting at even though my Tv sees 4k and I set 4k in settings), there is a range you can drop the DPI to before the recents stops working. Anything from 320 down to 290 is ok. Anything below 290 will give you the tablet UI in chrome but then you lose the recents menu.

3. One would think that you can just increase the rez but that has its own issues too. If you increase the rez within the app DPI switcher to 1440p, and leave the dpi at 320... you lose the recents menu again. You have to take it up to like 380 before it starts working but at this point your screen will look exactly as it was at 1080@320dpi.

4. If you set the rez to 2160p and don't raise the dpi again to match, you break the system UI. The wallpaper no longer fills the screen and you start to see UI glitches. And everything starts to stutter and slow down.

Edit: And just as I made a thread for this I sorted it out.

For whatever reason if DPI fell below that range I specified recents top working. So I installed a button mapper app and mapped set up the home button within the app to do what its already set to do by default. Now when messing with the DPI nothing happens to your recents menu.

yes.. the GUI of android / kodi / most apps and any thing software rendered is set to 1080
    But any thing hardware rendered like video is limited to codec or hardware used

YouTube..is DRM / device limited / default is 1080 or lower, but not for high class devices ( IYTBD can spoof another device allowing 4k/HDR )

Xda forum has a lot of info..Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      yes.. the GUI of android / kodi / most apps and any thing software rendered is set to 1080
      But any thing hardware rendered like video is limited to codec or hardware used

YouTube..is DRM / device limited / default is 1080 or lower, but not for high class devices ( IYTBD can spoof another device allowing 4k/HDR )

Xda forum has a lot of info..Cheers
      Speaking of youtube I am having an issue where I can't seem to play anything for longer than 30secs or so. I even tried uninstalling it to see if I could install an older version but no luck. System reboots everytime I try.

Comment

If you want to do it without using Apps...

via an ADB (connected) Shell change the GUI display Density& display Resolution to what ever you want:
        eg:

su
        wm density 320
        wm size 1920x1080

Android TV use a standard density of 320, Android Tablet/Mobile uses 240 I think (bit foggy on that one)

Comment

Working...
        X