Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S Pro TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magendanz
    VideoStrong just released 20170918.111557.V0619 firmware for the M8S Pro L. While the bootloader is incompatible with the M8S Pro, I was able to use the last OEM M8S Pro bootloader and create an AML burn package (.img file) for us to play with.

OEM Burn Package: http://freaktab.org/76ed10f83ceeab6c

Note that this is a quasi-ATV build (has Google Play Store for Android TV, but not the Android TV Launcher), and it's also locked down with some proprietary form of Android Verified Boot (AVB), so we probably won't be able to install TWRP anytime soon. However, I was able to mount the system image in Ubuntu and make some tweaks to the build.prop and launcher logo just to customize it for the M8S Pro. So far, it seems to be behaving well.

So, with a slightly more awkward process I was able to create the following:

Nexus TVStock variant: M8S_PRO-V0619_TVStock-20170928.img

Despite my inability to install TWRP recovery, I really like this ROM. It's fast, plays 4K@60fps in KODI smoothly, has a nicely laid out Settings menu with all the functions you need. Best of all, they've fixed the longstanding problem with the Action Bar on Android TV, so you can access features like VPN.

I'm holding off on an official update until I can really understand what's going on with TWRP and boot verification, but thought I'd share here for folks who don't care about that stuff.
    Ethernet and WiFi ok?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, both seem to be working fine.

I have an issue with MECOOL M8S Pro (see spec below) while playing IPTV. Blank screen on specified channel with Audio ON.
    While IPTV worked perfectly on much lower end MXQ Pro (see spec below)
    No improvement even after local update to NEXUS M8S Pro.

Wrote to the IPTV service provider, it is suspected due to unsupported decorder format on the TVBox.
    Below is the comparison on the support format on M8S Pro & MXQ Pro.

Decorder format for M8S Pro ($60+)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.01.29 AM.png
Views:	243
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	674498

Decoder format for MXQ Pro ($30+)

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.20.02 AM.png
Views:	244
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	674499

Query,
    1. Apart from waiting on for future firmware update hoping on to release more comprehensive support Decoder format.
    Can someone recommend decorder installer procedure onto M8S Pro?

2. To my surprise, I found M8S Pro L (see below) actually do have more support Decorder format.
    I tried with the local firmware update M8S Pro L onto M8S Pro. Resulted in error and could not complete due to Version Q20x

Decoder format for M8S Pro L

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.00.27 AM.png
Views:	215
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	674500

Thank you for your attention!
    Attached Files

Comment

One other thing... This new version is clean install, right? No way to backup/restore apps, settings, kodi config...?...

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, until I can generate an OTA update for this ROM. I will do that soon.

Changelog (20170930):
      • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20170918.111557.V0619)
      • Reverted to stock OEM recovery, due to new Android Verified Boot checks
      • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the Action Bar bug in Android TV
      • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the More Settings crash in Android TV
      • Underlying OEM firmware updated to Android TV 7.1.2r11 (NHG47L)
      • The Terminal app now shows only when enabled in Developer Options
      • Restored default settings (e.g. animation scale, sound effects) from Nexus Player
      • Latest build from Open GApps (20170930)
      Download:
      Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2017, 07:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
        Changelog (20170930):
        • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20170918.111557.V0619)
        • Reverted to stock OEM recovery, due to new Android Verified Boot checks
        • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the Action Bar bug in Android TV
        • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the More Settings crash in Android TV
        • Underlying OEM firmware updated to Android TV 7.1.2r11 (NHG47L)
        • The Terminal app now shows only when enabled in Developer Options
        • Restored default settings (e.g. animation scale, sound effects) from Nexus Player
        • Latest build from Open GApps (20170930)
        Download:
        Not so related to the ROM, but what's the differnce between M8S Pro L vs M8S Pro? Besides the DDR3 vs DDR4 ?
        I see that Pro L is slightly more expensive than the Pro, which is weird since Pro has DDR4.
        Am I missing something?
        Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2017, 07:45.

Comment

• trebor
          trebor commented
          Editing a comment
          L version support L1 or suppose to

No mention of the Pro doing so as yet.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's being advertised as having Widevine L1 support, but I don't have one yet to confirm.

Changelog (20171001):
        • Rebuilt TWRP with new V0619 kernel, which seems to work on this device
        • Bluetooth now starts on by default
        • Added support for all HID devices (e.g. remotes, gamepads, etc.) on latest Nougat firmware for Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV & Xiamoi Mi Box
        Download:

Comment

Changelog (20171001):
          • Added support for all HID devices (e.g. remotes, gamepads, etc.) on latest Nougat firmware for Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV & Xiamoi Mi Box
          Download:
          Hi thanks for your work. In the last package, i had problems with some apps: Netflix and Raiplay (Italian generalist tv channels app). Do you think that with this package it will be resolved? Thanks in advance

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            No, those problems are most likely because this device doesn't have Widevine L1 certification. Firmware updates won't change that. If this is important to you, consider purchasing the new M8S Pro L.

Changelog (20171001):
          Download:
          Hi!

Thank you very much for your efforts!
          I'm on M8S_PRO-V0619_TVStock-20170928. Can I OTA UPDATE over it?

Thanks again,
          Best regards,

Edit: Yes, we can!!
          Last edited by Passaralho; 10-03-2017, 21:17.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, you definitely can. :-)

Changelog (20171001):
          Download:
          Hello, i've readed your answer (but i don't know how to quote directly there). With the original firmware i was able to see RaiPlay and also Netflix i remember starts. There was some problems, indeed, with the streamings, but they runs...

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that was because you previously had installed the non-ATV versions designed for tablets and phones. This custom ROM (and the V0619 firmware upon which it's based) is Android TV, and so has the Google Play Store for Android TV. I'm not familiar with RaiPlay, but Netflix for Android TV will refuse to play on devices that don't have Widevine L1 certification. You can still sideload the non-ATV version of Netflix by just installing it from APKMirror.com, but the Google Play Store for Android TV will only serve up Android TV apps.

Any one who has installed the latest firmware (20170918.111557.V0619) and has a Dolby Vision TV, can you check whether Dolby Vision HDR works? There are two options for Dolby Vision in this firmware (follow sink, follow source). I tried it with a LG OLED and it didn't work for me. You can find Dolby Vision clips in Kodi Wiki samples (http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples).

Comment

Just FYI, I did another rolling update this evening to address the following minor issues:
            • Set boot animation speed back to standard (not sure why VS messed with that)
            • Set Android version number to correctly match the build ID (NHG47L => 7.1.2)
            • Fixed preinstall script to stop overriding the 12/24 hr clock setting
            There's no formal update notice for these rolling fixes. You just need to refresh your download. For most users, they're not even worth mentioning, but you could elect to do a quick OTA update in TWRP and no data wipe would be needed.

Comment

Just FYI, I did another rolling update this evening to address the following minor issues:
              • Set boot animation speed back to standard (not sure why VS messed with that)
              • Set Android version number to correctly match the build ID (NHG47L => 7.1.2)
              • Fixed preinstall script to stop overriding the 12/24 hr clock setting
              There's no formal update notice for these rolling fixes. You just need to refresh your download. For most users, they're not even worth mentioning, but you could elect to do a quick OTA update in TWRP and no data wipe would be needed.
              Just done the update with the new ota but it just sticks/hangs on the nexus boot screen. Had no issues with any of the other previous ota updates with this great rom. Has anyone else had this issue?

UPDATE: Had to reboot the device 3 times but it all seems to be working now. Really appreciate the work you have done on this rom.
              Last edited by boxno1; 10-09-2017, 11:09.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                That's strange. I just ran an update from 20170817.103347.V0321 and it worked fine. Which version did you start with?

How do you update the rom from 20170825 to the new one you released.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Just install it! Either the updater or the burn package will work.

Originally posted by dani1215 View Post
              How do you update the rom from 20170825 to the new one you released.
              a) download the OTA and put it into a sdcard; insert that sdcard in your box
              b) boot into recovery by pressing the reset button while powering on your box
              c) flash the update like you would in an android phone

I think this is it!

Comment

Hi, to all

First of all, thank you Magendanz for your work building these roms!

I`ve tried 20171001 Nexus TV Stock rom and faced number of issues:

1. Wifi speed performance on 5Ghz seemed slightly slower then on VS stock V0321 firmware
                2. Screensaver shuts down running apps, for example if i leave paused video on youtube or on Kodi player for 5min (default setting value for screensaver) ir turns off everything.
                3.Facing green artifacts when playing videos (youtube, kodi). It appears for a few seconds when video play is started, then disappears. Sometimes appears in the middle of video playing, but its rare.

Previously used VS stock firmwares, also faced some instability issues. but none of these.

Comment

Working...
                X